Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I haven't been on much lately. Life happened and I've only really been able to lurk. There are so many pictures I want to comment on, but I'm usually on my phone and that is just a disaster!

Anyway... TPFKAP still has kennel cough... or at least, he is still coughing. We only have about 3 days left of antibiotics, so I'm worried I'm going to have to go back and get more. His coughing is less and less - maybe twice a day while I'm here? But he is still coughing. And now that I've found out that TQ breaks him out of his crate during the day, I'm really worried she is going to catch it from him. (Though she has been more recently vaccinated.)

Should I ride the antibiotics out and then wait a few days and check his throat before I go back to the vet?

The only experience I have had with Kennel Cough other than this is when I got TQ from the pound and she had kennel cough/pneumonia (with nasty green snot that stained WALLS, people... walls!) And her lasted two rounds of antibiotics before it finally went away.

And now I'm going BACK to bed... as if I haven't already slept all day. HA! I love how being nastily sick and off work just turn me in to a sloth :) guess I can blame it on the kennel cough lol!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Is the vet positive that it's kennel cough? Is it possible that he's developed a Luxating patella? From what I have heard both coughs can sound similar, Im not a vet of course though. I guess your best bet would have to be calling your vet again. I don't think it's very common for kennel cough to hang on that long, Ive even know it to just go away on it's own. I hooe you feel better soon too.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I thought a luxating patella had to do with a knee joint popping out of place...? Do dogs get a cough with that???

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was the most hilarious thing to read at work... by the way... lol

I was like "...Luxating patella?" and then saw the new post and I still can't see how you went from that to a collapse. Big jump there! lol

Anyway! The vet had said at his original appt that (after sticking his finger down TPFKAP's throat) the type of white, foamy saliva in the back of his throat was a dead ringer for the bronchital infection he has... so I guess I'm going to have to look and see what his throat looks like once we're done with the antibiotics.

Thank goodness you guys can't see me now... I bought TPFKAP a little nylabone brand chewy that looks like a little set of bbq ribs (he loves it, by the way) but I'm having to explain to him to not actually EAT the ribs. He's cracking me up. He is just laying there, clasping the ribs tightly in his little paws and gnawing on the "bone" part, every once in awhile he will try and stick the entire thing in his mouth and I hear him attempting to chomp it all down and eat it. At this point, I keep leaning over (he is in his crate, the only place he can peacefully chew on his bbq ribs without TQ stealing them) and looking at him and telling him to JUST CHEW, NOT EAT... he looks up at me with these BIG eyes while licking his chops, swallows a few times, looks at the chewy, looks at me, blinks adorably, then goes back to chewing. Have I mentioned before how much I love the little guy? He kills me! I'm so happy that he ended up back with me!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thank you both for the BEST LAUGH I've had in MONTHS! Hope the cough gets better soon. Our dog just got a very small case of Kennel Cough when she was around 9 months old. We didn't know that they had to be vaccinated every 6 months - now we do!

·
Registered
372 Posts
No they still can get it again, though most will build up an immunity to it. Though there are also several strains of it out there LOL.

Kiba (Min Sch) has only had it once, both poodle pups have never had it, but Stryder (Min Sch) OMG. He got it at about 4 months (Kiba caught it from him) and after that it was like anytime we went somewhere that had dogs he would come home with it again (this is over the years). He hasn't picked it up in quite awhile, but I have since stopped giving all the dogs the vacc. for it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My dog Cooper had the vac for kennel cough and then about a month later got it! You are right MericoX the vet said there were different strains of it. Makes me wonder if the vac is worth it? The Vet didn't even do anything. He sent us home to see if it would clear on its own and luckely it did. Still leaves me wondering....

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TQ had it really bad when I first got her, and is showing no signs of getting it again. (Fingers crossed on that one.) However, that was my only experience with kennel cough.

Is it possible for dogs to have a residual cough even after they are better? Ex... I was sick this past weekend, and still have a cough. Any time I get anything with my throat, I keep the cough for a week or two after I'm over whatever it was... not sure if the cough is medical more so than habitual (like clearing my throat after I've been all drainy... feels better, but sometimes there's nothing there to clear... if that makes sense.)

TPFKAP is acting more like himself (and is ready for a hair cut, yay!) than he was before, but still has the hacking cough. To try and make his antibiotics last longer, I gave him half a pill for this morning and will finish the same pill tonight. We only have two left after that. Because my vet is stupid.

Oh, and currently, Miles aka TPFKAP is flinging around the towel in his crate and wagging his tail. Who knows why that is fun, but I guess it is! (He is having to be crated A LOT while he is sick because TQ doesn't stay in a crate during the day... she stays out, and I don't want them drinking from the same water source, etc.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts