Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blueberry is a great dog for this family. ... but I’m just wondering if anyone has found your poodle grows into snuggling? Right now he is too distracted by everything to really snuggle. I love this eager energetic boy. But I kind of miss having a lap dog.

·
Premium Member
23,881 Posts
I suspect that he will probably settle into enjoying snuggles when some of his puppy energy scrubs off. Either way it is all wonderful, isn't it?

·
Registered
472 Posts
While Bobby always has wanted to be close to us he didn’t really start snuggling until later into his first year. I wouldn’t say he is a total lap dog though. However, while not a total lap dog he makes up for with his awesome ability to connect. Now my previous dog, a Great Dane, was a true lap dog as only a Great Dane can do it! 🤣 He was the most cuddly dog I have ever experienced! Puppies and young dogs are so busy...I would place bets your Blueberry will grow into snuggling.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Yes Misha did not start snuggling until around 9 months. It was important to not push things. He is very put off by people forcing contact and needed it to be on his own terms. But now he loves to sleep right next to me with his head resting on me.

·
Premium Member
3,711 Posts
At 5m and a week old, I wrote in my poodle journal that the boys were starting to show some cuddly behavior. The first photo I thought to take of my lap and legs occupied by both boys was at 1y 4m, in response to a member asking a similar question.

Somewhere in between the two ages, probably 6-7m, it became impossible to sit without a poodle appearing in a lap.

It probably won't be so very long til you'll need permission to get up from your seat :).

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
My minipoo used to lay next to me with her head on my body but two years ago she decided to climb onto my lap. I can’t do a zoom meeting with out her on my lap now, she knows my schedule 😀

Reactions: Getting ready

·
Registered
707 Posts
How old is blueberry now?

I’ll chime in to say that there’s a good chance he will become more snuggly after he’s a year old.
As an older puppy, Lacey enjoyed lying on the couch but she wouldn’t want to be touching me. She was VERY anti snuggle. She had a moment during her 1st heat at 9 months and then was back to wanting her space.

Once she hit 1 year old she suddenly became very snuggly with me, but she still has her times she prefers to lay at the end of the couch away from me. A few months later she became snuggly with my boyfriend (we live together). Even more so with him than she is with me!

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
Something that might be true for Blueberry, too: Peggy ran very hot as a puppy. She overwhelmingly preferred sprawling out on the cool floor to curling up in her bed.

Then a switch flipped as she got deeper into adolescence. Now she loves to curl up into a tight ball, and I suspect some of her cuddling is actually designed to steal as much human body heat as possible.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Something that might be true for Blueberry, too: Peggy ran very hot as a puppy. She overwhelmingly preferred sprawling out on the cool floor to curling up in her bed.

Then a switch flipped as she got deeper into adolescence. Now she loves to curl up into a tight ball, and I suspect some of her cuddling is actually designed to steal as much human body heat as possible.
Haha Misha's desire to cuddle is often tied to the length of his coat! I know Peggy was quite a fluffy puppy so that could have had something to do with it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sammy was a very dependent puppy, but not much of a snuggler. He wanted to be close to me, followed me everywhere, but if I tried to put him on my lap, he would hop off and either lie on my feet or next to me.

Now, at almost 2 yrs old, he is very much a snuggler. Sometimes, I wish for those days where he was more aloof. Now, he will get right on top of me, snuggle in and paw at me constantly to pet him. If I'm not petting in the right place, he will move my hand to the desired location.

I do think they get more snuggly with age. It's a trade off though. I've gotten plenty of leg cramps because I didn't want to disturb my snuggly dog while in bed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts