Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.......

Casey has terrible teeth and every year he has had to have teeth pulled during his dental cleaning and surgery. He had his most recent cleaning about one week ago. Now Casey only has 7 teeth left. Here is my problem.

Casey has IBD and changing his food is not an option. He eats a combination of canned and kibble....each meal is 1/4 cup kibble an 1/4 cup canned. Now that he only has 7 teeth, I am assuming that he cant eat kibble.

Since his surgery I have been feeding only canned. That is too rich for Casey and starting up stool problems......I really need to reintroduce kibble somehow, once he is healed. I have tried soaking in water, but he hates it. Smashing the kibble with a hammer is too time consuming. So.....

Has anyone used a blender, or grinder to finely chop kibble? If so, does the kibble wreck the appliance? Does it just grind it to dust? Does it work? What kind of appliance do/did you use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you....

Linda and Casey
Minneapolis
Minature Poodle, 10 years old
10 lbs
IBD

·
Registered
647 Posts
soak the kibble til its mushy c:

Reactions: cowpony and Liz

·
Registered
33 Posts
Could you try soaking the kibble in the canned food (adding water if extra moisture is needed)? Or make some chicken stock/broth to soak the kibble in? I've never had to deal with this, but I'm trying to think of some ideas to make the mushy kibble more appealing by using appetizing "juices" instead of boring water.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
I do grind Beckie’s kibble to male treats out of it because that’s all she can eat and it sucks. You could grind it into a powder and mix it with the canned food.

Or, soak it and then mix it with the canned food. He might like it because the canned food will give a different texture to it.

·
Registered
Stella - Standard Poodle
94 Posts
I have blended Stella’s kibble in a blender before. It worked pretty well. I only did it long enough to where most of the kibble was cut in half and some turned to a powdery consistency. The cleanup is a lot of work. As for damaging the appliance, I haven’t done it very much so I can’t say. I would guess that it might do a bit of damage

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
I’ve never ground up kibble with it, but I’m a big fan of this little food processor:

It would make a great dedicated kibble blender. You could drop in a small spoonful of wet food, grind it all up, serve some for breakfast, and then store the rest in the fridge for dinner. It is so compact and doubles as a storage container. Plus: Dishwasher safe!

I sound like an ad. Lol. But I really just love it.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
My older dog no longer has teeth. He actually struggles most with eating canned food, and is most successful with licking up kibble that has water added to it then microwaved. I also add a topper to help keep him interested. He's been swallowing his kibble whole for years and has been fine but he also eats very small kibble.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Casey has IBD....so he cant get anything but his dog food. He loves the kibble.....and the canned alone is too rich for his tummy. He does not like the texture of kibble soaked in water. I think if I could get the right grinder/blender that would work. Does anyone have a blender /grinder that they like?

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
I linked one above that I like. It’s a good size for daily kibble. But I do think it’s important to moisten it a little, so he’s not breathing in kibble dust. You could experiment with a very small amount of water or just a spoonful of his wet food.

I find some people go overboard when they soak their dog’s kibble, forcing them to drink more water than is comfortable (or even healthy) in one go.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You might be surprised though... I know quite a few dogs and cats that eat kibble with few or no teeth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I linked one above that I like. It’s a good size for daily kibble. But I do think it’s important to moisten it a little, so he’s not breathing in kibble dust. You could experiment with a very small amount of water or just a spoonful of his wet food.

I find some people go overboard when they soak their dog’s kibble, forcing them to drink more water than is comfortable (or even healthy) in one go

I find some people go overboard when they soak their dog’s kibble, forcing them to drink more water than is comfortable (or even healthy) in one go.
Yes.....He usually ate 1/2 kibble and 1/2 canned.....I dont see the link...?

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Here you go:

I’ve never ground up kibble with it, but I’m a big fan of this little food processor:

It would make a great dedicated kibble blender. You could drop in a small spoonful of wet food, grind it all up, serve some for breakfast, and then store the rest in the fridge for dinner. It is so compact and doubles as a storage container. Plus: Dishwasher safe!

I sound like an ad. Lol. But I really just love it.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Really not a problem..pour hot water over the kibble and let it soak. Once it has cooled you can mush it some with a fork to avoid any hard pieces. You will be surprised at how well they can eat even without their teeth.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
My spoo throws up when he eats dry kibble. He normally eats raw.

What I have done is soak the kibble in Hot water for 11 minutes. Actually using more water than is needed. Then stir it up and smush a bit so that a gravy forms. He actually likes that so well he drinks the liquid first.
Or at that point you could mix it in with the canned food.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts