Poodle Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,132 Posts
fjm I agree that it is easier to manage an "up" dog than a shy or fearful one completely. Javelin has a very "forward" personality and he does test my limits lots, but he will never do anything slowly or looking miderable at it.

As to the Monks of New Skete, I have read a couple of their books and enjoyed them as well written and meaningful, but I do hope that anyone who reads some of their older material knows very clearly that they no longer endorse the methods like the alpha role espoused in The Art of Raising a Puppy. They have been convinced by evidence that training based on dominance hierarchies is not necessary nor desirable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I just thought I'd post an update on how we're doing over here now that Mephi is just over a year old. Maybe if someone like me finds this thread, it will be comforting.

He's definitely still very high energy but he has gotten much much better... notably, way more calm inside the house. We still don't trust him out of his room when we're not in the house with him -- he still likes to do his 'rounds' and get into everything. However, he will actually lay on the floor and sleep now when he's out of his room, which we couldn't have ever imagined a few months ago. It used to be he would only sleep or sit down if we put him in his room.

As for the jumping and biting on walks, that's definitely gotten much better. It has been a lot of work, though. My husband and I marvel at all the people who just go on walks with their dogs and basically ignore the dog and look at their phone because we still both go out on every walk (the two long ones per day not the out and pee breaks) and have to train his attention the whole time. For the routes he's used to, he's calm for the most part. We do 'look at me' basically the whole walk still but he's quite good at it now so follows along spontaneously looking up at us a lot of the time. He's still a strange strange dog who is picky with treats and rejects the ones he doesn't like more often than not and gets tired of others he used to like after a day. So we're always trying to change up treats to see what he'll actually take. On walks, he usually ignores adult humans now, unless they're doing something unusual. He even started ignoring children who jump and skip and run, which is huge. Dogs remain a problem so we mostly just avoid any dog we might see on the horizon and hope he hasn't clocked them yet.

It seems he's definitely a 'reactive' dog in terms of excitement (not so much that he's aggressive or fearful) and it's a leash issue. When he's off leash in the dog park he doesn't try to jump up on anybody... the most he will do is just go up and lick their hand. When we try to meet people when he's on leash, he wants to jump up on them in such an over-excited way even dog lovers can't really handle it. So usually I don't let him say hi to people when he's on leash.

There have been a couple times when we change up the routine or people are doing exciting stuff that he does the jumping and biting on walks still but we can usually get him to sit straight away or we throw a treat away from us and he goes and gets it. When there are dogs around, there's no way he'll even look at me. We go to a massive dog park that is its own little island, which that he loves because it's the only place where he can really run since we're not allowed to have dogs off leash in this country. But I laugh because the other dogs all just follow their owners around the island while playing. Mephi runs off and does not care where I am. I could leave and he wouldn't even notice or care. So I spend a lot of time following him around this island instead of him following me. Eventually I need to figure out how to get him to listen to me when there are dogs around. Otherwise, he has pretty good recall but the presence of other dogs means he's effectively deaf to me.

TL;DR it got better at 1 year - he's not a calm dog and still has a lot of training challenges and requires a lot of extra attention, but he's no longer mauling us every day on walks! The vast majority of routine walks are totally calm and fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all!

I've been lurking on this forum for a while but haven't posted. I have a teenage standard poodle - 10 months old now. Since about 7 months, he's been doing this thing on walks where he "attacks" us. It's fairly clear it's rough play and not really angry/aggressive. But something will set him off - seeing another dog, a person running, a bike, etc. - and then he will get over-excited and turn on us and start growling, jumping, and biting. It usually takes a good 15-20 minutes to calm him down, meanwhile all the people walking by are staring at me while I'm mauled by my dog. Since he's now 26 kg (57 lbs) and uses the full force of his jaw, it really hurts. I'm covered in bruises. Ignoring him isn't an option because of course he's actually doing damage.

This is my first dog ever... has anyone ever experienced this? Will it go away with age? Is there some training method I can use with him to get him to stop? In general, he has no chill when he sees other dogs or something exciting. I'm so jealous of other people with 10 month old dogs who can just calmly pass by a bike or a child without going crazy.

Any advice appreciated - we're at our wits end with him!

EDIT: should have mentioned here are things we have tried -- we took him to two obedience courses where he was hyped up and couldn't focus the whole time bc other dogs were there. We did one on one with a trainer who gave mental stimulation exercises (some of which, like dog parkour actual set him off sometimes). We also took him to puppy preschool where they tried to work at desensitizing him to other dogs (they said he's exceptionally difficult compared to other dogs), but he now goes to regular dog daycare once a week and is kept in a separate room and walked separately bc he has no chill. And I'm now trying the pigs fly training method because he's not very motivated by treats or toys.
Si
Hello all!

I've been lurking on this forum for a while but haven't posted. I have a teenage standard poodle - 10 months old now. Since about 7 months, he's been doing this thing on walks where he "attacks" us. It's fairly clear it's rough play and not really angry/aggressive. But something will set him off - seeing another dog, a person running, a bike, etc. - and then he will get over-excited and turn on us and start growling, jumping, and biting. It usually takes a good 15-20 minutes to calm him down, meanwhile all the people walking by are staring at me while I'm mauled by my dog. Since he's now 26 kg (57 lbs) and uses the full force of his jaw, it really hurts. I'm covered in bruises. Ignoring him isn't an option because of course he's actually doing damage.

This is my first dog ever... has anyone ever experienced this? Will it go away with age? Is there some training method I can use with him to get him to stop? In general, he has no chill when he sees other dogs or something exciting. I'm so jealous of other people with 10 month old dogs who can just calmly pass by a bike or a child without going crazy.

EDIT: should have mentioned here are things we have tried -- we took him to two obedience courses where he was hyped up and couldn't focus the whole time bc other dogs were there. We did one on one with a trainer who gave mental stimulation exercises (some of which, like dog parkour actual set him off sometimes). We also took him to puppy preschool where they tried to work at desensitizing him to other dogs (they said he's exceptionally difficult compared to other dogs), but he now goes to regular dog daycare once a week and is kept in a separate room and walked separately bc he has no chill. And I'm now trying the pigs fly training method because he's not very motivated by treats or toys.
i came Ro the forum today because
Hello all!

i came to the forum today, because we have the same jumping biting issue with our 5 month old stpoodle.
He’s been in training for two months now, and is definitely making progress with most behaviors, but very concerned about him making us on walks.
Curious if your dog has improved since you posted this six months ago, and if so what do you feel has helped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Si

i came Ro the forum today because

i came to the forum today, because we have the same jumping biting issue with our 5 month old stpoodle.
He’s been in training for two months now, and is definitely making progress with most behaviors, but very concerned about him making us on walks.
Curious if your dog has improved since you posted this six months ago, and if so what do you feel has helped.
hi there! I feel your pain! Oh those were some dark days last summer! Our Mephi made us cry almost daily 😰

I’m happy to report that he’s a totally different dog at almost 1.5 years old. I remember when we were struggling with him at 7 months old, a trainer said “oh he’ll be a good dog at 2 years” and we were absolutely horrified - 2 years??? We need to put up with this for another year and a half?

It happened very gradually that he got better and calmer. First he settled in the house - he used to be very busy all the time getting into things or wanting to play but now he really just sleeps 90% of the time while we’re inside. He still does what we call “jumpy bitey” once in a while on walks if something triggers him - usually another dog. Most of the time we can get him to sit or distract him away from what’s exciting him. He also knows that sitting gets him whatever he wants so having an ironclad sit command helped a lot. Also remaining absolutely calm ourselves - paying attention to your own body language. We also practiced “look at me” every single walk (4 times a day) the whole walk so that he now instinctively looks when people or motorcycles or bikes pass. Dogs still are a big trigger and nothing on this earth will get him to ignore them. So we try to avoid meeting other dogs while on walks when possible.

I really hate to say it but all the people who told me last year it just takes time were right. Training did not do it so much as just him growing up. He still has his moments but all in all the angelic, good behavior outweighs the tantrums. We constantly marvel at how much better things are now. It started getting better from a year old and has only improved.

Good luck - I know how frustrating it can be! We were at our wits end but glad we soldiered through bc we really love our problem child despite his faults haha

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Wonderful update and your training did pay off. As an adult, I still regularly apply what I learned in kindergarten to my everyday life, even if it didn’t seem to be sticking at the time. :)
😆 thanks! Sometimes it doesn’t feel like we did much 🙈😁

61 - 66 of 66 Posts