Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Over the past few months I have been researching different dog breeds to decide which one's might best fit our family. Yesterday I was able to find a 9 month old rescued Miniature Poodle we named Jack. I was/am SOOO happy that I was able to help a dog who really needed a good home. I was told before I got him that he was quite timid, but not aggressive. So I went and picked him up from his foster home. But now that I have him, I want to figure out how best to take care of and him. So if anyone had any advice or thoughts to help me out, I'd be grateful.

1 What can I do to get his coat in good condition? Right now he looks pretty bad. I gave him a bath last night to clean him up, and got a few mats that were left in his coat and gave him a good brush and blow dry and he did pretty well with all that also. I will take him to be professionally groomed latter in the week, but other than that any other tips?

2 How can I best help him learn NOT to be scared/shy? He will let us touch/ pet him if we have his leash on and we move slowly, but he will not come otherwise. I did have some success bribing him with some left over roasted chicken, but once he realized it was gone, he slid back under the coffee table. We have 6 month old pit/mastiff mix, Zeus, and he was SOOO happy to see he had a new brother but Jack refuses to play in any way, the only response he gave is when Zeus wouldn't give up and Jack kinda snapped at him.

3 How long should I wait to get him neutered? I want to do it sooner rather than later, but I didn't know if it would be good to do it now since we just got him and he isn't really use to us yet. I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow and I'm sure she will have some advice as well, but I'm just curious as to your opinions.

4 We want to get him professional training, should we do it soon or wait for a while for him to get used to us first? We haven't decided whether or not to take him to a class so that he could meet other dogs or if it might be better to have him trained privately here. At least from what I've seen so far is that he pretty much just cowers down when he sees anyone one or anything. I'm stuck between wondering if he'll engage in his training around other dogs and help his socialization if we do it in puppy class, or if he will be more open and relaxed here.

5 What type of supplies do you recommend for between grooming appointments, treats, and things of that nature?

6 How "skinny" is too skinny for a poodle? I know they are suppose to be slinder, but I think Jack is a under fed. I can feel the out lines of his bones through his fur. Should I wait for the vet to reccomend something or is there something I can do for now? I'm really hopping that his lack of nutrients is what is contributing to his seeming lack of energy and not wanting to play. The lady I got him from said his previous owner had been "feeding him some stuff from the Dollar General". I've got Science Diet for my other dog. Any suggestions that might be better for him?

Thanks in Advance!
Chancie

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
1 What can I do to get his coat in good condition? Right now he looks pretty bad. I gave him a bath last night to clean him up, and got a few mats that were left in his coat and gave him a good brush and blow dry and he did pretty well with all that also. I will take him to be professionally groomed latter in the week, but other than that any other tips?
Well, it depends what you mean when you say he looks pretty bad. If it's just a bad grooming job, then taking him to a groomer will help with that, but if Jack has flaky skin, bald patches etc. I would change his diet to a high quality food (gradually of course), and give some coat supplements and see how that works. If there is no improvement and Jack seems to be irritated by dry skin or something, go to the vet and check for allergies or skin conditions.

2 How can I best help him learn NOT to be scared/shy? He will let us touch/ pet him if we have his leash on and we move slowly, but he will not come otherwise. I did have some success bribing him with some left over roasted chicken, but once he realized it was gone, he slid back under the coffee table. We have 6 month old pit/mastiff mix, Zeus, and he was SOOO happy to see he had a new brother but Jack refuses to play in any way, the only response he gave is when Zeus wouldn't give up and Jack kinda snapped at him.
I know it's exciting to have a new member of the family, but Jack is going through a big transition. Give him time, let him initiate contact for the next few days and give him a treat when he does initiate contact. Do not force him into being social, this could cause him to either lash out, or shutdown. Take things slowly, do what you did with the chicken, and limit the time the dogs spend together. When Jack starts to come out of his shell, increase petting sessions, play time, and reduce the amount of treats. You also want to build Jack's confidence, so I would start with teaching him some basic obedience.

3 How long should I wait to get him neutered? I want to do it sooner rather than later, but I didn't know if it would be good to do it now since we just got him and he isn't really use to us yet. I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow and I'm sure she will have some advice as well, but I'm just curious as to your opinions.
I'd give him a bit of time (few weeks) to settle in first, but I would follow whatever your vet recommends.

4 We want to get him professional training, should we do it soon or wait for a while for him to get used to us first? We haven't decided whether or not to take him to a class so that he could meet other dogs or if it might be better to have him trained privately here. At least from what I've seen so far is that he pretty much just cowers down when he sees anyone one or anything. I'm stuck between wondering if he'll engage in his training around other dogs and help his socialization if we do it in puppy class, or if he will be more open and relaxed here.
As I said earlier, build his confidence by teaching him some basic obedience such as sit, stay, lie down, but do this at home for now. Jack still needs time to adjust to a new home and new way of life, so give him time to come out of his shell. Until he can walk down the street, head and tail held up, I would avoid overwhelming him in a training class situation.

5 What type of supplies do you recommend for between grooming appointments, treats, and things of that nature?
Between grooming appointments, depending on how long between them and his cut, make sure to brush out his ears, tail, and legs. I find my poodle gets mats in these areas first. Training treats, I like to use people food like chicken hotdogs, bacon, or cheese. For the occasional "you're such a cutie face" treat, I just give milkbones. Other supplies...well my poodle LOVES to play fetch, so anything that can be thrown and caught is a big yes. He especially loves his ball, which is a Planet Dog Orbee Tuff ball which bounces every which way and can be chomped on. I live in Canada, so we have pretty cold winters. You might want to think about getting Jack a winter jacket if you have cold winters.

6 How "skinny" is too skinny for a poodle? I know they are suppose to be slinder, but I think Jack is a under fed. I can feel the out lines of his bones through his fur. Should I wait for the vet to reccomend something or is there something I can do for now? I'm really hopping that his lack of nutrients is what is contributing to his seeming lack of energy and not wanting to play. The lady I got him from said his previous owner had been "feeding him some stuff from the Dollar General". I've got Science Diet for my other dog. Any suggestions that might be better for him?
Wait to hear what the vet thinks, but you can read this about what to look for in a good dog food with some brands listed here: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html

All the best with your new guy! Just be patient and give him time to warm up to his new family.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Locket pretty much covered most of it, one thing I would like to add would be to pet him under his chin to help build confidence, petting on the top of the head can make him feel as if he is being dominated as well as no not make direct eye contact for awhile, as he will see it as a challange and since he is shy and submissive, he will be more intimidated by you.

The neutering......Ya if he had come from a lagitimate rescuer, he SHOULD have ALREADY been neutered.....NO rescuer that is not just in it for the money would send one of their charges to a new home being unaltered EVER. That being said, I am so glad to hear you took this little guy in and I hope you are able to get him up to par with his health and well being. There are to many homeless animals out there and for even one to find someone who cares as much as you seem to is wonderful. When you take him to the vet, make sure to have him checked for ALL possible parisites, from your story and what you have included in it about the "rescuer" you got him from, you never know what the situation might be with this little guy.

Good luck and PLEASE PICS PICS PICS!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies. I will definatly take your advice to heart! He's actually started to follow me around the house a bit today, so I'm pretty psyched about that!!! I will get some pictures taken later today and post them. I'm soo happy to have my poodle FINALLY I've been wanting one for over a year!!!

Have a Great Day!
Chancie

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think it's great you rescued this little guy. You are asking the right questions and will make a great home for him.

·
Registered
362 Posts
He is cute. Congratulations. The first post says it all. I hope he comes around for you. Do you know anything about his life before? It looks like he must of been shaved all over before, probably because he was one big mat. Get him groomed at least every 6 weeks so he won't get so matted and he can be trimmed in a nice poodle trim. Brush him at least every third day to keep the mats from forming. Good luck with your new poodle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I did hear about his first owner is that she didn't want him "because he's a male and she really wanted a female", that he was "too big" and she was "scared of him". All I could think was "what kind of idiot can't tell a male from a female dog?" I mean come on, it's not like he got a sex-change!

So between that and his actions, I assume that he was handled quite roughly. And from what I was told he was pretty much shaved. there weren't many mats when I got him, but what I did find I clipped off. My plan is to try to brush him as often as he will let me. I'll be glad when I can get him to the groomers. His papers say he's suppose to be white, but looks much more like cream to me. I'm not sure if it's just left over dirt making it appear yellowish or what, but I guess we'll find out.

I just can't wait until he gets comfortable and happy enough to play! It makes me so sad to see him so young and act like an old dog. He did surprise me today though, and jumped up on the couch next to me, he was on the opposite end but I'll take it!

Have a Great Day!
Chancie

·
Registered
843 Posts
Congratulations.
He is a pretty little guy.
Give him time to adjust,he is just confused...once he realizes you love him,feed him etc. he will come around.
Poodles can be fairly scrawny,especially when they are males and young.
Remember it is better for a dog to be slightly underweighed than over.
With good quality food,he will settle in at the right weight.
Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Welcome to the forum, your little guy is a cutie and wait till his hair grow out a bit, he will be beautiful!!!

What kind of dog food are you currently feeding him? Are you planning to feed him all kibble, combination of kibble and caned/home cooked or raw? I usually don't get anything vets recommend, cause vet food isn't the greatest. The vets are wined and dined by food manufacturers since vet school, so their opinons aren't exactly unbiased. Here are a couple of great links to the sites that rate dog food, so you can decide.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

When you decide on the food, change it over slowly, so you won't cause him upset stomach.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I we have been giving Science Diet to my other dog per vet recommendation. After seeing it has pretty bad reviews, my husband and I are going to look into switching to something else. I hadn't really thought too much into the type of food (dry, canned, ext). I had heard that dry food is better for their teeth (not sure if that's true), and we have been giving them that. Also my 5 and 3 year old help take turns helping take care of the dogs by giving them a scoop of food in the morning and in the evening. So for that dry food is easier, but I'm more concerned with what's better than what's easy. Do you have a preference? I'd love to hear what you all would recommend! There are SO many different foods on those lists, I wouldn't even know where to start!

Have a Great Day,
Chancie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts