Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey poodle fam.

I just wanted to check in and air out my thoughts. I’m feeling a little emotional. I’ll be fine once it’s over.

Lacey is being spayed tomorrow (3 days before her 1st birthday).

I’m sad at the thought of removing healthy organs that serve a function to her body, even if they aren’t going to be used for reproduction. I’ve done research regarding timing/risks/pros/cons, and I’m confident about my decision. My heart is just hurting since the day is finally almost here.

It’s a common major surgery, but I can’t help but feel nervous for my honey girl (her most common nickname).

I feel a little better I somewhat know what to expect, since Lacey was put under to remove teeth and it was during the COVID-19 restrictions. I’m hoping the vet tech that works for my breeder is working and can be the one to take care of her.

I wish I knew what to do to help make it a little better for Lacey. Maybe I could send her with a t shirt that smells like me to keep in the crate at the vet. Doubtful because of infection control issues, but I’ll ask them just in case. If anyone has any ideas, send em my way.

thanks for letting me vent. I’ll send a quick update once she’s home tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
I totally understand your trepidation. I cried when I dropped Gracie off for hers.

Will be thinking of you and your little honey girl!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I totally understand your anxiety. Spay is a big surgery even if it is routine. I think it's a good choice to spay at this age. You're choosing what's best for her given her lifestyle. Take her on a nice walk beforehand. Exercise eases anxiety and is always helpful before any stressful experience.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Much love to you and Lacey. I also had complicated feelings going into Mia's spay. Even when you know on balance it's the right decision, it's still scary and sad and such a relief when she's recovered.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I would do what Raindrops and Dechi said, take a very nice walk and give her a blanket. Hugs to you both💗 and please keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Lots of good thoughts coming y'alls way. I'm really nervous and anxious when I needed to do a neutor. Though much easier surgery. Take it as easily as you can and try not to show apprehension - Lacey needs you to feel all is right in the world, even if you insides are tumbling.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Annie was spayed a few months ago, during COVID, in a place she had never been before. I was so, so nervous too, but it went fine, she was dopey and happy to see me when she came out, and wanted attention from everyone, and pulled to get back to the vet tech to say goodbye lol. But I didnt sleep the night before worrying!!!

Best wishes to Lacey, I am sure it will go fine- and am sure you will keep worrying until it is over with.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
It's nerve wracking for sure, sending our little ones off to something they really can't comprehend. I suppose that's the good news, too. They don't know. You'll all get thru this, I'm sure. It's a bit late but she'd look adorable in this soft e-collar.

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
I know exactly how you are feeling - Poppy was spayed at the same time as having a mammary lump removed (benign, thank heavens), so it was a big op with two incisions. I was on tenterhooks till she was safely home...

I used baby grow vests to cover the incisions very successfully. I cut and hemmed a slit for her tail and one for her vulva so she could pee and poo without having to remove it, and they worked very well. Much cheaper than the ones sold specially for dogs, a better fit, and the sewing gave me something to do while she was at the vets!

Reactions: Porkchop and Liz

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Always nerve wracking. When I had Renn neutered I was quite the basket case when Renn was neutered. I've had many dogs but never was I so nervous. Good luck and I hope she recovers quickly.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First thing when I woke up this morning I read all your replies. It made me feel better having your support. Thank you for sharing your feelings, ideas, and well wishes.

I put on a brave face for her this morning. We took a walk, played with the flirt pole, and then I sat and scratched her favorite spots before we left.

The vets did allow me to send my t shirt in with her, yay! I decided against sending the bed because of the covid stuff (and it’s bulky). I’ve never washed it since it’s new and want to hold off in case it ruins the bed. I got it with her recovery in mind though.

I just got back from dropping her off at the vet. I pulled away to an empty area because I started crying 2 seconds after I drove away. I let it out, but there wasn’t as much as I thought there’d be and I felt better. I didn’t go home right away and instead kept myself busy messing with my car’s audio settings in an empty park for way too long.

I got two different soft e collars a month ahead of her surgery to test out and do training sessions with. One was a blow up donut style and the other was a flower from the same brand as posted above. I got it for her comfort, but also to make me feel happier. I’ll Include a pic of a test run below.
I like the idea of using the baby onesie in the beginning of recovery. Once she gets to the itchy healing stage I worry her determined self will pick at the wound through the fabric nonstop. If it was able to deter her that would be much more comfortable than an e collar.

Oh, I just got a call that the surgery is done! They said she did well, yayayayayayay! I have to wait another 2.5 hours until she can be picked up though.

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
Oh the relief of the All's Well phone call! Soon be time to bring her home and snuggle her, and in a day or two you will probably be asking for ideas on how to stop her leaping around for another week...

Reactions: Porkchop

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hope it goes well! Just remember that you are not alone. Lots of dog owners have had to make this decision. And once it is done, you won´t have to worry anymore!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts