Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to treat and rid my mothers cream colored toy poodle of a red area on her lower back/butt area. It is a large area and not just a small spot and it itches her. Not only is her fur reddish but it appears her skin is too. Her skin is not flaky and we have changed her food and don't believe its due to that. It does not wash off. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,807 Posts
That rusty red color is probably saliva staining from licking and chewing that area. Could be any number of things, from fleas to allergies, and the best thing to do would to see a Veterinary Dermatologist. The poor girl itching constantly is a miserable thing that can lead to open sores and skin infections. Please see a Vet!

·
Registered
11,594 Posts
It looks as if she has been biting and licking the area, causing staining similar to tear stains. She needs to see a vet to determine what is causing the soreness or irritation that is making her worry at it - could be many things, including anal glands. Solve the underlying problem and the marking should clear as the stained fur is clipped off.

eta - posting at the same time, MMM!

·
Premium Member
22,142 Posts
Oh yes, vet for sure ASAP. She is uncomfortable (at the least) so get on track with meaningful diagnostics and a good treatment plan. I hope the diagnosis and solution provide clear answers.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
I agree, see a vet to get at the underlying cause.

The redness is probably due to licking.

Was your dog this dark red when you got her and did she clear to cream? I have a silver minipoo. She got a bee sting last year and where the swelling occurred, her hair started to grow in black which was her color as a puppy. It took several months before the hair started to grow lighter and lighter till it finally matched the rest of her silver. If what is causing the licking and irritation is also causing inflammation it may have caused the hair in that area to grow temporarily her original puppy color if she was red originally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts