Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm sorry if this is a very ignorant question but I was wondering what happens after a dog gets the Kennel Cough Vaccine?

Zael and I will be starting a beginners class in the UK Kennel Clubs Good Citizen Dog Training Scheme and in order for him to attend he must have this vaccine.
I'm not against it and have already booked him in, but my concern is weather or not he'll need to be quarantined. Is he a risk to other dogs, could he potentially pass Kennel Cough on to other dogs as this is a live vaccine? Could Zael still go on walks with my fathers two Poochons while he's being inoculated?

The veterinary receptionist didn't really explain it very well over the phone due to a bad connection and a very busy waiting room. I'll see them face to face this Tuesday coming so I can ask more questions then... but I thought I'd ask here just to see if people can but my worries to rest.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If I remember correctly kennel cough is the one is a nose spray.
Evie did not have to be quarantined when she got hers, as far as I know, other dogs can't get infected from a dog that was just vaccinated.
I could be wrong but that is from my understanding.

·
Premium Member
23,149 Posts
The Bordatella vaccine (depending on exact version) does contain live attenuated organisms of Bordatella bronchiseptica (and perhaps some related organisms). Attenuated means the organisms are very weakened to be able to have the immunized dog make a protective response without making the dog or others around it ill. There is no quarantine needed.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Kennel Cough - Bordatella

The real issue is that there's different strains of Bordatella. Is he getting the right one? There's no way of knowing unless your vet tracks local strains and vaccinates against them.

The whole idea of immunization against a Dog getting what is essentially a cold seems rather useless to me. However, many facilities demand it. Easier to go along than to fight them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the impute, I appreciate it. :)
Honestly I've had it ingrained in my head from a young age that Kennel Cough is some horrible demonic disease that will inevitably kill your dog if they catch it.
I guess I kind of freaked myself out, thanks for clearing that up for me.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Kennel Cough (bordetella) is a miserable illness, but I've never heard of a dog dying from it, so that must be extremely rare. Every single shelter dog I've pulled has had it. They feel sick for a week and get put them on antibiotics. The vaccine is extremely ineffective (like human flu shots) because as CountryBoy said, there are many strains of bordetella, so vaccinating is no guarantee, but it does lower the risk.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The Bordatella vaccine (depending on exact version) does contain live attenuated organisms of Bordatella bronchiseptica (and perhaps some related organisms). Attenuated means the organisms are very weakened to be able to have the immunized dog make a protective response without making the dog or others around it ill. There is no quarantine needed.
Always good advice

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
Kennel Cough (bordetella) is a miserable illness, but I've never heard of a dog dying from it, so that must be extremely rare. Every single shelter dog I've pulled has had it. They feel sick for a week and get put them on antibiotics. The vaccine is extremely ineffective (like human flu shots) because as CountryBoy said, there are many strains of bordetella, so vaccinating is no guarantee, but it does lower the risk.
I met some Americans whose two dogs were immunized in Arizona for bordetella but got to my home province of British Columbia and went to a busy dog park. Within a short time both dogs were seriously ill, and coincidentally they ended up late at night in front of my own good vet office in Revelstoke. Office was closed but Dr Jackson posts her home # and cell # for emergencies. She immediately dressed, drove to the office and diagnosed and treated the dogs, who did survive. She said that Canadian bordetella vaccine is different from American and as Revelstoke is a big tourism destination she's seen such things often, where dog owners thought their animals were protected. When we travelled to Arizona we had our dog immunized against a particularly nasty dog flu that had killed 80 dogs in the town we were staying in over just 2 months. This flu doesn't even exist in Canada, hence no vaccine. TruServe Hardware had sponsored weekly vaccination clinics there just for this reason

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Our vet doesn't recommend a ton of vaccines, but she does recommend bordatella (and Lyme, which i know some people are uncertain about, but it's more effective than it used to be). She said that it protects against the kennel cough strains that are most prevalent where we live. And in fact, you can't attend puppy classes, training classes, or go to a groomer around here without the vaccine, so we went ahead with it. Soon after that, my friend's two standards who did not get vaccinated picked up the bug in a local dog park. They took medication and had to stay away from other dogs for 10 days, which, since they are living in the city, meant they had to be confined indoors or in their very small yard. It may not be fatal but it's definitely unpleasant and a nuisance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts