Poodle Forum banner

Just thought I'd introduce myself!

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  passion4poodles 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking here for a while, and I thought I should finally register. Anyways...My name is Leah and I live in Miami, FL. I am very much in love with the poodle breed, though I suppose you could call me a novice. A few years ago my sister, out of impulse, bought an adorable mini poodle from a pet store. Highly irresponsible of her, especially since I'm sure they got their dogs from puppy mills. She was a very loved part of our family, but she ended up developing leukemia and sadly died about 2 years ago.

I'm head over heels for poodles, and hopefully in a couple of months I will be getting a poodle of my own.

#3 ·
Unfortunately, the poodle breed has a lot of irresponsible breeders (back yard breeders and puppy mills) that don't care to know how to better the breed quality. As a result, it seems like there are more unhealthy poodles than healthy ones. I'm really sad your sister lost her poodle to Leukemia. It's heartbreaking.

One thing I would mention about the poodle breed is that they REALLY REALLY want to be part of the family. All dogs love attention from their owners. Poodles however, want to be a constant companion. It's amazing how they anticipate you. It sounds like you saw this between your sister and her poodle which is why you would like to have one.

Welcome to the forum and ask away. There are a lot of people who can tell you about reputable breeders and help you choose which size would suit your lifestyle best. Did you have a particular size in mind already? Do you have any other pets? I'm biased with the poodle, but I enjoy seeing other breeds too. :D

#4 · (Edited)
Thank you for welcoming me!

Yes it was definitely a heartbreaking experience! I wasn't sure I had completely gotten over it until recently. My sister isn't the best pet owner, so the rest of the family ended up picking up the slack, but we definitely enjoyed every minute of it!

I've actually determined that a Toy would be the perfect size for me at this point in my life. I was at first considering a Spoo, but I feel my current house/yard aren't big enough for a Standard. A toy would be perfect for my situation though! I think their small size is very cute and I've always wanted a dog I could bring out and about with ease. I've been raised around large breeds(mostly samoyed's, chow chow's, pitbull's, and mixed rescues) so I'm very biased for large breeds, but I think they should have a bit more room then I currently have. That's city living for you. From my experience with Bitsy(my sisters mini), I wouldn't mind a small dog at all though.

I have a cat, who keeps to herself, and at my grandmothers house, which I visit frequently, they have a rescue black lab.

#6 ·
Welcome to the site --

As you are looking for a new addtion, my suggestion is that you make sure the breeder is well known in the area and respected by the othe breeders. I just replaced my 2 year old spoo that passed away a few months back with a puppy. The first spoo came from a line of poodles that I have since learned is notorious for bad breeding... The second time, I found a breeder that is well known and respected in the area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.