Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large pup (I think) and am unsure if I'm feeding her enough.

She seems to eat about 2 cups (total) a day. I give her food 3-4 times a day but worry the schedule is not providing enough food for her.

For some context:
At 10 weeks she was 20lbs, about 18" withers/21" head and at 12 weeks, 24lbs, ~21" withers, ~25" head.

I appreciate any insight.

·
Registered
833 Posts
What does your vet say?

It's one of those situations where being hands-on and in person is going to be more valuable to evaluate then over a forum.

On that note, if your furparent instincts say she needs more food, then feed her more. She'll consume more as each week goes by, like a human teenager going through a growth spurt. So, you'll need give more. Same idea.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Feeding 3-4 times per day is certainly frequent enough, don't forget you are probably feeding treats as well for training, those calories can add up quite a bit extra!
Gaining 4 lbs in two weeks is a pretty significant weight gain as well, so that seems to be on track.
The cups of food is not really a useful comparison, since energy content can vary wildly between brands. Best to look at the kcal per day (don't forget to include additional sources) and compare that to a feeding guide.
Here is an example of how to calculate energy requirements, but as you can see it still is a rough guideline

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does your vet say?

It's one of those situations where being hands-on and in person is going to be more valuable to evaluate then over a forum.

On that note, if your furparent instincts say she needs more food, then feed her more. She'll consume more as each week goes by, like a human teenager going through a growth spurt. So, you'll need give more. Same idea.
Thanks for your response! We're taking her to the vet this week and will definitely ask!

That logic makes sense!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is she eating a large breed puppy kibble? The serving size should be on the side of the bag, and it will increase with her age and weight before eventually leveling off.
Yes! Large puppy kibble. My concern is some guidelines feed based on projected weight. I'm unsure how much her parents weigh but the mom is about 3' and the dad around 50” (head not withers)... Which isn't helpful, I know haha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Feeding 3-4 times per day is certainly frequent enough, don't forget you are probably feeding treats as well for training, those calories can add up quite a bit extra!
Gaining 4 lbs in two weeks is a pretty significant weight gain as well, so that seems to be on track.
The cups of food is not really a useful comparison, since energy content can vary wildly between brands. Best to look at the kcal per day (don't forget to include additional sources) and compare that to a feeding guide.
Here is an example of how to calculate energy requirements, but as you can see it still is a rough guideline
This excellent! I'll keep (and use) this resource and your comments in mind. Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Just confirming that your pup is a standard poodle? The feeding advice will hold for any breed but that growth you listed is pretty ambitious for a standard poodle :).

She's at 6m height by 12 weeks? Wowza!

HEIGHT CHART FOR STANDARD POODLES (GUIDELINE)

AGE IN MONTHS

HEIGHT IN INCHES

8 WEEKS

12 - 13 INCHES

3 MONTHS

14 INCHES

4 MONTHS

18-19 INCHES

6 MONTHS

21+ INCHES

FULL GROWN (USUALLY 24 MONTHS)

24-27 INCHES

Standard poodles can take up to 2 years to finish growing and filling out.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Yes! Large puppy kibble. My concern is some guidelines feed based on projected weight. I'm unsure how much her parents weigh but the mom is about 3' and the dad around 50” (head not withers)... Which isn't helpful, I know haha.
Yeah, the height of their heads isn’t very helpful. Can you ask the breeder for their weight? You can also use this calculator, which was quite accurate for Peggy:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

This was an accurate calculator for my pup. Standard poodles can have a huge range - I recently learned my poodles siblings range from about 40- 90 lbs!

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts

This was an accurate calculator for my pup. Standard poodles can have a huge range - I recently learned my poodles siblings range from about 40- 90 lbs!
Ohmigosh. How much do her dam and sire weigh??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just confirming that your pup is a standard poodle? The feeding advice will hold for any breed but that growth you listed is pretty ambitious for a standard poodle :).

She's at 6m height by 12 weeks? Wowza!

HEIGHT CHART FOR STANDARD POODLES (GUIDELINE)

AGE IN MONTHS

HEIGHT IN INCHES

8 WEEKS

12 - 13 INCHES

3 MONTHS

14 INCHES

4 MONTHS

18-19 INCHES

6 MONTHS

21+ INCHES

FULL GROWN (USUALLY 24 MONTHS)

24-27 INCHES

Standard poodles can take up to 2 years to finish growing and filling out.
We thought so, too. She's much larger than our other spoo at this age ( but he was small at first 12" at 3 months but ended up at 27-28"). Due to our shock at her size we had tested her DNA and she's 100% poodle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the height of their heads isn’t very helpful. Can you ask the breeder for their weight? You can also use this calculator, which was quite accurate for Peggy:

I appreciate the calculator! We actually used it to project the size of our first boy, but he grew almost double the projected weight (40lbs projected > 75 actual lbs). That said, his case is more of an anecdote since it seems to have worked for Peggy. I'll be sure to use it and chart her growth as well. Thanks so much

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks so much! Wow! That's good diversity for siblings

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. I found them very insightful! I have the parents info now and lots of resources to consult. :)

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,777 Posts
2 lbs/week is a healthy growth rate for a poodle puppy. IIRC Mia's max growth rate was just over 2 lbs/week, and her rate slowed toward the 5 and 6 month marks.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Ohmigosh. How much do her dam and sire weigh??
Not sure... Her mom is shorter than Annie who is 25". Both mom and dad were Ckc champions so doubt the sire was huge, but Annie's litter had an 80 lb poodle and a 40 lb poodle. Annie's mom's second litter had the 90 lb poodle - the sire was an FCI champion so can't have had been that big! Annie's breeder also mentioned she breeds for less dainty poodles/larger boned.

So yes- crazy diversity in her siblings!

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Not sure... Her mom is shorter than Annie who is 25". Both mom and dad were Ckc champions so doubt the sire was huge, but Annie's litter had an 80 lb poodle and a 40 lb poodle. Annie's mom's second litter had the 90 lb poodle - the sire was an FCI champion so can't have had been that big! Annie's breeder also mentioned she breeds for less dainty poodles/larger boned.

So yes- crazy diversity in her siblings!
Wow. This reinforces my belief that if you’re considering a spoo, but have an absolute max size limit in mind, you should probably go down to a mini to be safe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts