Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've decided to Breed my 8 mo Brown Standard to a Choclate Lab stud...KIDDING!!!! Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Anyway, but seriously, a friend of a friend just got a labradoodle and of course thinks it's grand & will soon be it's own breed. So my friend, who is :rolffleyes: about the whole thing also, and I was discussing the whole doodle craze and I was wondering are people breeding these first-generation everytime? Or are they starting to breed labradoodle to labradoodle? If so, is there a different term or 'feeling' about those who are breed poodle to lab vs. doodle to doodle? I thought maybe some of the experts here would be able to answer my questions better than Dr. Google sending me to a bunch of doodle-loving sites. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Lol, we would SHUN YOU! (I doubt it, because you wouldn't do that!)

I still don't see the craze.. y'know, I dreamed about doodles last night =/ (I seriously did..) with me asking the people what they liked about the breed, then telling them everything the liked was from the poodle and the high strung, crazy psycho behavior was from the lab.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
So I've decided to Breed my 8 mo Brown Standard to a Choclate Lab stud.....

KIDDING!!!! Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Anyway, but seriously, a friend of a friend just got a labradoodle and of course thinks it's grand & will soon be it's own breed. So my friend, who is :rolffleyes: about the whole thing also, and I was discussing the whole doodle craze and I was wondering are people breeding these first-generation everytime? Or are they starting to breed labradoodle to labradoodle? If so, is there a different term or 'feeling' about those who are breed poodle to lab vs. doodle to doodle? I thought maybe some of the experts here would be able to answer my questions better than Dr. Google sending me to a bunch of doodle-loving sites. Thank you.
OMG!!!! Please dont frighten me like that!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG!!!! Please dont frighten me like that!!
LOL, sorry. I felt funny putting something in here with this title and thought that is what people would immediately think I was going to do so then, of course, me being me I had to go with it. :bird: *snicker* I hearby swear on my poodleforum.com membership never to breed my beautiful poodle to anything, let alone retriever! Speaking of, she's limited registration anyway so we bought her knowing we are not 'supposed' to breed and that any offspring would not be registerable. But to go a step further, the contract states if they find out we're breeding to retrievers they have a right to take her back! I thought that was pretty cool. It's like, if you breed to a poodle we're pissed and you can't sell them as AKC, but you make some doodles and say good bye to your baby!

Okay, so ignoring my poor taste in humor, does anyone know the answer to my question? I'll edit my OP to take out the gap so I don't scare anyone else... ;)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, we would SHUN YOU! (I doubt it, because you wouldn't do that!)

I still don't see the craze.. y'know, I dreamed about doodles last night =/ (I seriously did..) with me asking the people what they liked about the breed, then telling them everything the liked was from the poodle and the high strung, crazy psycho behavior was from the lab.
LOL. Well since my childhood "best friend" was a crazy high strung lab I should be offended, right? I was telling my friend how I just don't get it. I really don't. She said some people just don't like the idea of poodles. So my response is "Then get a lab!" Then she (though, again, NOT a doodle-lover) brought up the allergy aspect. You can't KNOW it's going to be a hypo-allergenic cross-breed anymore than you know what color eyes and hair your child will have. How is this not obvious to the allergy-suffering doodle-buyers?

Okay, but this wasn't supposed to be another thread on how the Poodle Lovers don't "get" the Doodle-lovers...I was just curious on what people are doing with them.

·
Registered
235 Posts
There are several breeders who breed doodle to doodle and charge much more for these doodle dogs. I must admit that the second, third etc generation doodles are much more attractive and consistant in behavior, coat, and looks than the 1st generation muts. I still say that Id rather have the true breed though, why take the chance that some lab will get in there. People just seem to think that a true poodle is sissy and want to man them up (in my opinion) but we all know that a spoo can do anything a lab can plus 10x more.

My boss has a 2nd gen goldendoodle who is very similar to a pure spoo because the mom was a goldendoodle but they bred it back to a pure spoo stud to maintain the non sheding factor. He paid $2000 for the dog. I just adopted Mercury for free and my boss is so jealous. My boy is a prince while his has been to the vet several times because he eats EVERYTHING (rocks, the couch, everything). He loves his doodle but says the next pup he gets will be a spoo.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There are all types of Doodle Breeders out there. Some claim that the first gens are healthier and that's all they breed. Some breed first gens back to poodles because they know that there is a better chance of no shedding. And then there are those who breed doodles to doodles claiming that produces consistency.

The vast majority really know nothing about genetics and scientific breeding.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There are a few different ways breeders are producing American Labradoodles.

F1 = 50% Labrador and 50% Poodle - This is Lab to poodle cross, this is first generation, resulting in healthier offspring! Hair type can be smooth like a Lab, wirey look like a Irish wolfhound or Wavy/shaggy, they can shed or not shed, pups in the same litter can vary. This is not the best cross for people with severe allergies.

F1-B = 25% Labrador Retriever and 75% Poodle (F1 Labradoodle and Poodle cross) - This is Labradoodle bred back to Poodle, Wavy Curly shaggy look doodle very consistent in coat types. F1B is the MOST likely of any to be non shedding and Allergy friendly then ANY doodles and is the easiest coat to take care of.

F2 = F1 Labradoodle and F1 Labradoodle cross - this combination you get the same percentage of Lab Poodle mix as you would an F1 Labradoodle so they are more likely to shed.

F3 = F2 Labradoodle and F2 Labradoodle cross

Multi-generation = F3 or higher generation Labradoodle and F3 or higher generation Labradoodle cross - This is what the Australian Labradoodles usually are.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Multi-generation = F3 or higher generation Labradoodle and F3 or higher generation Labradoodle cross - This is what the Australian Labradoodles usually are
I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that the Australian Labradoodles have a third breed in their "mix" to make it more "stable" and that they had been breeding them for over 35 years or something like that?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
LOL. Well since my childhood "best friend" was a crazy high strung lab I should be offended, right?
Oh I'm not trying to offend, I'm know they're great family dogs! It's just I, as a groomer, don't like being dragged all over the place by something a lot stronger than me because something looks more fun than getting nails done! :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I'm not trying to offend, I'm know they're great family dogs! It's just I, as a groomer, don't like being dragged all over the place by something a lot stronger than me because something looks more fun than getting nails done! :)
LOL! I was kidding, your description was dead on. Since I was the child in the 'relationship' I had it pretty easy. My mom, OTOH, had to deal with her antics. Like the year she refused to enter the backyard from the living room to eat dinner so instead had to be taken through the garage to the backyard to eat her dinner. Or how every year she had to be drugged for the 4th of July and New Year's else she spend the entire holiday pacing the house trying to find someplace 'safe. '

She was a great buddy, though. Let me dress her up and paint her nails, too. :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Oh okay! Hehe! I didn't realize. ^^ My bad!

Poor doggies afraid of fireworks and thunder. :c My dog could care less, however, if she hears a door bell ring or knocking on a door from the TV..

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yes, thunder too!

Bella came home to us just before the 4th of July and I was really paranoid about it. Asked the breeder for all sorts of tips to keep her calm. She tried to tell me it would probably be okay and it was. Bella didn't bat an eyelash (kept her inside, though). She also seems impervious to doorbells and doorknocks. Hopefully burglars won't ring the bell first. LOL.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think lab and goldendoodles can be very pretty, especially when groomed nicely to accent their features.

I would definitely adopt one or aquire one from a rehome situation but spending $1200 on one, no thanks!

I almost ended up with a goldendoodle instead of Vega from a rehome situation..so many people get this hyper breed and then can't handle them. Luckily the dog ended up going to live with another family member so they can still visit.

Was a beautiful dog though..and very good for grooming..just really hyper!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that the Australian Labradoodles have a third breed in their "mix" to make it more "stable" and that they had been breeding them for over 35 years or something like that?
I believe Cocker Spaniel was incorporated into the "Austalian Labradoodle."

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think lab and goldendoodles can be very pretty, especially when groomed nicely to accent their features.

I would definitely adopt one or aquire one from a rehome situation but spending $1200 on one, no thanks!

I almost ended up with a goldendoodle instead of Vega from a rehome situation..so many people get this hyper breed and then can't handle them. Luckily the dog ended up going to live with another family member so they can still visit.

Was a beautiful dog though..and very good for grooming..just really hyper!
We have a doodle breeder in this area - the Mom is Black Silver Standard and the Dad is a Goldendoodle.... Thats how its listed. Very nice website. They are $800.00. I cannot believe people pay this or more and they are not even an even mix of the 2 breeds. I agree they are cute but...........no.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Ahem...I owned two cocker spaniels in another life. LOL They both were hyper and very difficult to house train!! That would not be my first choice to mix into a breed!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts