Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if this happened to anyone else. My 7 yr old female malti-poo got the intra-nasal kennel cough vaccine a few days ago. Ever since then she is coughing like a honking sound. I took her back to the vet she said it must be allergies she had and when she gave her the vaccine it exacerbated it, she put her on cough meds, antibiotic and children's benadryl.

She is not getting better. I should have never given her the vaccine. she never had allergies before so I do not believe the vet. Could this have given her kennel cough by given her the vaccine?

Thank You!

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
The intra-nasal Bordatella immunization is a live attenuated vaccine, not a killed vaccine. As such one of the potential adverse reactions is mild symptoms of Bordatella (cough, etc.). While unpleasant I can assure you that nearly every dog that has such a reaction is not nearly so sick as a dog with actual kennel cough. My two older dogs had kennel cough once and nobody slept for days while they were symptomatic. Additionally it should be noted that when your dog recovers she will have outstanding immunity to Bordatella since she is going to make a strong active immune response.

That said this vaccine along with some others is not without its issues. Many people don't use it since "kennel couch" is not always Bordatella, so you are not really giving protection against everything that can cause those symptoms. People who are overall minimalists on vaccines generally will most likely to omit this one. Also any immunization has a small risk of adverse reactions. Small usually means one individual among 10s to 100s of thousands (applies to humans as well). However clearly it stinks if you are the one in many thousands who experiences and adverse reaction. The bigger picture though has to be framed in the context of the important goal of sufficient herd immunity to protect public health among humans and animals that reside close to us. After all the real reason we immunize dogs against rabies is to prevent human rabies and to avoid having to give people post exposure immunization.

https://rabiesalliance.org/world-rabies-day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies_vaccine#Wild_animals

ETA: I have immunized our dogs against optional things (Bordatella, Lyme, Leptospirosis) because of our activities and travels. None of them has ever had an adverse reaction. I do make extra appointments so they can be spaced out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The intra-nasal Bordatella immunization is a live attenuated vaccine, not a killed vaccine. As such one of the potential adverse reactions is mild symptoms of Bordatella (cough, etc.). While unpleasant I can assure you that nearly every dog that has such a reaction is not nearly so sick as a dog with actual kennel cough. My two older dogs had kennel cough once and nobody slept for days while they were symptomatic. Additionally it should be noted that when your dog recovers she will have outstanding immunity to Bordatella since she is going to make a strong active immune response.

That said this vaccine along with some others is not without its issues. Many people don't use it since "kennel couch" is not always Bordatella, so you are not really giving protection against everything that can cause those symptoms. People who are overall minimalists on vaccines generally will most likely to omit this one. Also any immunization has a small risk of adverse reactions. Small usually means one individual among 10s to 100s of thousands (applies to humans as well). However clearly it stinks if you are the one in many thousands who experiences and adverse reaction. The bigger picture though has to be framed in the context of the important goal of sufficient herd immunity to protect public health among humans and animals that reside close to us. After all the real reason we immunize dogs against rabies is to prevent human rabies and to avoid having to give people post exposure immunization.

https://rabiesalliance.org/world-rabies-day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies_vaccine#Wild_animals

ETA: I have immunized our dogs against optional things (Bordatella, Lyme, Leptospirosis) because of our activities and travels. None of them has ever had an adverse reaction. I do make extra appointments so they can be spaced out.
Nice summary Catherine. Monapete, yes my dog had a vaccine-induced cough the first time he got it. It was exactly as indicated in possible side effects and only lasted a few days. It didn’t cause me any worry as I knew what it was.
I hope yours is better soon.
Jen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts