Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, Lacey and I passed our evaluation. They said we were the best team of the day :D We got a complex rating which means in time we will be able to volunteer in settings where the activity can be very random, such as an autistic class room.
Just a little more paper work and we will get our badges from Delta Society. We are going to work with a wonderful group here, Therapy Animals of Utah.
I will start with shadow visits in about 10 days.
Lacey seemed to enjoy it very much. I am sooooooo excited!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Congratulations!! :D That is so exciting! :) Go Lacey, I'm glad you guys are able to do such a wonderful thing together!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Congratulations!!!! I am hoping to have Hoolie certified as a therapy dog... I used to work with Alzheimers patients and we have a day program here as well as a nursing home that loves company :) O course he has a long way to go.. we start obedience classes tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That is just fantastic :first: !!!!

I have nothing but the highest admiration for people who devote their time for such a noble cause :rose:

I hope that both of you will get your certificates fast and soon and be able to bring all that love to people who crave it so much and are actually isolated from the society due to their illness : ((.

My younger daughter is volunteering in a horse camp with special program for kids who are dealing with all kind of mental or physical issues and it is amazing to see what a change just one hour of "animal therapy" can do for a handicapped child !!!!

Bless you and your dogs for doing it :angel:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Wonderful job!!! It is such a wonderful feeling to pass those tests, and then to spread the joy your dog gives!
Riley is a therapy dog, but we wanted to registure with a different program this year i have friends in. Unfortunatly that was before his leg issue.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Congrats !!!
Did they discuss any of the issues that the Delta Society has regarding Raw Dogs ? Is it true that you can't even feed them raw bones ? The article I read in WDJ didn't have the info yet, as the rule was fairly new. So since you just passed I figured you may have more current information.
Foxxy has her TDI certification :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Congratulations! Fozzie is just starting training himself through the San Francisco SPCA's "Animal Assisted Therapy" program!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Congratulations to you and Lacey! This is such a wonderful thing to do, and it takes a remarkable dog to get certified! You must be very proud.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Congrats! That is wonderful! When I first got sick and was in the hospital so much, the therapy dog visits were the highlight of my stay there for me and my mom. We are both dog lovers and not having our pups was so hard especially since we didn't know what was wrong with me. Getting to cuddle and play with a dog gave us a break from reality.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Oooooh, I've been checking all afternoon for this post! OK, I'm going to embarrass them just a little. ;)They were truly amazing during their exam! I don't think Lacey's tail came down once, she was so confident and cheerful, and apoodleaday was a fabulous handler. She supported her through the whole thing...talked with her, and helped her have that confidence she needed. It's so fun to see such a strong bond between the two of them...Lacey would encounter someone a little strange, ie: a person with a walker moaning, she'd look up to her mom, and she'd smile at her and tell her it was ok to go see him, and Lacey would sidle right up there for pets and loves with a big smile on her face, knowing her mom wouldn't have her do it if she wasn't safe. It seriously gave me permagrin, especially since we had 4 not ready teams right before them! They're going to make such a difference in the lives of so many people. :) A big huge congrats to them both!!!!

Also, Snorpuddel, here's a link straight from the source about Delta's feeding raw policy.
Delta Society - Raw Protein Diet Policy

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you so much for all the congratulations and kind words! We are very excited to start visiting. Flfflvr, you totally embarrassed me but I had a huge grin on my face the whole time, Thanks!!
Good Luck and Best Wishes to all who are working on their therapy dog certification. I hope you find it rewarding :)
Those who are already certified, please feel free to share any useful information or fun stories you have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts