Poodle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When Zekefur was only 15 months, he lost his housemate. She tolerated him extremely well, but never played with him. They would, however, lay on the bed, couch, my bed and lap together. Each quite content. Penny could drag herself to go pee, but couldn’t make it out of the dog room.

While going to the back, Zekefur would walk slowly beside her, matching her pace. When she went to the wee pad, he would stand guard in the doorway. When she was done, he would turn and look at me and yip to come back and get her.

That’s how the last few weeks of her life went. Once she was gone, he became very depressed.in was fine with the fact he’d be my only pet. But as each day went by he slipped on Ed farther into his depression. He started turning down food, and when he would crawl up on my chair, it felt as if he was trying to melt into my heart. He just got worse and worse.

I had to make the decision to get another dog )3wks after Penny died) and I had to do it fast. I found Dory, got her home home and from the second they met we’re best friends. They played for 4 hours straight that night!

I feel like she saved his life, and he breathed new life into her. Recently, as most of you know, she so viciously attacked Zekefur, I had to have her removed from my home. With her gone, he mourned, but he still had Stella.

He and Stella love each other now.

I took her to the vet yesterday, and when I got home, I heard the most horrible gut-wrenching, mournful howls of my Zeke in deep despair. It broke my heart into shattered pieces. I’d never heard anything like it. I called up the stairs to him and simply said “Zeke I’m here”, and he stopped. He was more then ecstatic to see Stella again!

I realized that he was, more than a I knew, the most sensitive dog I’ve ever had. I also realized he just wasn’t cut out to be the only dog. Hopefully he never will be again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,704 Posts
This is why I have a spare heir, my poodles need company

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
the howl of a dog in mourning is indeed gut wrenching. maybe next time you will have to find a way to take zeke with you so he knows you and stella are safe.

Reactions: Vita and jojogal001

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the howl of a dog in mourning is indeed gut wrenching. maybe next time you will have to find a way to take zeke with you so he knows you and stella are safe.

I will from now on. I had to take Stella back to the groomer today so she could fix her face. Zeke went with us. I’ll never leave him home alone again. I just never realized how truly sensitive he is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Poor guy he is sensitive.

Reactions: jojogal001

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have this issue with my dogs and it's horrendous! The only way I can stop the howling from starting is to either take all dogs together OR have someone else at the house to keep the other(s) busy.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Awwww....the poor baby. I would do the same thing as you. It's just heart wrenching. And to think there are people who short dogs on their emotions and sensitivity. You're a good doggie mom. :love2:

Reactions: jojogal001

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have this issue with my dogs and it's horrendous! The only way I can stop the howling from starting is to either take all dogs together OR have someone else at the house to keep the other(s) busy.

Yes,it can be horrendous. My housekeeper takes my dogs to the groomer, which they don’t go at the same time, and when Stella leaves, even though imhere, Zeke gets depressed and will only lay in my lap or at the front door waiting.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awwww....the poor baby. I would do the same thing as you. It's just heart wrenching. And to think there are people who short dogs on their emotions and sensitivity. You're a good doggie mom. :love2:

PB, Thamk you. I try to be as good,of a doggie mom as I can. And so many people actually think that dogs don’t have emotions. That is so sad!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.