1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Oh, my! Truth be told, I wish I could follow a regimen that strict! He does make a lot of good points, but it's just not practical for everyone.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
I don’t see this as a guideline to aspire to..... I didn’t get past colloidal silver. OMG. That’s toxic. Why would anyone feed that to their dog or take it themselves. This is a list of what NOT to do.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/colloidalsilver

I’ve seen someone with argyria in the hospital. No one looks healthy with a bluish-gray discoloration of their skin. And it’s often permanent.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Wow, just wow! That is mostly a list of...yep, what not to do.

Alcohol is toxic to dogs as is a lot of that other stuff. Holy moly. What do these people know anyhow? Of course flea medications are chemicals and not great at all. But neither are fleas!

Some of that stuff is really out there. I don't like over vaccinating and some of the stuff mentioned has a point. But it's mostly all carried too far. Extremists are hardly ever on track. Yikes!:argh:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Colloidal silver is used all the time by holistic vets. And the amount of beer is so small, a dog would not be harmed.

Just trying to look at both sides, because the toxins in the flea medication I give my dogs are not any better than the things on this list.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Not trusting Guinness Beer for heartworm treatment in TX.
Recently was in O'Flaherty's pub in Dublin. Learned that Guinness will cure anything. Even better was my sample of Tullamore Dew.

This was an excursion from a Viking cruise - we learned an easy Irish dance, learned how to pull a pint, and had a wonderful time.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,516 Posts
Boggle! Frankly I think this is the sort of OTT, anecdote based woo that gives the phrase "holistic medicine" a bad reputation.

I have an alternative suggestion:

Create a large non-reactive bubble. Place self and puppy inside and do not emerge for 15 years.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Oh my goodness, so many quotable gems here! Beer for Worms! Anecdose-based Woo! Haha

Johanna, love those pictures. What a wonderful trip that must have been. Little did you know you were giving yourself a worm treatment! Write it off as a medical expense :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don’t see this as a guideline to aspire to..... I didn’t get past colloidal silver. OMG. That’s toxic. Why would anyone feed that to their dog or take it themselves. This is a list of what NOT to do.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/colloidalsilver

I’ve seen someone with argyria in the hospital. No one looks healthy with a bluish-gray discoloration of their skin. And it’s often permanent.

Actually while it is correct that if you consume enough or if your internal organs aren't functioning correctly that Colloidal Silver can turn you blue & do harm... it is not toxic if it's made & used properly. I am neither blue nor have I died from it. Silver has been used as far back as Roman times. The soldiers carried a silver coin on them. If they began to fill illness creeping up, they put it in their mouth. They found the silver did the trick & often times it arrested the illness. When the problem happened was when they started minting their coins with stuff other than silver & it poisoned their soldiers.

Click forward to modern times. Everything on that list can be used (including the Guiness ;) ) PROVIDED you use common sense & understand what you're using & how to properly use it. Back in the day my grandparents & great grands used tobacco to deworm the horses & mules (not the stuff you buy today but the tobacco they grew). I make my own Collodial Silver. I have a machine & I buy the purest silver you can get. Mine is a micro particle CS machine. If you are out mowing the lawn & get hit in the eye with something, your dog gets something in the eye (3-4 drops of C.Silver in it). I use it in a netty pott to flush out my nose. It can be used on skin, eyes, & yes taken internally. I get a scratchy throat I will take a shot glass of the stuff morning & night. I have used C.Silver to deal with fungal, viral, & bacterial issues to include stopping staph infection in a dog who had fought it for over a year. Two 10 day rounds of C.Silver & he never had it again the rest of his life. It will also make a mess out of mersa & skin eating bacteria.

I have never had a dog, horse, or wild animal that I have treated with it over the years suffer any problems. A good many of folks who have argyria have it because they overused C.Silver or their internal organs were compromised & their bodies weren't flushing out the excess. I have read instances where some of these folks have consumed it by the quart or in some instances by the gallon & then some were using large particle, or if they're using (heaven forbid) batteries & coins to charge the water with silver... it's a wonder they're even alive.

I came to the world of herbalism & holistic due to my dog who modern medicine was making far worse & he was dying. I got to have him & he lived comfortably for over a year after I crossed that bridge. Every animal & human who has come to me for help has benefited from that early level.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Holy Tomoly! Just read the most off-the-wall thing ever! I can only take 'Holistic' to a point then it becomes just too weird for me Hahaha!!!

This popped up on my FB ................

The complete version (how to) is at

https://facebook.com/notes/chihuahua-health-and-wellness/advanced-fifteen-15-step-plan/493634070792395/
Hahaha! Agree with you. Somehow I managed to raise 3 kids and even more dogs over the past 50+ years without following these protocols and didn't kill any of them. But that anti-faxxer crap just makes me see red, for both kids and animals. My uncle died of diphtheria at age 6 BECAúSE vaccination was not available. Millions of $ and researcher hours have gone into making vaccines a safe alternative to the 40 percent death toll for children under age 5 that was the norm in my grandma's day. And dogs were routinely shot for incurable diseases.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Not quite sure about the Beer thing... do you feed it to the dog, pour it on their food, pour it over the dog orrrrrrr does the human drink it and hope that any worms just go away??????

Inquiring minds want to know! This whole list is just tooooo much!

·
Registered
314 Posts
My last dog was a collie, so I had to be careful with meds. I used black walnut hull tincture for heart worms (kills other parasites as well). I think the additives in water referred to things not naturally found in water, like chloramine.

·
Super Moderator
3,381 Posts
I find some items on the list incredible but I'd be scared to try them, but at the same time, it's fascinating to me that some of our members have and do, with success. Kudos to them for being brave enough to tell about it.

In particular, I did some googling about using pharma meds for heartworm positive dogs with it vs. the Guinness Black Draught beer, and some folks swear that the beer cured their dogs and the test reverted to negative. Med treatment is so expensive and without a 100% cure, so if my poodles ever turned up positive, I'd try that first.

People Home Remedies, aka Holistic/Homeopathic

There are so many home remedies from the past that worked, that I'm hesitant to dismiss anyone using particular ones successfully. Big Pharma's bottom line is to profit and not lose $$$ from the research, and they aggressively promote and lobby for their products.

In my 20s, I injured my back from a bad belly flop in the pool. I didn't see a doctor for this, thinking it would heal on its own. A few weeks later it was still bothering me. I saw a masseuse shop at the Mall and thought a massage would feel nice. The guy this did weird thing that intially scared the heck out of me when I felt/heard some creaking noise, then suddenly all pain was gone. Forever. It turns out he was licensed chiropractor from his home country. Nowadays opioids have been promoted for back pain, when some folks might be cured by an old fashion chiropractor.

Long ago when I had a dentist appointment, the dentist tried to sell me a product to aid in healing. It was expensive. I asked him if swishing warm salt water in my mouth would work just as well. He hesitated, then said yes. I laughed. He laughed too and said not many people know about it anymore.

Another time I had a toenail fungal infection. The doctor said oral medication for this affects all of the body and would need to be taken for months, and it was kind of hard on the system. He suggested first trying daily soaking it in vinegar and water. Problem gone.

And when I was a kid, whenever I'd catch a nasty cold, my mother had me take a hot bath at night then rub Vics Vapor Rub all over my throat, chest and back, and nose, and have me gargle in salt water, then bundle me up for bed. We could always tell when a kid was sick at my school b/c they smelled like Vics. It worked then and now for common colds that didn't involve strep throat or ear infections. In hindsight, the colds might have gone away just as fast using Vics, OTC drugs, or none at all.

The least effective home remedy that everybody seemed to use in my area was putting Coco butter on minor burns, such as when you nick your finger on a hot pan or stove, where it would later develop a clear fluid under the skin and might bust. I learned that immediately running cool water over it for several minutes or using a soft cold pack (only for very minor burns) almost always avoids this.

At age 12, however, I once had a major food splatter grease burn where the skin peeled right off when I grabbed my hand in pain. It was a terrifying sight. The ER nurse had me soak my hand ice water for an hour. It was miserable, but when the skin grew back, the skin was initially white then the pigmentation filled in gradually, and there was no scar whatsoever.

I'd like to hear/read more from our members about old remedies they use that work for their dogs.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Vita, I was a very conventional person when it came to vet care. My parents were breeders. I sat through so many classes as a young child (Mom didn't do babysitters & they went to seminars on canine health, breeding, genetics, etc..). When I started school my teachers thought I was making up words until Mom made them write down a list of all my "made up" words & when she came to review with them, she had them get a dictionary & then had to explain all the vet terms. Everything about the dog has fascinated me from childhood. So I was a very by-the-book person on vet care. ((Enter stage right the problem that would make a change)) I had a dog that I spent 10+ years searching for, saw dogs in person, on video, etc... from over 250 breeders. I found his breeder who sold him to me on payments, lol. This dog was as close to perfect: working temperament, work ethic, physical ability, intelligence, learning capacity, etc... except his immune system was broken badly. I reckeon the good Lord & Boss-dog drug me kicking & screaming into this bizarre world of natural remedies, homeopathics, herbal, etc... Man it has been a ride.

I have a whole host of things that I use as preventative care. Once a month I take flat leaf parsley, break it up, & put it in the water buckets & bowls. The goodies from the parsley leach into the water (just like human flavored waters) & it helps with anything to do with bladder/kidneys. Then sometimes I'll take a big bunch of flat leafed parsley & no sodium chicken broth. Throw it in my vitamix & make a sludge. I put a spoon of that on all dogs food until its all gone. (It does the same thing... all things urinary).

Once a month I put a couple of shot glasses of colloidal silver in the outdoor water buckets. My chickens drink out of it as do my dogs. Chickens can carry coccidia & I'm sure other things. My neighbor has to give her dog a medicine that is quite hard on the dog's body. The reason? Her dogs & chickens drink from the same water from time to time. She was stunned that my dogs never have it. Why? Because I drop the C.Silver into the water & never have any problems. (BTW have someone get ahold of food that might have been bad or they start having tummy trouble reasons unknown... a shot glass of C.Silver. Ask our Grandson. He got bad gas station food. After a few trips to the bathroom I caught him & handed him a shot glass. He took it... stopped the problem just like that & he was able to have fun with us the rest of the weekend).

Boss-dog had trouble with a cough. The vet thought it was his heart but after checking it proved not to be. The person who got me started on this stuff told me, "not his heart... his liver is getting overloaded with toxins". Solution... carrot salad. Yes, I know. Sounds crazy. Finely grated carrots for a week, at the end of the week you do a flush with clay & oil. Stopped the coughing by the 3rd day of carrots. I had to cheat with him & do half shredded, half babyfood carrots but it worked. Bless him, he ate whatever I put in his bowl. Anytime he would cough... carrot salad (works for humans & animals). ((If I knew then what I know now... I would have given him a detox bath)).

Most folks know about pumpkin: constipation or dihrea Pure pumpkin puree does the trick.

I do use diotomatious earth FOOD GRADE only. I find out when the full moon is. I start 4 days prior to the full moon. I take some sort of wet stuff (raw egg, canned dog food, hamburger, etc...) & put the DE in there. Worms are more active during a full moon in all animals & humans. I use the DE 4 times per year myself. I've done this for years & am still here. I put it in juice for myself. I alternate between that & traditional dewormer.

I also use garlic with my dogs but again you MUST use common sense. I'm not giving a table spoon per day to a Chihuahua. A small amount based on dog size once per week or every other week.

I'm going to do some research on the Guinness. I don't care too much what vets 'believe' vs what the medical tests show. What are the results? When my vet challenged me over my raw feeding, I made a deal with him. Run all the blood work, the tests he wanted. If he could show me where the dogs were deficient, where they were lacking in health or had problems. I would pay for all the tests & go back to kibble however, if I was right he paid for all the tests & it was free rabies shots for the whole crew. I can't say the dogs enjoyed our winnings except I did buy them some special meat as a treat for their humoring Mom throughout the whole deal ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,381 Posts
Dogsavvy, I am cautious by nature when it comes to any kind of medication whether it's pills or homeopathic, but I'm happy for you that what you did for your dog worked for you. Having an extremely ill dog is traumatic when the problem has no effective solution. In these cases people naturally look for alternative options, from getting a 2nd or 3rd vet opinion to trying homeopathic remedies.

I have little experience with homeopathy beyond a few home remedies I wrote about in the earlier post, but did some reading about what others say about it. Conclusion: people either nix it altogether saying there's no proof, or they say the results were the placebo effect or anecdotal, while others say it worked for them and swear by it. In this regard it's like a debate about the best religion, political party, or best breed of dog. You're either singing on key with the choir or not.

I understand why you became a proponent of homeopathy after traditional veterinary medicine failed while the other worked. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't mention that I worry about your personal use of Colloidal Silver, and I hope it continues to be safe for you. I hope you don't find my concern for your health and long term use of CS offensive.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Naw, Vita, I don't find your concern offensive at all. One of my best friends has been using it for 30 years or better & she's extremely healthy. My last blood work was thumbs up from the doctor in December. I had to have my gallbladder out in December. Had a complete checkup & all is well. I also like to use food as medicine when possible for human & animal. That's always the best first option when possible.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I remember a few things........Bay leaf tea for colicky babies (gripe water)
Warm olive oil in ear for earaches ( I had a lot of these as
a kid!)
A poultice of raw tomatoes heated up and used draw boils
to a head (my Mom did this to me when I was teen and it
did work...I have a huge scar to prove it!)
Honey & whiskey for soothing a sore throat
And of course..... Chicken soup for colds and flu! (My
Mom alway boiled dumplings on top in case we had an
appetite LOL!)

DOGSAVVY.............My Dad used garlic on his dogs for flea control.......

Reactions: dogsavvy
1 - 20 of 22 Posts