Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
We rescued a little poodle that had been dumped near the highway about three weeks ago. We have had her all checked out and she is heartworm-free, and vaccinated now (she came into heat about a week later, which is delaying her spay). She is a little love, and while we originally thought we would foster her, she has stolen our heart and we are keeping her. I have two big dog rescues and a little Chihuahua rescue too, and she (Cosette) gets along with everyone. The rescue league I dealt with told us she was about 18 mos. old and a toy poodle (she weighs six pounds). She was a mess of mats and fleas, but looks pretty cute with her new "shaved" coat.

My only question/concern is her "floppiness". My chihuahua is very opposite...when we pick her up, she "assumed the position" and sort of perches as she observes the world. Cosette tends to sort of arch her back, look at us adoringly, and "flop". She also prefers to lie on her back on our knees and look up at this. She runs and plays normally, but I kind of worry that this is odd/neurological? It's only when we hold her or lift her up. I have an appt. with my vet next week (until now we have done everything through the rescue and obviously it's pretty cursory vet stuff).

Anyway, she is our first poodle and maybe this is a poodle thing. Even though she is six pounds, she is 10 inches with these impossibly long legs! Maybe that's the problem.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
She seems like she will be the taller, thinner type....skinny little legs that are like trimming barbie doll legs when getting groomed. Some dogs have that tendancy to be so meek and submissive---couple with her frailty of build, she probably just lacks confidence. Don't force her to do "scary" things or it will keep her in her shell longer. She will probably want to explore everything around her from the comforting nest of your bosom.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, she is so cute with the long legs! To me, she looks like a muppet. Will she still be a toy (the weight is right, but the height seems to be a mini)?
She doesn't seem meek in general, but probably when we first pick her up she is. She is loving this life of love and care...poor little thing. The animal league said that dogs are being dumped in record numbers due to the economy. Well, it's our gain.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
nothing wrong with a dog who trusts you enough to flop. Nothing at all. They can be easier to train in many ways as they are looking to you for direction. as long as she has some good confidence as well.

Like any little dog it's important they walk many places. But one of the joys of the little dog (mine is 22lbs *L* he thinks he's a very small dog- he's not!) is that you can hold them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again,
I do understand that this is submissive, but it's like she is floppy all over when we pick her up. I guess it's so different from my chi. She also arches her back and looks at us, and then settles down to cuddle. It's probably just a matter of getting used to another small dog. My chi is five, but before her, I have always had big dogs (but I am a confirmed small dog owner now, because I DO love the cuddle times!). I was actually worried it could be neurological, but she seems so bright and healthy in all other aspects. She LOVES to take long, long walks. We just adore her. We are reading up on poodle everything. I think she is "all" poodle, especially since the long legs can be poodle-y. So adorable. Thanks for the advice. I love forums so much--there is so much to learn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again!

Hello! I am Cosette's very in love 13-year-old owner. My mother has already posted here before with questions, but now I'm just here to talk. I never new how in love I'd be with a poodle(we own two small chihuahuas and I always considered myself a "chihuahua person") but she stole my heart! She has a great personality and is SO smart. I've already learned so much about this breed and am so happy to have a toy poodle of my own! :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Have you two posted a picture?? Where is it?

See what the vets says about the floppiness, but if Cosette likes to take long walks and can sit straight, she's probably fine.

Both of mine do a "flop" when they are snoozing. They will flip over onto their backs, spread-eagle their rear legs, and hold their front paws up under their chins. Pippin will snore softly. It's the most submissive posture you could ever see, and they both do it when they are sound asleep. They will roll over into the posture just as they are on the verge of sleep overtaking them.

So if that's the sort of thing you are talking about, nothing to worry about.

I was going to suggest it could be a muscle tone issue, but again, with the love for long walks, seems unlikely.

How tall is she? I got my Pippin from a rescue. He is a 12" tall mini. He was down to 8 lbs. in the home of the neglectful owner, was 10 lbs. when I got him, and is around 13 or 14 now. (Too much, I need to get him back down to 11 or 12.)

Anything above 10" would be considered a mini, so if she's exactly 10", I'd say she's a toy. Doesn't reallly matter so long as you keep her weight in proportion to her frame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds just like what she does!(which is humorous since is usually so NOT submissive!) No pics yet, but I really should get on that. By the way, SUCH cute names! I named Cosette after a orphan girl in my favorite french novel.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I love the stories of how dogs got their names. "Pippin" was suggested by a friend of mine, and I loved it right away because I grew up in Michigan, now live in Virginia, and the Pippin is a type of apple grown in both states. It sounds little and cute, and that's what he is.

Also, in history, Pippin was the father of Charlemagne, who united parts of Italy. I'm Italian, so liked that connection too.

I wanted to name Casey "Charley," for Charlemagne, but my husband didn't like it. He (the dog) is named after Casey Jones, the heroic train engineer. We saw the Casey Jones museum the summer before we got him, so the name was in our minds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We named most of our pets after orphans since they are all rescues. We have dogs named "Pip" "Maggie" "Evie" "Dolly"(last two not orphans)and cats named "Annie" and "Oliver". And, of course, Cosette!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Congrats on the new baby. Love your orphan names. Penny does that same flop almost everytime she's in my arms. Sounds like she's very similar to your girl. She was 5.9 lbs 3 weeks ago, the last time we went to the vet, and is 10.5 inches. Long legs! My last baby was a Chihuahua and I just can't get over Penny's long legs. Oh and welcome!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We got two chihuahuas before Cosette(Dolly and Evie), and I know what you mean- very different breeds but equally lovable!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts