Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need to whine and complain.

I am so frustrated with people who don’t pick up their dog poop and with people who don’t keep a leash on their dog in our neighborhood where there are city rules to do these things. Our neighborhood is SO busy with people and dogs. One must be always aware.

It’s just so frustrating. I know I can’t change people and some things you just have to go with it but today I had just had enough so have to complain. It’s a stupid thing but today there was a guy with his dog off leash that was playing with his dog right where we walk, right next to the sidewalk, by the small park by our house. We went a different route, of course. If he and his dog were further into the park it wouldn’t have bothered me so much but he was literally standing and playing by the sidewalk where people walk and his dog had no leash. I know for some people off leash dogs in an area where they are to be leashed is no problem but for many it is. It’s really unfair to the leashed dogs. Things happen, accidents happen. I’m not talking about that. I’m frustrated with people who absolutely and continually don’t pay attention to the city ordinances. There is a reason for them.

In the big picture of life there are bigger deals but navigating these things is a regular, daily occurrence. I’m tired of constantly having to watch for dog poop and always having to be on the look out for off leash dogs, so often changing our walk plans because of them. If there weren’t city ordinances to leash your dog and pick up poop, fine but there are. Off leash dogs who run up to us are our biggest problem, a problem that shouldn’t be in our neighborhood.

Ok! Thanks for letting me vent! I feel better. 😊🤣

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My husband and I have a daily rant about dog poop. People are so inconsiderate and disgusting. Every day we encounter poos in the grass verges and on the pavement and then there are the black poo bags that are left lying around. I understand this even less. People who don't pick up are one thing, but I just don't get those that put it in a bag and then leave the bag lying around. Why? What's better about leaving poo bags around? And the other rant is broken glass. We encounter broken glass all over the place and also in the woods. Why do people have to smash bottles in the woods?

So I've had my vent but I don't feel better 🤬

·
Registered
820 Posts
Two tramps ( hobos ), walking down the street.
They see a what they assume to be a pile of dog poo.
One bends down, sticks a finger in and sniffs - 'smells like it' !!
The other does the same and has a taste - 'tastes like it' !!
' Good job we didn't tread in it' !!!!

.... I'll get me coat.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My husband and I have a daily rant about dog poop. People are so inconsiderate and disgusting. Every day we encounter poos in the grass verges and on the pavement and then there are the black poo bags that are left lying around. I understand this even less. People who don't pick up are one thing, but I just don't get those that put it in a bag and then leave the bag lying around. Why? What's better about leaving poo bags around? And the other rant is broken glass. We encounter broken glass all over the place and also in the woods. Why do people have to smash bottles in the woods?

Yup! Broken glass in the woods!!
In fact not just that but general rubbish in the park too.
Indeed even on walks in the countryside.
Perhaps just maybe in the urban environment some blame can be put upon silly youngsters, and in some cases foxes emptying the bins.
But still beggars belief how ..... STOP!!
No need to rant.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I think the only thing that will help with that is the city/town cracking down and handing out fines.

Where I live I have the opposite issue. We can only have our dogs off leash in dog parks or private property. A few years back they started allowing dogs to walk on leash on paths that go through parks. Not on the grass but on the path only. All dogs have to be licensed as well. Everyone seems to be very good at picking up after the dogs too as I Rarely see poop. Where there is a problem is in dog parks where there are a few people that walk around with their faces stuck watching their phones and not watching for when their dog drops one. We are lucky though as the dog park is very large and is also locked (magnetic gate). Folks that live in my town get one free dog pass card per household which is renewed annually with proof of dog licence and folks that live in other towns/municipalities have to pay to get access. This solved a lot of issues with irresponsible owners in the dog park. Before they put the lock in place some owners would bring dogs to the park and leave them there unattended for a few hours! There were also more aggressive dogs too. I only wish that there were more places that allowed dogs as I see some of your photos of dogs in malls and beaches etc. I think here dogs are allowed in some pet stores but unless they are therapy dogs they are not allowed in most places.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I always have spare poop bags and hand them out to those who “forget” to bring theirs. Oh goodness you don’t have a bag?! Here ya go! The first time I did it was with a little chihuahua who always pooped by my mailbox. Af that point, I was breeding angelfish and had a bunch of tanks in the garage. I was changing out water, so sitting in the garage and here came the guy with his pooper! I finally figured out who was causing me to step in dog mess when trying to get the mail! So I said oh no! You don’t have a bag, hang on a sec!! And I ran inside for a grocery sack. The guy just stood there looking like a deer in the headlights, then he sheepishly took the bag, and I miraculously stopped having poop by my mailbox.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can't even go here. I cannot get started. My daughter is even worse. She lives in an older part of town where yards are small and dreams up all the schemes to outwit these people. We have thought of signs. Last trick she read about was putting ground up citrus peelings, like lemon, orange, etc as dogs and cats are deterred by the smell. I won't rant, but know that I am with the other ranters.

·
Administrator
14,451 Posts
It weighs on me, too, @Spottytoes. The number of times Peggy’s been ambushed by off-leash dogs... Even on our own property! It’s just cruel. We have a neighbour who’s a repeat offender. And then they’re helpless because—in their words—if they try to catch their dog, he’ll bite them. Comforting!

·
Registered
732 Posts
These people made it impossible to walk Evelyn in my former apartment complex. I was threatened by another complex resident who assumed that because I was the only person that he saw walking their dog that I must be the person leaving poop all over. Even after showing him my bags, in one case one full of poop, he still followed me home cursing and threatening me.

The worst part is I'm pretty sure the dog pooping in his yard belonged to his elderly neighbor who is the only person I ever saw walking their dog. I know for a fact that neighbor didn't carry bags and couldn't lean down to pick up their basset hound's poop even if they did carry bags. But he wasn't the only one, and it could very well have been the loose pitbull I occasionally saw on our walks. Or any of the many dog owners I didn't see walking their dogs. We were constantly getting letters about dog waste and someone in my building began allowing their dog to poop directly by the building doors. Which was arguably better than the dog that was weeing in the building lobby, but only slightly.

Reactions: Tulsi

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
There is an episode of “Billions” on Showtime, when Chuck Rhoades then a U.S. Attorney enforced the NYC’s Code on a guy without a plastic bag. I can’t describe without spoiling the scene. Suffice it to say, the best we can do is share an extra bag. The uncomfortable bit is when we have to remind a dog owner that they missed a spot and don’t have AG resources behind us to enforce if they don’t take the offered bag.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Broken glass in PA State Parks @ the remote picnic area's in the summer and in all the picnic area's from October through 3rd week in December(Hunting Season) is a real problem and it's gotten worse. I have picked green garbage bags full for 30 years with the last 10 years the worst also trash left by my Trout Stream increased. I don't get it either. I had to relocate so I no longer have to worry about it but it did drive me crazy.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
There's someone who lets their dog poop on the sidewalk here. Ew. Worse - they never seem to pick it up, so it's there until someone else does!!! It was really bad during the winter when it would freeze into the snow/ice, especially since the dog often seems to have walking poops. We also often find and remove stray poop on our front yard.

I dont get it - if I forget a bag, and Annie poops, I walk back home, get a bag, walk back.

Offleash dogs? Grr.... I don't mind them as much on hikes, but in town they are usually territorial.

·
Registered
Tuck the Miniature Poodle, May 2021
216 Posts
These are issues in my neighborhood and it drives me up a wall too, especially the off leash dogs. Tuck is nervous around other dogs and we’re working very hard with a trainer to help him build his confidence. When we’re out and a strange dog comes running at him it always sets us back. Half the time then people get cranky at me and say their dog is “just trying to be friendly”. Too bad, you’re the ones breaking the law.
The poop, don’t even get me started. My street I can only walk down side of because the other side is always a minefield of random poop.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
This whole thread is exactly why some people shouldn't have dogs! There are issues in my neighborhood too. There's dog poop around the grounds and on the sidewalk, there's A LOT of flies because most people don't pick up after their dogs, most of the dogs here are mean and under trained and it's just gotten worse over the years. There's also a chocolate Lab that visits every so often from one of the houses behind the apartment complex and isn't very nice and he isn't fixed either. 🤬

·
Registered
329 Posts
My plan it to call animal control on Monday. My older dog has a set walk that she wants to do. We can't do that right now because one neighbor puts their dog in the backyard. The fence doesn't go to the ground so the dog is getting out every day. The dog is huge. If I am with my older dog, he just sniffs her and scares her. The one time I was walking the puppy that direction, he tried it pounce on him.
I don't even bother to try to return it because they usually aren't home. The last time I did, no adult would come to the door. The kid demanded I put my puppy down and grab their dog then threatened to call the police on me. I should have called myself since I think they left small children unattended as well.
At least the idiots down the road stopped leaving their boxer puppy out loose in the front yard. Poor thing is now tied to a tree instead. Their other dog has a shock collar which they leave off most of the time.
The poop is also an no on going issue. The doorbell cameras have helped. People are taking pictures of the offenders and posting on Nextdoor (community social media site in the US).

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Almost all of my neighbors do pick up behind their dogs. All except the young man who leaves little tied poop bags for the rest of us to cart home.

It's the dogs in yards with electric fences that I worry about.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hmm.. where we are, dog are required to be leashes by law except in dog parks, pet cafes (only a handful in the whole country) and in their own homes. They are also not allowed at all into malls, eateries, beaches etc.

But we still have the poop problem in dog parks when owners are too busy looking at their phones and people like me who have poop-loving-dogs have to pick up the slack.

What’s worse here is when people enter the dog parks without ensuring one of the two gates are closed. Our dogs aren’t used to being off leash and I just can’t imagine Whiskey sneaking out of the dog park because someone didn’t lock one of the gates. We just experienced this yesterday at the park. And trust me, the panic I had when I was trying to grab Whiskey who was zipping by in his excitement to go home (ice cream treat before home is a staple), I nearly screamed bloody murder at the family holding the gates open (they were leaving too). The same issue happened when they were coming in and another owner chastised them for leaving both gates opened.

Another pet peeve, not checking on the dog’s health. That same family has a toy poodle who limps, keeping one of his back feet off the ground. I did ask the first time I saw them. The answer was “that’s how she walks since a while ago, we don’t know why”. When I suggested a vet visit, they brushed me off saying it’s a phase. 2 months later, I really doubt it’s a “phase”.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.