Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,(new member here). Im about to welcome a standard into my home in a few months, and just want some advice. I work 10 hours a day mon-fri, and i have a dog sitter. My father, who's retired, offered to watch her during the weekdays. Both my father and i have fenced in yards for the new pup to roam around. But what i want to discuss is how to keep her/him entertained because my father mostly sits around all day, im sure the spoo would get bored? I plan on alternating interactive toys and kongs, chewies. I also have plans on making a “doggy dig pit” kind of like a dog friendly version of a kids sand box, with things for him/her to dig up. I will eventually train him/her to fetch house hold items, so he/she has a little job to do. She/he will be exercised before and after i go to work. Now do you think all that is enough to keep her/him busy while im at work? Or should i just swing for doggy daycare on all or some of my work days?

·
Premium Member
22,865 Posts
Your plans sound fine. I would enlist your dad to do a bit of brain game training with your pup. Thinking burns more energy than aimless trotting about. You can arm your dad with a couple of puzzle toys and have him do some basics of obedience (sit, down, stay and the like). Impulse control games will be excellent too. Its yer choice is an excellent one. Here is a link to Susan Garrett's web site with a description of how to start it. www.susangarrett.com

Also a flirt pole is a great interactive toy for a young spoo.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Are you getting a puppy? Are you planning to crate train? You should make sure to build in some nap times/quiet time in there too. Puppies are like toddlers -- if they miss their nap time too often, they get kind of screwy and act out. I'll bet that's something you can get your dad on board with!

You should also feed meals in the Kong, or use mealtimes as training time. Lining a Kong with peanut butter, stuffing it full of food, then freezing it could usually buy me at least an hour of quiet time when my guys were puppies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts