Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being what is called a "senior citizen" and a widow, I decided it would be good for me and my mini poo Rudy to join a kennel club. I just got the news that I was accepted.
NOW, do any of you belong to a kennel club? How to you contribute? Is it only working at sanctioned shows?
I thought I could help with their newsletter. Thoughts on your experiences please.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
I don't belong to a conformation oriented club, but do belong to AKC sanctioned clubs (one obedience and rally mostly and the other mostly agility and another tracking only). Volunteering to steward is incredibly important to clubs like these. Stewards are like the pots of gold at the end of the rainbow. Don't worry if you feel like you wouldn't know what to do, they will be happy to show you what is needed and you will enjoy watching how dog shows run.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I belong to two dog clubs: Enchanted Poodle Club and Sandia Dog Obedience Club. I have considered joining our local conformation club, but have not decided on that yet.

Stewarding is one way I contribute. I am the show chair for the poodle club, so that's going to be a big contribution. Blessedly our show is part of a combined specialty, so it's not as much work as a stand-alone show. Years ago I was show chair for an all-breed club and that was lots of work.

Incidentally, in case you are wondering about how the poodle club got it's name, New Mexico's nickname is Land of Enchantment. If you ever see a New Mexico license plate, you'll see it on there.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
That’s wonderful that you joined.

Different clubs have different needs and ways to volunteer.

Both my clubs used to rotate volunteers to clean the buildings but decided to pay professionals to clean.

They need volunteers for newsletters, maintaining websites and organizing class schedules, accounting for payment of classes etc. Stewarding at competitions is important and much needed. Members are also the teachers who are more experienced.

But they may have other needs. One of my clubs has a booth at a local pet fair where we spent the day as a demo dog for agility also introducing anyone with a well behaved dog to the agility equipment and answering questions about dog training. Someone organizes painting your pets portrait. Someone takes care or ordering T-shirts and hoodies with the club logo. Our building is sometimes rented by other groups and I’ve gone in to move equipment into storage to leave them a bare room.

I only mentioned a few things, but there’s usually lots of ways to volunteer and if you see a need that’s not filled you can suggest it.

Reactions: lily cd re
1 - 4 of 4 Posts