Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on crate training our puppy when we get him. What kind do you recommend and what size should I get for a standard? TIA

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Nothing under 48 inches with a divider for when he starts getting bigger. You can slowly allow the room as he grows and starts showing improvement in his potty training.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you dont mind a plastic crate vs a wire crate, Walmart carries the really large crates for about $80 bucks.... I believe. Its been a while since I bought my last one now. They arent the super hard plastic like the varrie kennel crates but I actually prefer the walmart ones because they are easier to move around (in and out a car) but serve the same purpose.

Of course with a plastic crate, you dont get the divider option. The plastics have worked well for me with potty training though.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
If you dont mind a plastic crate vs a wire crate, Walmart carries the really large crates for about $80 bucks.... I believe. Its been a while since I bought my last one now. They arent the super hard plastic like the varrie kennel crates but I actually prefer the walmart ones because they are easier to move around (in and out a car) but serve the same purpose.

Of course with a plastic crate, you dont get the divider option. The plastics have worked well for me with potty training though.
For that price you can find a divider, something safe and homemade. I may check walmart myself.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would also like some info on crates. I have read that the dog should be able to comfortably stand up in the crate yet have also read that as long as the dog can walk in with his head down it is ok - which is it? Our dog will be about 22" high at shoulder (30" from ground to top of head) & about 32" long (minus tail). What size crate should we use?
We are leaning toward the plastic type as they are more versatile and we are in a small apartment. Does anyone have a particular type/brand they recommend?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm assuming 48 inches is for the length. Is that right?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Our dog will be about 22" high at shoulder (30" from ground to top of head) & about 32" long (minus tail). What size crate should we use?
Poodles should actually be a square dog. Same length from base of neck to base of tail as the length from top of sholders to ground. So if you are expecting your dog to be about 22" tall at sholder, then expect them to be close to 22" long. This will help give you an idea of what crate to buy. :)

I had and loved a platic crate when Ry was young. It worked great and he felt very secure in it. I then went to a metal one once he was older. I prefer this as an older dog for him. It was cheaper in size compaired to a large plastic. He has more room, it folds flat and i dont have to take it apart (i dont keep it up anymore but still have it). We shall see with the new pup what i do, but i will start out with a plastic crate.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris can stand comfortably in her cage, but not with her head way up. She's not dipping her shoulders to go in the door though, and isn't hunched standing in it, so find it's a perfectly good size (cos 99% of the time she's in it, she's laying down anyway!) She also has plenty of room to lay down easily without being cramped.

and as far as I know, BPP has been puppy hunting for a while now, so yes there will be a puppy, eventually! I'm sure she'll let us know when one is iminent!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I also prefer a metal crate. They can be used completely open or can be covered if poochie likes a more protected den. They are easy to fold up and store.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Nothing under 48 inches with a divider for when he starts getting bigger. You can slowly allow the room as he grows and starts showing improvement in his potty training.
This size seems very large. I think 40 or 42 is acceptable. They need to be able to stand up and turn around comfortably.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
This size seems very large. I think 40 or 42 is acceptable. They need to be able to stand up and turn around comfortably.
The one I have now is 48 X 30 and Olie's head touches the top. And he can just stretch out in it - I just wish I had gone larger in the length.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have both a metal collapsible crate (good, expensive one I got years ago) and a plastic one from Wal-mart. I like both for different reasons. Right now Chantel sleeps in the metal one and Ivy in the plastic. They are both large enough for the girls to lay on their sides and stand up in, the metal one is a little wider thus giving Chantel room to stretch her legs out more when laying on her side. I love the plastic one from Wal-mart for the same reason Secreto said.. it is lighter and easier to move around/maneuver. I love the collapsible one because that is the one that goes to the dog shows with me since it collapses flat and is easy to set up. The metal one allows the dog more viability to see around and for you to see it. Some dogs do better in the wire crates, some in the plastic. It depends on the dog. Some like the cave like feeling of the plastic one and it feels like their personal den, others like to be able to see what is going on around them and fuss if they can't. Either way you go though, a crate is a must! :)

Personally, I prefer and have a smaller crate for young puppies. I tried the divider thing but found I preferred to just use a smaller plastic crate when teaching them house breaking rules. The pup doesn't have the choice of doing its duty in one end and sleeping in the other, and IF the pup has an accident, it is a small enough crate to easily take apart, clean, put back together and ready to go! Once they are clean all night for a couple weeks then they get to go into the larger crate for more stretching room. Once they are over a year old and I can trust them not to chew on anything, they are allowed to be free roaming the house at night, then after that workds out for a few weeks, I try leaving them free while I am at work or gone out. To me the crate is the absolute best training tool you can have with a dog. The best way to avoid bad habits is to not let them even begin. Used properly the crate is you and your dogs best friend. :)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Yes, i am on a puppy hunt. I wont bring one home till next fall though (if the breeders i want even have fall puppies). I am WAY too busy at the moment to take on a puppy! But still planning ahead. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts