Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
Hooooooray!! And how wonderful that she didn't have to stay overnight! I'm so relieved for you and happy for little Lacey. I hope she enjoys being spoiled as she recovers.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
So glad to hear she did well! It is nerve wracking. She looks so sweet resting in her bed!

Reactions: Porkchop

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Happy to hear she's home now. Sending good thoughts for a quick and uneventful recovery!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you!

Last night she hadn’t drank or ate anything on her own by bedtime. I gave her water from a small syringe, and after that she went and ate the small dinner I’d put out. I moved her water bowl to the door of her crate but raised it up and she drank it on her own, even with the inflatable donut collar.
I think I’ll use the donut collar during the day since it doesn’t affect her peripheral vision and she can drink on her own, and get through the crate door. The cute flower collar will be for nighttime sleeping since it’s flat and doesn’t jack her neck up in a strange angle while lying down.
My vets don’t use e collars or cones after the procedure. When I asked them about it they said “most dogs don’t go after their incision, but if it’s a problem then use a t shirt or contact us.” It’s a dog’s natural tendency to lick their wounds, and they definitely won’t be able to stop themself from messing with it once it starts to itch. That seems unusual to me they’d even want to chance it. Anyone else ever seen vets not use anything after spay/neuter?

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I’m glad it went well ! You can relax now... :)

What’s the name of the soft collar you got her (and what size) ? I’d like one for my dogs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

The brand of the collar is called alfie pet. They have a lot of styles and sizes to choose from. I got mine off of amazon. Specifically the Noah Recovery Collar in size small. According to the measurement chart it’s for neck sizes 7.75″-9.5” Lacey’s neck is about 8.5”.
I measured the length of the cone myself. The longer areas of the petal are 5.5” long and the shorter areas of the petal are 5” long. The part where the Velcro attaches together is a bit longer nearing 5.75”
I’ll include the link from amazon if you want to check out the reviews and info.
Only thing I don’t like is that the tag on it says “wash separately. Professional dry clean recommended.” Yeah, right!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L0UTPJU/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Poppy was fine in just the onesie, even with two incisions, but she was never out of my sight. I think I might have wanted the extra security of a protective collar if I had needed to leave her.

Good to hear your little one is recovering - once she has eaten, drunk, AND peed and pooed you can really begin to relax!

·
Registered
823 Posts
So glad it went well!!!

My vet bandages instead of a collar.... which posed it's own challenge in removing the adhesive from poodle fur. She definitely needed something after the bandage came kff, and a collar didnt work, as she would scratch it with her rear leg. I used a tshirt which worked well.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
She's doing good today! She ate her breakfast and is drinking water on her own, peeing normally.

She’s spent a lot of time in her crate sleeping and relaxing but when she comes to me for attention I lavish her with as much as she wants! I’m only allowing her to sit on the couch or chair as long as she’s immediately next to me so I can see the signs she wants to get down but can’t jump off.

I can tell she's still sleepy from the drugs but earlier we went on a short distance sniffing walk where I just followed her pace and stopped for long periods of time whenever she wanted to sniff. She’s getting the sparkle back today.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I remember your post about having trouble removing the adhesive from the bandage now that you mention it! I can’t imagine a vet sending a dog home with nothing after the surgery.
I’ve worried that she might scratch the incision with her rear leg but so far she hasn’t felt the need to. Good to know that a t shirt would actually help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I found a round balloon type collar that enabled her to lay on it comfortably and didn't seem to bother her too much. (Benzmate e collar on Amazon is the type).Mine was a jumper so you have to watch for that if yours is. But she did fine. We had a sheltie that we took turns carrying for two weeks after heart worm treatment, not allowed to move much. She didn't mind! Your baby should be fine.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That sounds very similar to the blow up donut collar I have for Lacey. So far she’s tolerating both the flower one and the blow up one fine. It just is so thick I can’t imagine having it on all night! Here’s a pic:

Thankfully, and surprisingly, she’s not a jumper. Just a stand-on-the-hind-legs-like-a-human kind of dog. Even though she has the ability, she doesn’t jump up on the couch for some reason, only will jump off.
She’s getting carried up and down the 9 step stairway to be taken out to the bathroom and I’m sure she’s loving it.

She’s doing well and puts herself in her crate to rest most of the day. So far, so good!

P.S. I love shelties. My dad had one.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Another update on Lacey-
Doing well. She’s post op day 6
I gave her meloxicam daily for 5 days as ordered. She never seemed to be in any pain.
Her energy level was about 80% by post op day 3 and is 100% today.
She’s done really well of resting herself in her crate, but today she was doing zoomies two different times. The best thing I could do was ignore her, or else she’d get more riled up and excited for the chase.
Here she is today, looks pretty comfy to me.
Would you guys like me to make a post that shows her incision day by day? The pics haven’t always been taken in the same light but I think they do a good job showing the healing process.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Tomorrow will be day 14 and Lacey will be done with her cone (sweet freedom). I used a recovery suit for days 7-11 and she tolerated it just fine.
Then yesterday she started biting at the crotch area and stretching it out! She had enough of it. So I put her back in the cone.
But she did look SO cute in the recovery suit. They look like little jammies and cover the abdomen. But she could still pee and poop with it on. Here’s a pic:
(I’ll make a separate thread for her incision healing progress. I wanted to wait until it had been 14 days to post it)

21 - 40 of 45 Posts