Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok hopefully i can get this written in the 10 mins i have left before i have to leave for work lol.

I was thinking about getting Belle a kong to maybe help with her destructive boredom.

If I'm away and nobody keeps an eye on her she literally gets into ANYTHING she can to raise hell and let me know she is bored!

So I've tried puppy proofing and she still finds some way to irritate me I swear, I got a dog too smart for my own good!!!

So lately I've just been giving her a new bone out of the little bones I have left over from my last shopping spree, but if I do this it'll just cost me more money that I just don't have.

I've come to the conclusion she needs a kong. But I don't want to blow the 20 bucks they cost on a toy that won't at least SOMEWHAT help my issue. I know it won't COMPLETELY cure the disaster but at least sugar coat it!

What I was wondering though is I know the only way to keep belle's attention on it is to put treats or peanut butter in it. But now this brings me to another worry, how much of a mess will I come home to if I do this? I mean wouldn't peanut butter smear all over? or treat crumbs left all over?

Also if you know of any other toys that could help keep this puppy's mind off destroying toilet paper or children's toys or anything she hunts down, please PLEASE let me know.

So far she has bones, stuffed squeak toys, and hard plastic toys. You'd think that'd be enough right? Ha..apparently not.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Kongs are great! Well worth the money, and they last a long time (Rileys is 7yo). Depends on what you put in there as for how much mess you will have. Peanut butter is actually pretty low mess. Since it sticks to the sides of the kong, it wont "fall out" everywhere.

I have put plenty of things in Rys kong. PB, yoghurt (never know how to spell that :)), canned food, cheese, hotdog pieces, kibble, etc. People get really creatative with stuffing them! I freeze them alot too for more lasting enjoyment. If you have something more messy you can plug the small hole with PB, put upside down in a mug and let freeze. I also know people who plug the small end with PB, put their dogs food in there (amount you would normally feed) and put some water in. Then freeze upside down in a mug. Give it for breakfast to really give her something to do! Just watch for diarrhea if she has a sensitive stomach with what you put in there.

·
Registered
861 Posts
We've taken to freezing plain yogurt with kibble in the kong. If I'm in a hurry and one is not ready I may stuff it with some kibble and probiotic (gel-like) and an ice cube at the end.

We have the small and the medium so if she's getting the medium I tend to make her prior meal smaller.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts