Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people think dogs should never kiss you on the face. Its too germy, or "Your'e gonna get worms". I give mine kisses....lots of them. They kiss me and sometimes one will just be almost asleep and I'll feel it licking my hand over and over, like its cleaning me. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about dog kisses. Has ANYONE ever gotten a real disease from their dogs? I am assuming we all keep our dogs healthy and vet checked.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
LOL!

OK, my thoughts:

1. Some people have more disgusting mouths than my dog and they get kissed, tongues and all. Yuck. I'd rather kiss my dog.

2. When I was a kid, we had a little chi who would catch those giant cockroaches if one wandered in the house. You could see it hanging out of both sides of her mouth. Yuck. And yet, she used to lick me in the mouth (much to the disgust of my parents, I might add), and here I am, 50 years old and I'm still alive and have never had any serious illnesses that were caused by my dog's germs.

3. I know number 2 was disgusting and I apologize for that. It had to be said though.

4. The only time I don't want Teddy licking my face is after he's gone to the litter box buffet for the all you can eat special. Yuck.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I guess I don't mind MY dogs puppy kisses. But only when I ask:) Mine won't kiss unless you say kissess

My Poms are lickers of skin, not on the mouth. I can see where some people think it's gross. :eek:hwell: My BF loves the dogs but he will move his head and the dog away if they try to sneak a kiss, lol!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I kiss my dogs on the snouts all the time. I rub my nose against their nose. I rub my face against their face.
I dont mind one little lick on the cheek or something, but Mitch does this bitey thing, and while it's really gentle, if he gets your lip it hurts and he drowns you in saliva...sooooo yeah..no bitey face.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I am always snuggling my dogs giving them kisses.
They don't kiss me back though. Sometimes Dima and Vaka give me a little kiss but Charly is not the licking type.

I have been with dogs for over 15 years now and well I have never gotten sick from them.

I have had over 10 colon scopes and never seen any worms hehe :p
Maybe they are in my brain :doh:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't mind puppy kisses, if the dog is clean. We used to have our Gentle Giant drooling Great Pyrenees' and a kiss from one of those guys would leave your face drenched in slober. :p
Fly used to do the nibble/bitey thing with her tiny front teeth. It was funny until she pinched the very end of your nose. She doesn't do it so much anymore. She knows biting and nibbling is a no-no.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Winnow, you crack me up. LOL

Teddy really isn't a big licker either. In fact, he's more likely to lick a stranger's mouth than mine. Sometimes it hurts my feelings. ;)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Funny this came up today... This picture just arrived an hour ago, from a buyer of her girl kissing one of the construction workers that came in for a break. She is teaching Lily to wait for it to be welcomed... takes great restraint for her! It helps to have others help with her 'behavior problem'! :)

I allow puppies to kiss my face... but my own dogs go to daddy for that treat!
No sickness around here... and the dogs eat raw too.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I kiss all my dogs, and they kiss me back. Reece likes to kiss my nose. I don't really mind the mouth, but I squeeze my lips together. Not for any germ reasons, I just don't like the feel of it. My husband hates it. I kiss my dogs all the time. I love to bury my face in their coats. There is nothing better to get cozy with than a nice fluffy clean poodle. They smell better and feel better than any other breed. My mom hates it. All my dogs are lovers, she is not a touchy person. I spend this very morning snuggled up with 3 poos in my bed and on my pillow. No diseases here. I did catch a stomach virus from my mom this weekend. Lol!!! Whose got the germs?:)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I share a water bottle with Teddy sometimes. It doesn't bother me to drink after him. I've never asked him if it bothers him to drink after me. LOL

·
Registered
307 Posts
this article is interesting on the subject of the germs:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/dogs/a/dog_breath.htm

to be honest, I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum is pretty much dog-mad, so will actually care for their dog
i.e. will get it vaccinated, and train it (to not bite aggressively)
so.. surely the mouths will not have any zoonotic diseases.

We can get more from a human mouth due to the fact that the bacteria and viruses in a human are suited to another human. whereas a dogs bacteria and viruses may be more suited to a dog - therefor lesschance of infection.

I let Harley kiss my face when I ask.
but too much liking and I walk away. :)

(to teddy above: I do that too! peopel give me awful stares !!!
I also very occasionally share a nice incecream and cone with Harley :D)

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have never minded kisses from the dogs until recently..3 out of 4 dogs are poop eaters..guess when they like to come kiss you..LOL..and guess which one isn't a kisser..LOL..I've had quite a few burps in the face as they are trying to kiss after snacking..LOL..and a few french kisses when I wasn't ready for it..*G*

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Our dogs kiss us and we kiss them. Jenny is not much of a kisser she is a sniffer. Betty Jo on the other hand...well she loves to kiss especially ears. My 7 year old once came up to me and counted all the kisses she had given him and it was over 100. Frankly with all the stomach flu around the house in the past couple weeks the only ones not throwing up were the dogs. (We got the virus from the neighbours). So maybe its the dogs that should be worried not us.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
:love: I love dog kisses!!! :lol:

My little Juliet (mini dachsie) is the biggest licker in the house. Her tongue is very narrow and long and if she catches me by surprise that little snake tongue will go right up my nose (I can almost feel it at my tonsils!!!) :lol: I like to tease my neighbor children that I don't buy Kleenex anymore, I just let Juliet clean my nose!! :scared:

The big dogs don't lick a lot... one little swipe and they're done. I kiss noses, muzzles, topknots, toes, etc... Oh, and we do belly zerbits from time to time!

Reactions: Brenda-A

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I do not find "face licking" appealing by dogs or humans LMAO

and would definitely discourage my dog doing that LOL

Dog's saliva actually has anti-bacterial properties (as well as cat's) - that is why they lick their wounds.

But, they happen to lick "some parts of them " or objects that I do not like to "share" through their saliva LMAO and in general - as I said - I would not let even my child "licking me" LMAO - but it is me, ha ha ....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cooper really isn't a licker,but when he does give me kisses he goes right for my mouth. Greta is a more willing to give kisses when I ask. And I give them kisses on their nose and cheek but I a hugger.....:) Love to give hugs

·
Registered
918 Posts
I kiss my dogs on the head all the time. I have to admit though that a dog licking me grosses me out so it doesn't happen. Actually I could live without them licking themselves too... At least certain parts anyhow lol.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'm with wishpoo I'm afraid, the whole idea of being licked, primarily on the face, by *anything* is a bit weird IMO! lol. Paris thinks otherwise and will lick any smidge of bare skin she can spot from 10 yards away! hahaha
The odd lil tongue-touch is fine, but I stop her at that, I don't like the full on snogging Paris would do if she could get away with it!! Some people let her away with it though, so she gets her licking fix on them. :p

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Beau kisses me occasionally and my daughter constantly -- unless he's just eaten his green tripe! Then you can smell him across the room. Do they make doggy mouthwash?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts