Poodle Forum banner

Just starting my poodle search and have a question

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Snoodle 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm just starting to search for a toy poodle through a reputable breeder. There are so many websites out there advertising poodles so its hard to tell which is legit and which isn't.

My question.... I realize good quality food fed to your pet makes a world of difference for a healthy, happy dog. I'm just wondering about reputable breeders and the quality of food they would feed their dams and sires. Would a reputable breeder feed top quality food? Should I be leery of breeders who feed less than superior quality food to their dogs?

The reason I'm asking is because someone has recommended a certain breeder but when I check them out a little further, their choice of food I think is probably not the best. Would I take this as a sign that the breeder may be less than legit?

Thanks for your help. This whole dog search thing is pretty overwhelming at the moment.

#2 ·
I'm going through the same thing. I always knew health clearances were important but I just recently started trying to figure out what the scores, ratings and individual test meant. I personally wouldn't let food be my deciding factor. I think premium dog food is important, but some dogs do just fine on a lower quality diet. Some dogs have digestive issues and can't handle rich or high protein diets. This forum is a wealth of knowlege and I'm sure the other's can be more helpful.

#3 ·
Welcome! I hear you on the difficulty of breeder searching. I have been looking for months and now might be right back to ground zero... But as long as I end up with a great pup at the end of all this, I'll be fine.

Anyway, I think food is important. It shows whether the breeder is educated on how to keep their dogs healthy and whether they care enough to pay for higher quality food. Having said that, I personally would not rule out a breeder just because of the food they fed unless it was real garbage (it's up for discussion what real garbage is.) I'm more concerned with quality of the dogs being bred, health testing, temperament, etc. :)

In an ideal world though, my breeder would feed raw, like we do! But frankly I'm struggling enough to find someone who satisfies my requirements without putting that one on, so I'll let it go...

#4 ·
I would pay attention - top breeders use premium food and also would try to per sway a buyer to use premium food too. If they cut corners on food , than they would most probably cut corners on other things too. BUT, I have to agree with Cdnjennga - if everything else looks top-notch - I would not put food choice as a deciding factor , unless again, as Cdnjennga said they feed their dogs some crappy food that is full of fillers and corn and "byproducts" at the top of the list of the ingredients.

I am so sorry guys that you have such a tough time finding good breeders : ((, BUT do not give up ! They are out there and they are certainly worth the time and the effort !!!

Best of luck to all !!!!!

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses. It does get overwhelming with so many options out there. I guess if the breeder has no qualms advertising what type of food they feed their dogs, then they are comfortable with the quality of dogs they breed. But Cdnjennga, I'm with you, I think the type of food is important, and I'd like to feed my dog the same quality of food I would consume myself.

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

#6 ·
Looking for a breeder, I would attend a few open and also championship shows, talk to other people you know who have poodles, look at which breeders do the appropriate tests etc and then make up your mind. Personally I don't think food is an issue because different people have different opinions as to what constitutes good food.

#7 · (Edited)
Well With the experience I have had talking to some poodle people. I have asked what food they are feeding some said pro plan ....... They have no problem with it and there dogs and breeding practices are spot on.

I don't think pro plan is a good dog food anymore but like I said these breeders are showing and health testing etc...

If I see some breeder feeding pedigree and any grocery store brands then I may question them lol

Basically where I live I tell people if you can buy it from Ralphs,vons,target,walmart then its bad food usually.

These stores only carry brands like pedigree, dog chow, iams aka crap food lol

#8 ·
Thats what I thought. When I saw the type of food this 'reputable' breeder was feeding their dogs (grocery store brand), I had to question if they were really legit. So I guess if I have to question this criteria, then this breeder is not one I'm looking for.

P.S. I'll have more questions about breeders coming soon. Thanks all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.