Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Everyone,

I just wanted to share with you all that my 5 year old Silver Toy Poodle Lacey passed away during the night. The vet was not sure what she actually had going on with her. About a month and a half ago she became very fragile and would not eat nor drink and had a drunken walk...She looked like she was in pain......I told the vet that she and my 7 month old Standard Poodle would play and sometimes Lelia would pounce on Lacey a little too hard....they did blood work and x-rays and everything looked fine.....They decided to treat her as if it was her back/disc so they put her on muscle relaxers and steriods........she did start getting better slowly but she never seemed to be herself, her bark was totally different.......the vet also did say that maybe it could also be neurological, especially because of her drunken walk, like a stroke or brain tumor, and in that case we would have to go a different route...but when the meds seems to be working we had hope she would be fine.........yesterday when I came home from work she was fine, I let my babies out and feed them........she had not been eating well these past few days and we thought maybe she wasn't feeling well again.......we have been keeping Leila off her at all times......I then left my home again, and my husband came home about a hour later.........he let them out again and he said she seemed fine walk up the stairs and everything.....a little later he said she threw up and he laid her down in her pen.......when I came home around 10:30 pm I checked on her and she was completely lifeless.....she passed away around 2:00 a.m. I will miss her terribly....I have attached a picture of her........I now have my Leila, a 7 month old standard poodle puppy and my Libra, my 14 1/2 year old toy poodle......Thank you for allowing me to share my grief.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
PoodleMom, I am so sorry for the loss of your little girl. It's like losing a child. :(

Is your vet going to perform a necropsy to try to find out why she died?

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I am so very, very sorry! I know your pain because I lost my first beloved Whippet after he slipped a disc at seven and became paralyzed. Gone far too soon, both of them. We are here for you if you need to vent or need our support and some cyber hugs. My thoughts and prayers will be with you!:grouphug:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oh PoodleMom, I am so very sorry! It is so painful and words are never adequate to express either the pain you feel or the sympathy we feel for you. Just know that so many of us out here have gone through this and KNOW your pain! I will be praying for you and your family!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's terribly hard losing a beloved pet, especially unexpectedly and at such a young age.

Sending thoughts and well wishes to you and your family.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'm so very sorry . Its so incredibly hard to lose a furry family member. I'll be thinking about you and praying for you.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I am so sorry for you loss, it is never easy to loose a member of the family, but it does get easier with time. My thought are with you. :hug:

Julia

P.S. Is the vet going to perform a necropsy? How were her liver values? Toy breeds often have problems with liver disease.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Such a beautiful girl and terrible loss. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Poodlemom, I am so sorry to hear about Lacey. I know you are in shock. Having just lost a treasured member of my family, my cat Tiger, I understand your grief. It is still hard but does get better each day. And having other pets is a blessing as well, although no one else can replace Lacey. You and your husband are in my prayers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts