Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've discovered that my Standard Poodle is a lap dog!?!

I've been teaching to "hug" by putting his chest in my lap and lean up against my torso. It's working towards being able to apply deep pressure for my son to help with his anxiety.

Well today he decided that wasn't good enough and worked his back legs up on top of me as well. So I had a nearly 60 lbs dog laying on my lap and legs for at least an hour. He seemed so happy and calm. Silly boy. Sure do love the big galoot!

·
Registered
182 Posts
My husband has made my last two standards, lap dogs, I think it's a man thing, as well as a poodle thing.

Roland likes to cuddle up to me when I'm laying on the couch, stretching along side me and laying his head on my chest, but I don't allow him on my lap. mainly because he's too big for my chubby, little old lady lap. But my husband sits in his lounge chair and loves wearing a poodle blanket and Roland loves being that blanket.

I keep saying I'm going to get a mini or toy poodle so I can have a proper lap dog, both my boys are too big for the job, but I somehow think that Roland wouldn't be happy if he wasn't the baby of the family.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts

Well...not completely worthless. You verbally painted a pretty decent picture. What a funny dog. No wonder you love him so. But really...pictures of this would be a bonus. :act-up:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Eh, my Toy isn't a lap dog...

I haven't had a Spoo, so can't relate there, but recall many years ago as a shelter volunteer, Dobermans were the lap dogs above all :). So a Spoo doesn't seem unreasonable.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
My two spoos think they are lap dogs too!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts

I haven't had a Spoo, so can't relate there, but recall many years ago as a shelter volunteer, Dobermans were the lap dogs above all :). So a Spoo doesn't seem unreasonable.
Heaven help me all 3 of my toys are lap dogs. My Aunt comes for a couple of months each year. When she leaves for a week they go crazy looking for her, as she hold them 24/7
3 dogs  2 10  17.jpg

·
Registered
10,294 Posts

Yes, I can attest to that. Dobermans are sooooooo into their owners. Of course, strong lap-dog characteristics begin at a very early age with Dobermans.:act-up:

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
320 Posts
I trained Sage as a puppy to put his paws up on my shoulders then I say “1,2,3!” And he jumps his back legs up so I can pick him up and hold him like a baby. He’s only 45 lbs though;) I thought it would be good if I ever had to carry him out of a hike or something he would be used to being held, but it sure is a great party trick.
The kids love it and sometimes when we’re volunteering Ill do it so a resident in a high up bed can reach over and pet him. He seems to like it:)
Ha ha! Looks ridiculous, for sure. I found a picture...

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Merry is turning into a lap dog as well. Although it's usually only her upper body across my lap or leaning into me while sitting next to me I love it

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Merry is turning into a lap dog as well. Although it's usually only her upper body across my lap or leaning into me while sitting next to me I love it

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I can't see your picture.:crying: She sounds so cute.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've discovered that my Standard Poodle is a lap dog!?!

I've been teaching to "hug" by putting his chest in my lap and lean up against my torso. It's working towards being able to apply deep pressure for my son to help with his anxiety.

Well today he decided that wasn't good enough and worked his back legs up on top of me as well. So I had a nearly 60 lbs dog laying on my lap and legs for at least an hour. He seemed so happy and calm. Silly boy. Sure do love the big galoot!
These dogs are silly. My Standard is nearly 80 pounds and loves big hugs, will climb in my lap if I am foolish enough to give him an opening. Really enjoying my dog too.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
I trained Sage as a puppy to put his paws up on my shoulders then I say “1,2,3!” And he jumps his back legs up so I can pick him up and hold him like a baby. He’s only 45 lbs though;) I thought it would be good if I ever had to carry him out of a hike or something he would be used to being held, but it sure is a great party trick.

The kids love it and sometimes when we’re volunteering Ill do it so a resident in a high up bed can reach over and pet him. He seems to like it:)

Ha ha! Looks ridiculous, for sure. I found a picture...
What an awesome picture!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts