Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious how people keep show dogs and other dogs in the Conti pattern warm when it's cold out. Do their behinds get cold?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I allow mine out depending on the temperature. They will run and have a wonderful time for an hour if it is on the warmer side (40's) before coming in. They absolutely love to play in snow. We are having quite a storm right now and I am hoping to get outside with the camera tomorrow to get some shots of them having a good time.

If it is on the colder side. They go out to do their business and I bring them right back in.

·
Registered
744 Posts
i honestly dont thing dogs get bothered by the cold when they out playing and walking.. todd wheres a coat sometimes but i think he would be just as happy if he didnt

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I thought that Grace would be a bit chilly at night now that it is colder and a bit drafty on the floor so I gave her a higher, raised bed to sleep on at night, but so far she prefers to sleep on the rug next to my side of the bed and does not show any signs of being cold. She loves to run and play outside, even when it got down into the 20's a few weeks back and still came in panting and wanting to go back out and play. Obviously, when it gets into the single numbers, or below 0 degrees, she will be only allowed out to do her duties and wear booties on her feet since they are clipped. I have been wondering if the very thick, heavy coat over her head/neck/upper body helps keep her from being cold?????? Will see how she fairs when the REAL cold weather hits! :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mandy is in a bikini clip with a 4 blade and she feels the cold and enjoys a sweater on.
We went for a walk other day quick and didn't put a sweater on her and she didn't settle the entire walk.
Kept looking at me and you could just tell she wasn't comfortable.
Mandy has no meat on her bones though no matter how much she eats.
Casey is a chunkier but not fat boy and he only wears a sweater in the real cold.
Mandy also hates snow on her feet when walking and will stop and give me her paw al the time. Casey doesn't care one way or other

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe they don't care as long as their chest is warm? Harley LOVES cold weather, but he has a very thick coat. Bailey and I are freezing though; my house isn't easy to heat and going outside isn't fun. The West Texas wind cuts through you and we've been living in our hoodies. I was just wondering b/c there are dog sweaters, snoods and leg warmers but no bottom sweaters for dogs, lol.

·
Registered
875 Posts
this weekend at the show site it got to be 32 degrees brrrr!

Kaden was ok on the short walk from the car and the building, but we set up near a door that people were constantly using, and he started to shiver his legs as I was line brushing him. every so often I would rub his legs briskly, and I had to use the heat setting on my stand dryer just to keep my own fingers warm.

poor Kaden's "boy parts" shrunk too,poor guy

he got chicken soup with his dinner each night and had a choice to sleep in the bed or wherever, and he would start out in bed, but then get on the floor.

they make pants and things for dogs, but they really don't cover much

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
My daughter keeps her standard in a modified continental (she's just a pet, but Katy likes the cut) so her hiney is clipped very short. It's starting to grow out a little bit now, but we're having -10 below zero windchill right now and Meau doesn't seem to be bothered by the cold at all. Both she and Lucy actually SIT their butts down in the snowy backyard! Of course, Meau was born and raised in North Dakota and Lucy is a Canadian import, so they're pretty hearty in the cold (unlike the dogs and people from the southern climates)

I think Katy may let Meau grow out a little bit now that it's truly winter, to make US feel better if nothing else - since Meau really doesn't seem to be bothered by the cold! :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My greyhound NEEDED her coat to go outside, as she had no fur or fat and got really cold really fast. I know they are particularly thin-skinned, though.

My point is, some really do need a jacket, not just for our vanity. :)

These people are local, and they make amazing jackets.
http://www.k9apparel.com/

I wish Flip would grow into my old grey's coat, it is still in perfect condition, and they're not cheap!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My greyhound NEEDED her coat to go outside, as she had no fur or fat and got really cold really fast. I know they are particularly thin-skinned, though.

My point is, some really do need a jacket, not just for our vanity. :)

These people are local, and they make amazing jackets.
http://www.k9apparel.com/

I wish Flip would grow into my old grey's coat, it is still in perfect condition, and they're not cheap!
IA completely. Bailey is a Maltese and they have a single coat of silky hair. It really doesn't keep them warm, even if it's long. He's always needed a shirt, sweater or jacket when it's cold. He loves to be dressed too, he get excited when I pull a sweater out. To me, it's a fine line between keeping the dog comfortable and going to far. I think the degsigner dresses and swimming trunks are just silly, but that's me.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
When I was young my grandmother had a minipoo and he wore a sweater in the winter but we lived where it snowed and was very cold in the winter. Here I don't think the dogs would need sweaters unless they spend a lot of time outdoors because the weather just doesn't stay cold for long periods of time.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I was young my grandmother had a minipoo and he wore a sweater in the winter but we lived where it snowed and was very cold in the winter. Here I don't think the dogs would need sweaters unless they spend a lot of time outdoors because the weather just doesn't stay cold for long periods of time.
Did you get any snow recently? I know they quite a bit in Houston. I still need to call my brother in Louisiana and see if they got any.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
We were supposed to get some last week, Friday but it didn't happen. It got down to 32 and it was raining and some sleet. Today it's very cold and drizzling outside but so far no snow. I'd love it if it would snow tonight. We have been able to use our fireplace a lot this year already.

Yes Houston has been hit with quite a bit of snow which is highly unusual. They have no snow plows at all to clear up the roads. We are quite a bit further south than Houston though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts