Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what everyone feeds for dry kibble. obviously personal preference and dog preferences come into play...but curious to what the top 5 dry kibbles would be.

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
I feed Farmina and Honest Kitchen. Both are high quality by kibble standards, and Honest Kitchen is human-grade.

Peggy likes Honest Kitchen so much, I can also use it as training treats.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Both of mine are now on Farmina. It's pricey, but I feed them the least expensive Farmina kibble. They add joint supplements to their foods, which I like.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I switched my mini boys to Purina Pro Plan after reading more than a few recommendations from members. It meets the AAFCO nutritional guidelines (this is printed on every bag or label if the food does) and because the food is formulated by a veterinary nutritionist.

I can only say that my one formerly picker eater started dancing for his kibble just like his will-eat-anything brother.

Reactions: Gemstorm

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
V-dog (vegan) and Open Farm (certified humane). I don't trust the meat in most kibbles. My dogs free feed kibble, and get a home-cooked supper.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We feed our toy girls royal canin. I had my other poodle on it and she always did well on it and never any issues. So I’ve stuck with that one after we lost a pet to taste of the wild food. I like that royal canin has a very active customer service. I‘ve never had any issues but I’d feel they’d take any issue very seriously and properly handle it, which is really important to me. TOTW never responded to any of our reach outs so a lawsuit was filed and now they have another new one this year for the same problems. I really just they’d remove it from the market at this point bc it drives me insane to still see it as a highly rated food on most sites.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
My boy eats Victor high performance, and I also add some Merrick beef & sweet potato, ( switch that on n off, just to change flavors. He also gets a few toppers of freeze dried, either instinct or solos. I do think raw is a good option though.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
We feed our toy girls royal canin. I had my other poodle on it and she always did well on it and never any issues. So I’ve stuck with that one after we lost a pet to taste of the wild food. I like that royal canin has a very active customer service. I‘ve never had any issues but I’d feel they’d take any issue very seriously and properly handle it, which is really important to me. TOTW never responded to any of our reach outs so a lawsuit was filed and now they have another new one this year for the same problems. I really just they’d remove it from the market at this point bc it drives me insane to still see it as a highly rated food on most sites.
Curious as to what the issue was with Taste of the Wild? One of my dogs and a family dog ate that food for 8 plus years. I stopped feeding it last year because of the warning about possible heart issues linked to specific ingredients in dog foods.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Normie's vet recommended Royal Canin Poodle Puppy food. She thinks that it is tailored specifically to poodles' needs. I wonder if that's advertising hype. But since he likes it okay, we go with it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I feed Acana (red meat and oatmeal formula). Annie LOVES Farmina but it's out of my budget so we just use it as treats. It's quite smelly and very meat rich. I would probably feed a better quality food but finding a fish free chicken free food has been a challenge.

Personally, I dont trust Royal Canin, after being given two bags of food. One for our overweight old cat, who quickly lost a bunch of hair and developed a very dull coat on it, the other for a dog who became very smelly and also had her coat become duller. They just seemed to be very low quality compared to what the animals were used to eating (Go and Summit, both Petcurean brands). We tried Proplan for that dog as well and she also did poorly on it. Maybe they have improved their formulas in the last 5-7 years though.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Curious as to what the issue was with Taste of the Wild? One of my dogs and a family dog ate that food for 8 plus years. I stopped feeding it last year because of the warning about possible heart issues linked to specific ingredients in dog foods.
They fail to test their food properly, and don't disclose the Heavy metal,toxins and bpa in the foods, both canned and kibble. same exact issues with that lawsuit as well.
  • Jackson et al. v. Schell & Kampeter Inc. d/b/a Diamond Pet Foods et al., filed in February 2019, alleges positive tests for arsenic, lead, pesticides and other toxic materials in Taste of the Wild dog food.
  • Grossman v. Schell & Kampeter Inc. d/b/a Diamond Pet Foods et al., filed in August 2018, alleges undisclosed heavy metals, pesticides, acrylamide and bisphenol A (BPA) in Taste of the Wild dog food.
  • Marciano v. Schell & Kampeter Inc. d/b/a Diamond Pet Foods et al. was filed in May 2012, following a salmonella-related recall involving many Diamond-manufactured pet food brands, which included Taste of the Wild. Not only pets but also dozens of people were sickened during the multi-state salmonella outbreak caused by the contaminated pet food. This class-action lawsuit alleged negligence, unjust enrichment and state law violations, among other claims. It was eventually settled for $2 million, with some consumers getting $10 checks in the mail (others received reimbursement for veterinary bills).

·
Registered
473 Posts
we were associated with the 2012 lawsuit but the settlement was terrible. They reimbursed for the food and one vet bill of their choosing (the lowest priced one of course). They ignored the other vet bills, burial/cremation costs and the original prices of the pets that a lot of us lost. The main thing that's upsetting for me at least is their complete lack of contact, we called and emailed and nothing. we weren't worried of the money, we just really wanted a recall right away so others didn't go through what we did. Never once did they respond even through the lawsuit, it was only their lawyers and no comments from the company, not even a simple apology.

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
When shopping around, I compared the serving size to a cheaper kibble, and Farmina's serving size was smaller. (I assume because it's more nutrient dense.)

So if anyone's considering it but turned by off by the price tag, might be worth doing the math to see how it actually compares.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
we were associated with the 2012 lawsuit but the settlement was terrible. They reimbursed for the food and one vet bill of their choosing (the lowest priced one of course). They ignored the other vet bills, burial/cremation costs and the original prices of the pets that a lot of us lost. The main thing that's upsetting for me at least is their complete lack of contact, we called and emailed and nothing. we weren't worried of the money, we just really wanted a recall right away so others didn't go through what we did. Never once did they respond even through the lawsuit, it was only their lawyers and no comments from the company, not even a simple apology.
Unfortunately with class-action lawsuits, it's not usually the customer that ends up with the money. I think I remember reading about the 2019 lawsuit last summer when I decided to pull my dogs from the food. Lawsuits should be about getting the information out there, but this doesn't always happen unless a person is looking for the information. When I brought my rescue girl to the vet for the first time in 2018 and told the vet I was feeding Taste of the Wild to my girl, the vet told me she felt it was a higher quality food than what they were selling at their practice. There also is a store near where I live that sells higher quality pet food, and they continue to carry Taste of the Wild because there continues to be a customer demand for it in the area.

Our family dog, Gracie, who ate Taste of the Wild all of her life died from lymphoma at 9 in 2018. This was the first time we had a dog in our family that died so young, and it was a shock and very painful. My Jasper was only a year younger, and he ate the same food. Other than genetic structural issues and dental issues, he is (thankfully) healthy based on his most recent bloodwork.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Right now I'm feeding Beau 4Health Strive Performance 87. Its what his breeder feeds, and she told me that puppies do better on high protein kibble. When he's grown I will probably switch him to another food, maybe what my last dog Charlie ate. He did really well on 4Health Original Small Bites, and I had to be really careful about what I fed him because he had pretty bad food allergies. I like the Strive kibble, and so does Beau it is high in fat and he still eats about 1 1/2 cups a day (3 meals). So I don't know, I guess I'll just wait till he's older then decide :confused:.

4health Strive Performance 87 Formula Dog Food, 45 lb. Bag at Tractor Supply Co.

4health Original Small Bites Formula Adult Dog Food, 35 lb. Bag at Tractor Supply Co.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
I feed a variety of kibbles, Health Extension White fish and Buffalo to Pia and Leonard, Royal Canine GI for Beatrice and non poodle Gracie alternares between the RC and Fresh Pet beef.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I currently feed my spoo Canadian Naturals limited ingredient pork and squash. We’re restricted because two of my cats have severe allergies so anything with grain and fish is out. I try to avoid turkey because I find it gives her bad gas and poop that is slightly softer than her usual firm poops.

She also gets a bit of zignatures kangaroo kibble as a treat - she loves that stuff!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts