Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I was wondering who grooms their poodle in such a way that keeps the hair long and curly (or wavy)? What products are you using? What is your bathing routine? It seems super common to either keep a short trim or to blow dry straight, and I'm having a hard time finding posts that love the curls.

I did find this one by Ciscley which I loved: https://www.poodleforum.com/9-poodle-grooming/56889-felting-vs-matting.html#post685401

My own hair started curling in the past couple years, so I've been reading up about keeping curls pretty and natural, so when we adopted Raxy I've been applying that same information to him, even though I'm not sure it completely applies. It's working out so far, and he hasn't gotten matted at all since I got his awful post-pound mats out. My favorite conditioner has been a human conditioner, Kinky-Curly Knot Today, which I use as a leave-in after his bath and use it to comb him out. But I feel like I have so much to learn! He's not crazy about being bathed, brushed (I do have a slicker brush), or combed, and I'm sad when he decides to sit with someone else in the family because I just did something with his coat.

I'd love to hear your curly-poo stories! Thanks!
Anabel

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Generally those curls lead to knots and an uncomfortable grooming session, my Beatrice has coarse curls. I use a HV dryer to blow dry her hair straight and use CC Spectrum 10 conditioner and a comb glides easily through her hair.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
twyla is right that is a recipe for mats and a shave down or a really torturous round of grooming.

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
If you don’t want the dreaded mats, curls need to be short. Artistic pictures of Raxy, none the less. My Spoo has hair to spare and I keep the topknot and ears brushed. His body and legs are short and that’s as nice ‘n easy as a poodle coat can get. Haven’t done a close shave and never will...

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
If your pup doesn't enjoy brushing, keeping the coat short is a kindness. The longer it gets, the more it tangles, and the less your dog will enjoy brushing. You'll end up in a vicious circle. My hair is naturally curly and so is Noelle's, but the texture is completely different. Using human products in poodle hair doesn't work out as well as I'd hoped. It's either too oily and picks up dirt like a magnet, or too drying. So, stick with dog products.
Keep the body hair 1/2 inch. It's long enough to curl at the ends and be adorable, but short enough to not need a ton of brushing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
...Using human products in poodle hair doesn't work out as well as I'd hoped...
OTOH dog products in human hair can sometimes be quite nice.
When I spritz Mimi with a bit of her smell good Chris Christensen Day to Day it’s impossible to resist giving myself a couple of shots as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
OTOH dog products in human hair can sometimes be quite nice.
When I spritz Mimi with a bit of her smell good Chris Christensen Day to Day it’s impossible to resist giving myself a couple of shots as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HAHA I was going to start a thread asking how many people actually use the Poodle gear on their own hair.. When I looked at how I packed for our min vacation with two dozen different gadgets for the poodle hair (he had his own suitcase - with sheets, towels, and hair gear) only to realize I forgot to pack my own hair brush...

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
HAHA I was going to start a thread asking how many people actually use the Poodle gear on their own hair.. When I looked at how I packed for our min vacation with two dozen different gadgets for the poodle hair (he had his own suitcase - with sheets, towels, and hair gear) only to realize I forgot to pack my own hair brush...

I use my grooming shears to trim my hair!

Reactions: BrooklynBonnie

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I use the trimmers and scissors on human hair too.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I love the curls too - but I keep Asta short so there isn't much of a problem with matts. Just shampoo and air dry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I bit the bullet and made Raxy a grooming appointment, but it's not for another week so we get to enjoy his fluffiness until then.

I can report to the group that using Cantu Curl Activator was fine for detangling, definitely activated curls, but gives his hair an unexpected stickiness for the next couple days. Definitely not helpful, though I loved the curls in the meanwhile.

:)
Anabel

·
Registered
149 Posts
OP, I enjoyed coming across your post as I can totally relate! I have curly hair myself, don't even own a brush because I never straighten, and have been silicone and sulfate free myself for some time. So when I brush out our poodle's curls, it feels wrong! And when I recently read that you should use a conditioning spray before brushing, my very first thought was "but I wonder if these have silicones and I don't go there myself, and won't go there with my pup" :) I too started to wonder if I could just add a drop of my silicone-free human conditioner to a spray bottle for our mpoo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rp17, I would try it. The Kinky-Curly Knot Today has really been excellent in Raxy's hair. I'd love to keep going with my long hair experiment, but I think for the time being I need to trim him back down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts