Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After listening to regular people discussing dogs that could work for a child with allergies, I need a tranquilizer. The amount of misinformation is staggering. The amount of times a poodle mix or specifically a labradoodle gets recommended for a person with allergies...arrrgh! The amount of times you hear "all dogs shed" which is true- but so misleading in this case. I can comb a small tuft of hair out of Violet with a complete comb out, but I do not find her hair on me, the floor, or the sofa. I find my own hair in those places, haha, but not hers. Now compare that to a lab or a chihuahua- holy smokes, it's like night and day. I know for some people it's the saliva allergy...

I tried to provide some good information about reputable breeders, spending some time with a breed to see if you have a reaction, allergy dose differences between different sized dogs, and more... However, my information is a speck in an ocean of misinformation. Everyone is recommending a poodle mix, and because "breeders are bad" to get one at the humane society. For someone with serious allergies, probably just going to the humane society is not a good idea- but I'm spitting into the wind with that information.

I'll wind this up with a comment I recently got from a trainer at a socially distanced, outdoor dog class: "It's so nice to see a small poodle! With this doodle craze, it's small red doodles all the time now."

P.S. I own and love a small doodle I got from the humane society hello, Navy-baby! But I didn't get him thinking he would be great for allergy sufferers. Navy led me to the end of the rainbow where I found purebred poodles. Thanks for letting me get that rant off my chest.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Twila! You are a good listener. I know you understand :) PoodleForum can be so therapeutic.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope so, Raindrops. The little girl with allergies has been asking for a dog for a long time. It would be nice if her parents got accurate information that might make that dream possible. I love to see kids loving dogs.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
20200905_104558.jpg

Blast from the past my mom cocker spaniel poodle mix Smokey, I was allergic to him

·
Registered
Beau 1yr old Mini Poodle
70 Posts
I totally get what you're saying I've been there myself and those conversations are extremely annoying.
I had a doodle myself for 12 years my wonderful dog Charlie. And while I loved him very very much and he was a great dog he was definitely not hypoallergenic/non-shedding. Charlie shed like crazy he shed so bad you could run your hand down his back and come up with fur. My seven-year-old nephew is very allergic to dogs he couldn't even touch Charlie even though he badly wanted to, but Beau my mini poodle is no problem. My nephew can pet and play with him as much as he pleases and it never affects his allergies.

Plus like I tell people now nearly all of the good personality traits that I loved about Charlie came from the poodle in him.:)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh my goodness, Twyla! Thank you for sharing your Smoky photos. I also grew up with a cocker-poodle mix who had long straight hair, black to grey. A wonderful dog and one of the puzzle pieces that eventually made me go "hey, maybe its the POODLE in them that makes them extra special, why not try a purebred poodle?" Doh!

Tierna, thank you for understanding. Doodles are the gateway to poodles, for some of us. Underneath it all they are dogs, and dogs are some of the most genuine creatures on Earth. I'm thankful for them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dianaleez, haha- haven't we always been know-it-alls privately at home? Even those of us who respect the role science has to play still have humanity's flaws and vices. I do think it's good if civil society can agree upon rules-of-play, but I better be careful here. No politics on PF. Poodles are personal. The personal is political. Poodles are life. Life is political. But here we will just speak of our personal life with Poodles. It is restful. We can all agree that it is true that poodles have curly hair.

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Of all the dogs I've met, a poodle mix triggered my allergies the worst. I can feel my nose tingling as I type this!!

We encounter lots of folks who think Peggy's a doodle, which inevitably leads to them telling us alllllll about the doodles they know. One woman bulldozed everything I said about poodles to brag about her very allergic daughter's new doodle puppy. I was too polite, but my mom blurted, "Sounds like she should have gotten a poodle then!"

Silence.

Lol.

My mom is fully onboard the poodle train since meeting Peggy.

·
Registered
645 Posts
People acting like doodles are all hypoallergenic and that poodles are nothing to consider kind of annoy me a little. Like, seriously, why not get a breed that is 100% going to have the hair type you want? Especially since it just drives the doodle craze even more, making more and more unhealthy and homeless dogs... I‘ve been going through all the pages of Google looking for mini poodle breeders in each state on the East coast lately, and the search results go a little like:

doodle, doodle, rescue doodle, puppy farm, legit breeder, doodle, doodle, doodle, doodle, puppy farm, “list of top ten hypoallergenic breed and breed mixes!”, doodle, rescue doodle, doodle, legit breeder, legit breeder, doodle, doodle, ‘Merle’, doodle, whoodle(?), puppy farm, doodle, Merle doodle, legit breeder, doodle, doodle, may-or-may-not-be-a-scam, doodle, doodle, doodle.

The last page typically goes a little something like:

scam
scam
doodle
doodle
scam
doodle
legit breeder.

It’s a bit like finding a needle in a haystack to find an actual poodle because demand for doodles is so high. So. Many. Doodles. On an off note, I got an article in one of the search results pages about 5 pages in on how to choose a good breeder, which I found hilarious, as I had gone through 60+ pages cumulatively at that point. I’ll have to see if I can add the screenshot.
EDIT: Here it is. Even better, it was right on top of an article about poodle mixes XD

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Well in the world you can click and get whatever you want, and in this world the people want those rare breeds, colors. I am tired of doodle owners blaming bad behavior on the poodle half, versus the lack on training on their part or bad breeding.
I will admit that "designer" "hybrid" mutt puppies are cute, but so are well bred poodle puppies, but I saw pictures of Lenny's breeders newest toy poodle puppies, they are drop dead gorgeous.
I will pay top dollar for another beautiful healthy poodle or I will adopt a poodle or poodle mix from a rescue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I feel your frustration. If people want to put my baby in the doodle category without asking me, then that's fine. We got a "your golden is beautiful" the other day :| . It comes with the territory.

But if people want to listen, I give them the pitch "Dad was red and a show poodle. Mom was white. So basil was somewhere inbetwen and looks "golden" (more appricot). Her litter was bred to be therapy pups and bred for tempurment. Her Grandma was a therapy dog. The "best" 3 pups in her litter went to therapy school and Basil was the 4th pick and lankiest to be my running partner, therapy pup, snuggle fluff, and BFF."

Then you get a "oh damn" type of reaction.

Queue Juicy by Notorious Big "Now if you don't know... now you know..."

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I began my research on a potential puppy, I was looking for a small doodle ( cava-poo, malti-poo, yorkie-poo ). I spent over a year just researching the personality traits and what I might be able to expect from the puppy.

During this time, I had a co-worker that spent several thousands of dollars trying EVERY training opportunity in our area, including boarding her dog w/ the trainer for a month ( something I do not agree with ), due to the fact that her maltii-poo had bitten family members and neighbors at least 7 times and was just unapproachable/trainable. I'm thankful that the dog was not euthenized, but if a larger dog had bitten that many times, I do not think the outcome would have been the same. This family went on to purchase a small labradoodle ( because the first dog was supposed to be their young daughter's dog ) and things seem fine w/ this doodle. The family still walks on egg shells around the malti-poo. They are responible owners and committed to providing a home for the ill-bred malti-poo, but it is not a happy situation for anyone. They are all scared of the 10 lb malti-poo and he doesn't really seem to have a good quality of life.

Her story gave me something to think about, I never thought a little malti-poo could be so ill tempered. I continued to do research. I spoke to 3 professional groomers and all 3 said they dislike grooming doodles the most. I have/had australian sheperds for over 15 years. No one understands the full impact of "shedding" than an aussie owner. The main reasons I was looking into a non-shedding dog. When I saw there was a market for aussie-doodles, my first thought was "what a grooming nightmare". I'm sure there are wonderful aussie-doodles out there and I'm not at all a snob when it comes to pure-bred poodles. I don't think my Sammy would qualify as a really "well bred" poodle.

Anyway, after over a year of research, I came to understand going doodle was a big gamble and really, everything I wanted in a dog ( characteristics/temperament/emotional attuity/intelligience ) were all poodle traits.

In the beginning, I would never have thought I would have gotten a pure bred poodle. I am SO glad I did. Not just because he doesn't shed ( can't tell as I have an aussie, a pomerianian mix and a ragdoll cat in the home too ), but because of his personality. He is the most "human" like dog I have ever met/had. He is so smart. I swear he understands everything I say and do.

I did not want a dog that (in my area) costs $70 every other month to groom. But he is worth it. I get all the benefits of having a poodle. I expect doodle owners pay as much or much more for grooming.

Not bashing the doodle owners. I'm sorry if it comes across like that. There are good/easy dogs and difficult dogs across the board. I just had one chance and luckily my journey ended up pairing me with the perfect dog for me.

I hate to admit this. Initially, I thought pure bred poodles were kinda ugly. The "teddy bear" puppies were so much cuter! Now, there is NOTHING that is as cute to me as my Sammy's face

·
Registered
19 Posts
I started looking at doodles, but had the same experience where I realized that everything I wanted in a doodle were actually poodle traits. Also, I kept reading that the only way to get a poodle coat was to buy an "F2" doodle, which had three poodle grandparents out of four, but it was nearly impossible to find a breeder who'd done the proper health testing on those poodle grandparents - so at that point, I'd be spending $3k on a 3/4 poodle mutt bred from dicey lineage with a 'one year' health guarantee.

The other thing I keep noticing about the doodles my friends own is that they're all enormous. I think every single one has grown far bigger than predicted, and most are larger than the retrievers or golden labs in their parentage. It's a whole lot of shaggy dog leaping up at you at the front door.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Daabor, as someone who had aussies years ago, I hear you on the shedding. My mini poodle so far has no detectable shedding, as in I don’t find it anywhere except a small tuft in the comb/brush during grooming. She is combed pretty regularly, so YMMV. This lack of shedding has been a revelation to me. It’s so much easier to keep the house clean! I honestly can’t see myself ever buying a shedding breed again, even though there are many of them I find delightful.
Thomazine, good observations. Buying a doodle puppy has both high upfront and unseen costs. Most of us do have to give some thought to the overall costs.
Speaking of costs, I think most poodle owners should give a good try at home grooming. Though I also think it’s important for a poodle to have frequent positive experiences at a groomers in the first year of life so they have skillz (and the human will learn things from the professional groomer, too).

·
Premium Member
9,758 Posts
Most of us are against breeding poodle crosses intentionally. It’s even more upsetting when a cross commands a higher price than either of two well-bred breeds behind it. The poodle cross fad, is such a bonus for backyard breeders and puppy mills. They can use substandard, non health tested parents to bring you the cross du jour, a bernadoodle, a cavepoo. Not that crosses can’t be darlings and wonderful pets. Just, please don’t feed the machine. A good friend ended up returning a cockapoo puppy to the breeder, and never got another mix. Only poodles from then. She said the cockapoo was nuts.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My Collie is shedding like crazy right now. Every clump of hair I love my Poodle more. Someone asked when I was going to breed my Collie & Poodle. I had to bite my tongue to make my response kind. I just pulled up a pic of that type of cross & asked if they thought that cute.... then responded I'm into pure properly bred dogs.i haven't met many that I'd want to live with. Yeesh, why would I breed for that? I trained dogs & doodles were a nightmare 90% of the time with the exception of little Shih-poos. We had a breeder who bred them & she was creating awesome family companions & they were healthy & wonderful to train.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
I met a litter of rough coated collie/poodle mix. The puppies were adorable. But, aren't all puppies. As my poodle matures, he is growing into the very intelliigent and attuned ( to me ) dog that I wanted. I'm not sure if the majority of doodle owners get the dog they wanted, once the cute puppy stage is over.

But then again, in this geographical area, there are very few doodles in shelters. So, maybe it works for most people. I am in no way a "poodle snob". If it works for others, GREAT. I chose to get a purebred poodle to stack my hand. I would care less if Sammy were a doodle ( if he had the same temperament and personality ). I chose to get a pure bred poodle because I felt that I, as a dog owner, was insufficient and needed to find a dog that was easily trainable. I've been very successful training sammy. I cannot say whether it is because he is a poodle or not, I can say he is the most easily trained dog I have ever met.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts