Poodle Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
There was so much Kennel Cough going around here for a few months that no Doggie Day Care, Groomer, etc would let a dog in without written proof from your vet of a recent vaccine. Even the stores that normally let dogs in had signs to that effect. It was really surprising as my dog is a Service Dog who has never had it, and hadn't been around other dogs because of Covid, but he had to get it too!

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
I'm surprised with all the social distancing how much Kennel Cough is spreading.

I was at a Nose Work Trial last weekend and I just got an email that two of the dogs that attended were coughing. They didn't name the person nor say what event they were entered which is frustrating. But I kept Babykins away from all the dogs so I'm hoping she doesn't come down with it. She's been vaccinated, but it doesn't cover everything.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm surprised with all the social distancing how much Kennel Cough is spreading.

I was at a Nose Work Trial last weekend and I just got an email that two of the dogs that attended were coughing. They didn't name the person nor say what event they were entered which is frustrating. But I kept Babykins away from all the dogs so I'm hoping she doesn't come down with it. She's been vaccinated, but it doesn't cover everything.
I mean, it's possible that since there are so many more dogs, there are more opportunities for it to spread. That, and people might be putting off going to the vet to get the bordetella shot for their area, and so their dogs get it and pass it on to dogs in the next area, who may be vaccinated against the strain in their own area, but aren't against the strain in the next. Which is one of the caveats of the vaccine itself, from what I understand--you rely on other owners to ensure their dogs are vaccinated as well before meeting with your dog.

Vita, I'm glad your two are doing better!

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
I hope they are feeling 100% now.

I think the observation about many people pushing off vet visits has some merit. In my area during the peak of the spring covid outbreak my vet was delaying vaccinations and neutering for most adult dogs. He felt most previously vaccinated dogs would maintain adequate immunity even with a delay, and so it made more sense to focus his resources on emergency care and puppy wellness.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts