Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just joined. I have a standard poodle named Taffy. She is about 21 months old. She is a sweet girl but the pickiest dog I've ever owned and slightly shy. We live in Ma. I have another dog, Sophie, a 3yr old german shepherd. There are 3 other dogs in the same house, a border collie, springer, and giant schnoodle (g. schnauzer/std poodle cross). There is also a great dane that lives in a luxury kennel on the property (a/c and heat). I'm going to be going over to wherever grooming questions are and ask a bit and maybe whine about the groom she got today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Train wreck groom

Looks like I don't have priviledges to post anywhere else which is kinda crumby for new members. So I'll have to post here.

I brought my girl to the groomer today for the first time since she's been an adult. The groomer claimed she knew how to groom poodles. I was set to supervise. Well after getting there she starts brushing and combing and wants me to go over what the cut looks like. So I go over it with her and get a description off the internet via my blackberry. I was worth trying her as I know the person who owns the shop and I was going to allow their student groomer to use my dog for her final exam. This time though I wanted her done by someone that sort of knew what they were doing. She claimed she did but just wasn't very experienced. Anyways I needed to run to the bank and pharmacy down the street so I figure, it is going to take the girl a while to get to clipping as she needs to wash and dry. I get back maybe an hour later at the most to find her almost done clipping my filthy dog. She really was filthy with stuff stuck in her coat before. She had clipped the feet over 1" too high and the poms start too high too and it looked like she tried to scissor them into poms. I'm not sure that they can be salvaged at this point. I had clipped them in the past and the line to stop was visible. When I pointed it out she said she usually stops in the right place for pet trim but wasn't sure. She could have waited, I was coming back. You can always leave something long and clip it later if unsure. The rosettes, though over sized, can be trimmed down to the proper size and her lines seem ok. I realized this person has no clue how to groom a poodle when I noticed the hair was still long on the face and asked if she had done it. She said she had but goes with the growth of the hair with a 10. I made her redo that correctly and stood there telling her how to do it. I've been doing that correctly since she was a little puppy and I'm not a professional groomer. She finally got her into the bath soon after I got back. She didn't finish before the time I had to leave and was drying her so I had to take her still damp and go and was late for my appt. I'm going to be bringing her back tomorrow to allow her to finish the job as she can't be left as is. I went to the library and borrowed a book on poodle clipping and grooming for her to read a little before continuing. Hopefully she'll be able to at least make her look half way decent so I'm not ashamed to have her in public. I know it will grow back but I'm a little disappointed the groomer screwed up this much on the first continental I've ever had done. If she pulls it off to look decent I will be amazed. There will definitely be a bit of price negotiation going on with me and the owner after she is done. I feel bad for the girl that needs to use her in 2 months for the final as the legs won't be grown in enough to show her doing it right. I'm going to talk to the owner about making sure her groomers are trained how to properly groom a poodle in the future.

Now my girl had 7 months of growth on her. If I want to grow her back to get it done right do I need to shave her down? If I shave her down, do I have to do her whole body or can I leave her top knot intact and the rest will catch up? I mean if I leave her top knot will the rest grow in and not look too strange? She has never not had a top knot and I think I would be sad if it were all chopped off and I have bows for it too. I don't want her ears shaved either. Her top knot just doesn't seem to be growing very well at the moment. I've tried banding it but she broke it recently when she figured some way of removing the front bands in her wire crate. The front of her top knot just will not grow, either she is working the bands out or another dog has been licking it. She likes to rub her face on things too which isn't good. She is being a bit difficult at the moment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
That's too bad that Taffy's groom turned out this way. :( I don't have any advice on whether letting her grow out or shaving her completely is the better choice... Hopefully the groomer will be able to salvage something and make her look really cute (she's a cutie anyway, but she could be stunning with a good haircut!!) :) I agree with the "highwaters" on her feet/ankles - the groomer should have waited or taken off less rather than more - that's the biggest thing that catches my eye...

Post more pictures after her "touch up"!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Welcome and cute girl - BAD cut, so far anyway:wacko: BUT I think it can be salvaged but you should try re-posting this in the grooming section and get some professional opinions on this one.

She will be adorable either way:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
In my experience as a certified groomer in two different states...I have never come across a pet groomer who knew how to set a continental pattern except for my trainer. Typically pet groomers are quite different than show groomers. Next time I would suggest calling around and asking if someone is up to the challenge and could read up and learn about it before they proceed. That is terrible what they did..I'm so sorry. If you go back there...it doesn't look like she straightened the coat...this NEEDS to be done before any scissoring. She actually has enough hair to look somewhat decent if you can get her finished properly. I wouldn't shave her poms..they'll grow. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My advice for you is this: LOSE that groomers number. Do not go back tomorrow and have her touch another hair on your poor dog. I also want to tell you that you you absolutely cannot possibly expect a beautiful continental trim on a dog that is not maintained correctly on a WEEKLY basis. 7 months of growth qualifies you for ULTIMATE MAKEOVER CHALLENGE in every grooming competition I know of....and ONLY nutty but extremely talented groomers even dare take the challenge. I can clearly see your goomer was NOT up for the challenge. Start fresh and chalk this one up to the bad grooming nightmare chapter in your dogs life.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Okay so I was really bored and hopefully you can read it...I basically drew an "approximate" graph of where a few of her pattern lines should be. If ya have any questions lemme know=)
You are so sweet! That looks fantastic, I'm saving this!

And I agree with P2P - after you patiently watch over the groomers shoulder until she finishes the way you want it - then I would lose the number. AND then do your homework lol - most groomers that do clips like this have pics or even references, I would think. I cannot wait to see after pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts