Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

My name is Kris L. Christine. I live in Maine and am the Founder and Co-Trustee with Dr. W. Jean Dodds of THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND (Duration of Immunity Study for Rabies Vaccine - Rabies Challenge Fund). My precious canine companion, Meadow, developed a malignant mast cell tumor directly on the site of his rabies shot at the age of 6 (syringe hole still visible in the tumor) and died in July 2007 after repeated surgeries failed to yield clean margins and the cancer metasticized throughout his body.

It is my goal to make available to all dog owners the scientific data on the known durations of immunity for canine vaccines and the adverse reactions associated with them so that they can make informed vaccine decisions for their beloved companions. In 2004 I launched a successful effort to change Maine's rabies immunization regulations for dogs from 2 to 3 years and insert a medical exemption clause; later that year Representative Peter Rines introduced the nation's first pet vaccine disclosure legislation on my behalf. Working with local pet owners in my capacity as Founder of the RCF, we've had successful efforts to change state/municipal rabies laws to the 3 year national standard in Cheyenne, Wyoming; Wichita, Kanasas; and the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Maine, Rhode Island, and West Virginia. Currently I am helping to get medical exemption legislation passed in the 37 states which do not have them.

The Rabies Challenge Fund has a page on Facebook The Rabies Challenge Fund | Facebook where regular updates on rabies vaccine legislation is posted and information on canine vaccines is published under the "Discussions" section for anyone who is interested.

Below are links to excellent information on veterinary vaccines from authoritative sources:

Duration of Immunity to Canine Vaccines: What We Know and Don't Know, Dr. Ronald Schultz Duration of Immunity

What Everyone Needs to Know about Canine Vaccines, Dr. Ronald Schultz
What Everyone Needs to Know About Canine Vaccines

Age and Long-term Protective Immunity in Dogs and Cats, Dr. Ronald Schultz et als., Journal of Comparative Pathology January 2010 ScienceDirect - Journal of Comparative Pathology : Age and Long-term Protective Immunity in Dogs and Cats

Genetically Engineered and Modified Live Virus Vaccines;Public Health and Animal Welfare Concerns by Michael W. Fox BVetMed,PhD,DSc.MRCVS
Genetically Engineered & Modified Live Virus Vaccines: Public Health And Animal Welfare Concerns

Vaccination: An Overview Dr. Melissa Kennedy, DVM360 Vaccination: An overview (Proceedings) - Veterinary Healthcare

World Small Animal Veterinary Association 2007 Vaccine Guidelines - WSAVA - Scientific Advisory Committee Scroll down to Vaccine Guidelines 2007 (PDF)

The 2003 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are accessible online at Special Report .

The 2006 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are downloadable in PDF format at
http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/VaccineGuidelines06Revised.pdf

Veterinarian, Dr. Robert Rogers,has an excellent presentation on veterinary vaccines at Home

October 1, 2002 DVM Newsletter article entitled, AVMA, AAHA to Release Vaccine Positions, AVMA, AAHA to release vaccine positions - DVM

July 1, 2003 DVM Newsletter article entitled, What Do We Tell Our Clients?, Developing thorough plan to educate staff on changing vaccine protocols essential for maintaining solid relationships with clients and ensuring quality care 'What do we tell our clients?' - DVM

July 1, 2003, DVM Newsletter article, Developing Common Sense Strategies for Fiscal Responsibility: Using an interactive template to plan service protocol changes Developing common sense strategies for fiscal responsibility - DVM

Animal Wellness Magazine Article Vol. 8 Issue 6, How Often Does he REALLY Need A Rabies Shot Animal Wellness Magazine - devoted to natural health in animals

The Rabies Challenge Animal Wise Radio Interview
Listen to Animal Wise (scroll down to The Rabies Challenge 12/9/07)

The Vaccine Challenge Animal Talk Naturally Online Radio Show » The Vaccine Challenge - Show #91

Rabies Prevention -- United States, 1991 Recommendations of the Immunization Practices Advisory Committee (ACIP), Center for Disease Control's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly March 22, 1991 / 40(RR03);1-19 Rabies Prevention -- United States, 1991 Recommendations of the Immunization Practices Advisory Committee (ACIP) "A fully vaccinated dog or cat is unlikely to become infected with rabies, although rare cases have been reported (48). In a nationwide study of rabies among dogs and cats in 1988, only one dog and two cats that were vaccinated contracted rabies (49). All three of these animals had received only single doses of vaccine; no documented vaccine failures occurred among dogs or cats that had received two vaccinations. "

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome Kris, and thank you SOOOOOOOO much for your tireless work on behalf of our dogs. I am so glad you have joined the Poodleforum and will keep us updated as you have been so kind to do on the Crested forum.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Welocome Kris...
Such great information. My breeder has a strict vaccine protocol, that I followed, allowing weeks between vaccines when Baldr was a pup. I saw a lot of my vet, luckily even tho the state of NH requires rabies at 4 months he did not pressure me in any way to get the shot. I waited until after Baldr was 6 months. I am so happy my breeder outlined this for me, especually after reading more about over vaccination.
I am on the fence about the Lyme vaccine, Foxxy tested positive for the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi, even when she had the vaccine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts