Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many of you out there in poodle land enjoy the Melanie Travis series by Laurien Berenson?
I just saw this in another thread and I really enjoy these books. Just wondered how many others enjoyed them too.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Laurien Berenson actually owns and shows standard poodles. She is also an author. She writes some really fun mystery type books. The main character is Melanie Travis, a poodle breeder/handler and murder mystery solver. The books often center around dog shows and the show world. They are fun, light, easy reads.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I haven't read them but I read a lot of different things - I'll see if I can find some too.

Mystery Author Laurien Berenson

APAD, do you know if they're episodic or serial - do I need to read them in order for them to make sense? Just wondering...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Each one is fairly self contained, but there is some history that flows throughout. You could pick any one just to try it out.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I read the first book in the series when I was in highschool I think. Got it out of the kennel club';s collection (sombody had donated them). Anyway I never read another one for no reason I can think of. Sort of forgot about them until now. Maybe I should go see if i can find more in the series and read up. :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have every one of them, and I love the series. You should definitely read them in order. A Pedigree to Die For is the first, and there are around 15 of them. Melanie Travis, a single mom of a 3 yr old, and a teacher, is the main character, and her Aunt Peg is a breeder/handler/later to be judge of black spoos. She really does capture the spoo personality and intelligence, and advocates for responsible breeding and caregiving. There's always a murder to solve, and it always has to do with the dog world. One has to do with showing, one with therapy dogs, one with breeding, etc. Humor abounds, they're really just fun. Then of course Sam the hunk comes in, who's a friend of her Aunt Peg's, and he of course has excellent taste in dogs as well, as he also shows standard poodles. They're not like great works of classic literature or anything, but they're really fun, quick reads. I read the series the first time when I was recovering from foot surgery during summer break, and every once in a while I just have to read them again. Sorry if that just sounded like a book report. My 4th graders would be proud. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts