Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been complaining to BF every morning for the past week about the end of summer and having to go back to work tomorrow. He gives no sympathy. I do get that he is stuck with work roughly 50 weeks of the year and I am not so his sympathies are limited, but I really don't want to go to work tomorrow (really, not ever again, wish I could retire).

At any rate for all the teachers and students here I wish you all a successful academic year.

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
Ah, I well remember that feeling. Most of my family were teachers of various age groups, and the gradual gloom overcame them all as the summer holidays came to an end. But once they retired Sunday nights and Monday mornings were filled with joyful warblings ("No marking!", "No planning!", "No meetings!"), and September became a time of celebration - your day too will come!

·
Premium Member
22,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fjm. This is the 32nd start of the teaching school year for me. I am hoping I won't see a 40th, but do expect to have the first free September be somewhere in the middle of that time frame.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
haha, most of the teachers around here have been back in school for at least two weeks. Even most of the universities have been back in class - not sure about the small ones.

Count yourself lucky you have until tomorrow.

However I know how you feel - DH took two weeks off and he goes back tomorrow and I'm dreading it. We're getting the wood floors on our first floor sanded and refinished and some work done on the bedroom level as well. We have to have everything removed from the first floor and most of the second floor empty as well - that means everything in drawers, cabinets, even the stove and fridge has to be moved to the basement level. We're been working like crazy getting rid of stuff, donating all over the place, hazardous waste pickup, etc. There's still a ton more to do and now that DH is back at work with long hours and some traveling - it's really one me. I'm selfish and want him home helping me.

OTOH it feels good to minimize, get rid of stuff we've collected for a million years that have no meaning to us and we haven't looked at in at least 20 years since we moved into this house. And once all the work is done in the house, it will be like living in a new house again.

Enjoy your last day of freedom.

·
Premium Member
22,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Skylar that sounds very exciting to have so many nice projects going on around your house, but the prep does sound like getting ready to move (something I hope never to do again). zooeysmom when do your classes start? or have they already?

In areas like the midwest I think the school year is offset from the northeast (going back to agriculture calendars and weather I guess). Our school years generally go from around Labor Day through to late in June.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
OTOH it feels good to minimize, get rid of stuff we've collected for a million years that have no meaning to us and we haven't looked at in at least 20 years since we moved into this house. And once all the work is done in the house, it will be like living in a new house again.

:love2: Minimalism rocks! Have you seen "Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things" on Netflix? :love2:

zooeysmom when do your classes start? or have they already?
My classes start on 9/17. I'm attending a private university.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
:love2: Minimalism rocks! Have you seen "Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things" on Netflix? :love2:
No, and sadly I don't get Netflix - but I'll look for it when it comes out on DVD in my library. There's something freeing about only having what you need.

zooeysmom, good luck on your classes - I think it's wonderful you're going back to school.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
6a00d8341c4eab53ef0120a5171bdb970b-550wi.jpg Hope your end-of-summer return to teaching doesn't bring you this guy! LOL:banghead:

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
No, and sadly I don't get Netflix - but I'll look for it when it comes out on DVD in my library. There's something freeing about only having what you need.

zooeysmom, good luck on your classes - I think it's wonderful you're going back to school.
Thanks, Skylar :) If you're interested, the Minimalists are on YouTube with some great videos until you are able to see the documentary. https://www.youtube.com/user/jmillburn

·
Registered
7,103 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Well Happy back to school! When I grew up in NYC it was right after Labor Day till end of June. Here in the South its pretty early August/mid May. So teachers have been back. I use to babysit for my neighbors child who teaches 1st grade. She hates going back, loves teaching though its all the state paperwork involved now. And believe it or not the little ones are coming into school with lots of problems, last ear she got kicked and punched..1st grade unbelievable to me. My daughters University tarted two weeks ago, her last semester of Nursing. She has two classes. She likes to have one but they didn't offer the summer class for whatever reason this past summer. I think they made some changes and wanted to see how it goes, that one is mostly on line. I can't wait till she is thru and passes her boards. This is her 2nd degree, she is 31 now, has a BA in biology , but got no where. So till with mama and working on a career!

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I've noticed a huge shift of when school begins to earlier and earlier. About 20 years ago it used to be after labor day where I live currently and now it's a week or two before labor day depending on the school board or university. I'm not sure why - it's definitely not agriculturally related. Maybe to have more school days on the calendar in case they have to close school for weather related problems and not go over the "last" day of school at the end of the year? Or maybe because class rooms have air conditioning now so heat isn't a problem indoors?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts