Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Teddy has this problem that whenever someone comes to our home, he jumps all over the place (including on them and the furniture) and thankfully he's a little tiny guy because he jumps so high he could hurt someone! My boyfriend thinks its funny when he comes to my parents house, but I think we really need to stop it. I don't know what else to do, because we have tried the clicker/treat approach, the leash approach and I don't know what else to do. He's a mpoo and I don't know what to do with him! :eek:hwell:

Thank you!!
Teddy's Momma

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I'd keep him on a leash or have your leash near the door so you can snap it on him. Teach him to do a sit stay and make him stay like that on lead until you release him but not until he's calm. Don't let anyone give him any praise or recognition that comes through your door until he's calm and ready to go up and approach in a calm way. Use the command "off" because down is a different comman. I hear clicker training is really good. I've never tried it but have been tempted with my Harry.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd keep him on a leash or have your leash near the door so you can snap it on him. Teach him to do a sit stay and make him stay like that on lead until you release him but not until he's calm. Don't let anyone give him any praise or recognition that comes through your door until he's calm and ready to go up and approach in a calm way. Use the command "off" because down is a different comman. I hear clicker training is really good. I've never tried it but have been tempted with my Harry.
The clicker does work, but you have to make sure that you do it CORRECTLY. My mother used it wrong, she clicked when he was doing something wrong....which is the WRONG thing to do. You're supposed to click so he remembers what he's doing when he gets a treat. I think I'm going to try again with him because I'm just tired of it. Thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The clicker does work, but you have to make sure that you do it CORRECTLY. My mother used it wrong, she clicked when he was doing something wrong....which is the WRONG thing to do. You're supposed to click so he remembers what he's doing when he gets a treat. I think I'm going to try again with him because I'm just tired of it. Thanks for your suggestion.
Do you watch Ceasar Milan? He has a website. Go there and see if he's got ideas for that type of behavior. It's common in poodles. Even my standard will do it and I just have to intervene because you are right someone could get hurt. I don't allow that behavior because it's bad behavior in my eyes. If he does it he gets corrected with an off and if he doesn't listen he doesn't get to stay and visit company.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
So Teddy has this problem that whenever someone comes to our home, he jumps all over the place (including on them and the furniture) and thankfully he's a little tiny guy because he jumps so high he could hurt someone! My boyfriend thinks its funny when he comes to my parents house, but I think we really need to stop it. I don't know what else to do, because we have tried the clicker/treat approach, the leash approach and I don't know what else to do. He's a mpoo and I don't know what to do with him! :eek:hwell:

Thank you!!
Teddy's Momma
There is great video on You Tube about it (part1 and 2) here is the link :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKltnrHsnrg&NR=1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts