Poodle Forum banner

What size of kibble do you feed your small poodle?

• All breeds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Small breed

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Depends on the brand

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all mpoo and tpoo owners!

If you feed dry food, do you give the ones for small dogs or the ones for all sizes of dog?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I feed Instinct and Merrick. I choose the small breed more due to the slight variations in formula, than kibble size. I've fed the non-small also in these brands and formulas, and didn't see too much difference in the kibble size. My boys are now 10.5lb and 14!! lb.

·
Premium Member
6,275 Posts
My toys range in weight from 5 to 9 pounds, tiny mouths have a harder time with the bigger kibble, but if the brand is light and crunchy it's easier to chew than dense kibble. Fromm and Merrick are denser than Zignature, I am limited in kibble choices because of major food intolerances my Pia has.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I changed kibble brand regularly, about every time I purchase a new bag. So I usually buy the smaller bag.right now milo is eating Stella and chewy raw coated kibble, it’s just because I got it with a manufacturer coupon. He is also eating Fromm sample packs. He has had wellness core, merrick,ziwipeak and acana. We had to drop merrick since it’s making him tear eyed. I buy small breed, sometimes all life stages, sometimes adult, it all depends on the brand. Hen he was younger <7months he was particular with kibble size, now at 15 months, he is fine. He also eats raw,cooked and canned.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I’m not feeding kibble now because I make her food myself due to food allergies.

When I did feed my minipoo kibble, I noticed it depended on the brand. Density and texture played a role. One prescription kibble from the vet only came in a large size and my minipoo hated eating it. It was very dense and hard. I also tried a kibble from Costco that was a similar size and she had no problem eating that kibble. Mostly I bought kibble for small dogs. I did buy one treat, not kibble, that I thought was a choking hazard because it was so small and was star shaped so it could get caught in her throat.

Reactions: spicandspan

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I feed all brands since I change food with almost every bag..........kibble is just a small part of Molly's diet and a 5lb bag lasts several weeks. She will eat any size kibble but I notice most higher quality foods are not huge anyway, so she has no difficulty eating them!

Reactions: spicandspan
1 - 9 of 9 Posts