Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I have a big problem with my spoo. He's jumping my fence. He's 12 months old and huge about 75lbs and black. He doesn't look like a puppy anymore. It's only people who are walking their dogs. Any dog it doesn't matter I know he wants to play but the people walking thier 6lb dashound don't.
Yesterday I had him jump over circle a couple with a small dog and then run back to me and in gate I got him inside and the police were in the park(right behind my house) came speeding up to the people to ask if the were ok. I heard that part but my neighbors head him ask if they wanted to press charges! :rolffleyes: They said no he didn't do anything. (I live in a small town and the police have nothing to do)
My husband wants to put in a higher fence which I think is againt city ordinence because all the houses have the same back fence. We live on a park and lake. So the other option is an invisible fence but he feels that is inhumane. I don't know how I feel about it. My friend thinks he's young enough to train to stay back. Just wondering other people advice on the matter.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I guess my first advice would be, to not let him out in your yard unsupervised or untethered, meaning, you stay out there with him on the leash. When he gets the urge to jump, give him a collar pop and a firm NO. My one dog was a fence escaper, she would shimmy under the chain link to get out. So, she never went outside unsupervised into the yard again. A 75 lb dog could, presumably, knock someone over, especially a child or elderly, so you really don't want to have to deal with that, do you?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I suggest if you are not out there with him, you place him on a tie out that will NOT reach the fence. You have limited options in this situation.

Training is key - how is his behavior otherwise?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've been to puppy kindergarden. We're working on not pulling on the leash but he's not bad. He knows sit, down, high five, come (if there is no dog/squiral) Leave it, is ok drop it's, good (when playing ball) We make him sit or lay down before throwing the ball/toy so that he's working ofr it. He's not allow on furniture he not allowed in the kitchen when I'm cooking eating or cleaning and i only have to tell him once to stay on the 'carpet' in the family room which he does. Doesn't knock over my small kids plays well with them. He's pretty laid back and not highly strung at all EXCEPT when there are other dogs. He's not an alpha dog we have a play date everyday with the lab next door she's the alpha he follows her He's more intrested in playing with her than me (which I'm working on) or ball. I think part of the problem is I have socialized him well taken him to the dog park pet co been around and played with small kids taken him to other houses with no problem my only problem is jumping to go see other dogs. he doesn't even jump on people JUST THE STINKING FENCE!

To the pp no i dont want him knocking over people that is why I'm trying to find the best possible solution. =)

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
When I was a kid, we briefly owned a purebred boxer named "Charger." He would jump the 7 ft block wall in our backyard like an Olympic athlete on steroids. Just spring straight up like a rocket. My dad added a foot to the wall. Charger jumped that, too. Eventually, he jumped the wall, ran into the street, and was hit by a car. My mother heard scratching at the door, opened it, and there sat Charger. He must have been quite a sight. Poor dog had cuts and abrasions all over and had lost one eye. After he healed, he was adopted by what I now understand must have been a boxer rescue. Mom told me that when the couple came to pick him up, the woman kissed Charger right on his empty socket. He went to live on a big farm, with lots of friends to play with and room to run and jump, so I guess the story had a happy ending.

Funny, this happened at least 40 years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I'm glad that so far, Beau won't even jump up on the bed.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
He probably needs more exercise to burn off the energy. If he was tired he might not want to jump a fence. I'd teach the no jumping up by having treats in front of you and if he doesn't have four feet on the floor he doesn't get a treat but as soon as he puts all 4 feet on the floor treat. You have to sort of move around and make sure you have his undivided attention. Then you could have someone go to the other side of the fence and if he keeps all 4 feet on the ground, treat. If he jumps up, give a correction. 4 feet on the ground, treat, movement or jumping correction.

I also wanted to say that if a dog doesn't know something is wrong or bad they don't know not to do it. They are like 2 year olds, they get into and try everything because it's something to do and they get a reward out of it (like getting to meet someone new). If you aren't there to stop the behavior and teach that it's wrong and show what's right, he won't know any better.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I would install a higher fence if city allows it and they do sometimes give permit for special circumstance. Also, in some cities putting a "lattice" on top of the fence is allowed without a permit. It can be as 1,5 feet high or more.

If that is not possible, I would install invisible fencing - it is more humane for a dog to get a tiny "zap" once or twice ( I am sure that poodle will learn VERY fast ) than being hit by a car or something horrible like that. :rolffleyes:

I am not sure that training would correct it :rolffleyes:- it is just too big of a temptation for a dog that LOVES to do it. Same as it is impossible to train a dog
to be alone and not eat a meat left out in the kitchen LOL.

Wishing you the best of luck !

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I would install a higher fence if city allows it and they do sometimes give permit for special circumstance. Also, in some cities putting a "lattice" on top of the fence is allowed without a permit. It can be as 1,5 feet high or more.

If that is not possible, I would install invisible fencing - it is more humane for a dog to get a tiny "zap" once or twice ( I am sure that poodle will learn VERY fast ) than being hit by a car or something horrible like that. :rolffleyes:

I am not sure that training would correct it :rolffleyes:- it is just too big of a temptation for a dog that LOVES to do it. Same as it is impossible to train a dog

Oh come on wishpoo!;) If Victoria Stillwell can train a dog that bites the mailman and to train dogs not to jump up on people out of their excitement, you can train a dog not to jump on a fence. This is a poodle we are talking about, they need boundaries and clear instructions, and supervision if they are misbehaving. A 12 month old is still a puppy so you are dealing with a very young mind and it needs supervision if this is how it's behaving when out of sight.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yeah I'm kind of thinking the training would be great but it's hard to break his focus.
I'm waiting for the city building guy to call me back he's out till the 13th and city hall doesn't know...but if I was to install the extentions without a permit I'm sure they would issue a citation. (sp?) Wonderful small town for ya!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh come on wishpoo!;) If Victoria Stillwell can train a dog that bites the mailman and to train dogs not to jump up on people out of their excitement, you can train a dog not to jump on a fence. This is a poodle we are talking about, they need boundaries and clear instructions, and supervision if they are misbehaving. A 12 month old is still a puppy so you are dealing with a very young mind and it needs supervision if this is how it's behaving when out of sight.
I haven't let him out without me for the past week sense the jumping is happening regularly. I was sitting on my patio knitting while he jumped yesterday...I was yelling like white trash for him not to. I had enough time to tell the people 'he's harmless but he's going to jump' When I said jump he jumped went ran around them once and went back in the gate. I took his face in my face and said 'NO JUMP" then took him in my house.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yeah I'm kind of thinking the training would be great but it's hard to break his focus.
I'm waiting for the city building guy to call me back he's out till the 13th and city hall doesn't know...but if I was to install the extentions without a permit I'm sure they would issue a citation. (sp?) Wonderful small town for ya!
There are a lot of articles out there about how to achieve good focus from your dog, just look them up.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Eh...tell me about it !!! I can not even trim my oak without asking for a permit and one can only dream about cutting down ANY tree on the property :doh:.

Also, I can not make a patio without a permit LMAO - they have to measure "ratio" between permeable and non-permeable surface on the property :wacko:!!!!! Never mind that I have 12,000 sq feet property LOL.

Anyways ... city needs to make a money somehow, I guess, so we have to pay for permits LOL Soon I will need a permit to pull out the weeds !!!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup I told my husband and he was like soon we'll be showing papers every time you leave the house.
To get in our public school you have to jump through hoops which I have done. Had an exchange student say to me 'land of the free, what freedom?'

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
LOL :)- well... I am not saying it is absolutely impossible LOL, but it is little bit different than "biting and jumping on people, I think :rolffleyes:

I saw a couple of "jumpers" in my life (not poodles though...) and they do it for the shear fun of it !!! It gives them some sort of "high" LOL - same as some kids do those crazy stunts on skateboards and areal skiing.

Hey - maybe he just needs to be put in agility training : )))) !!! He will "jump" his heart out and maybe find a fence "too boring" after that LOL

Jen LOL - I think we live in the same city LMAO

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to do agilty but can't until 18mos...
Just checked your in Cali I'm in iowa maybe their are sister cities LOL!

Last month my trash cans were not properly placed. There is a house not far from mine that has 'traffic' in and out all the time. Maybe if I were more like them the city would leave me alone! I only volunteer at girl scout and the school help with clean up days and such so I guess I'm a good target to get out of the city.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well, with raising the fence, more than likely he's gonna start climbing instead of just jumping up to the top and over. It just sounds like he needs more exercise. What's his exercise regime?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the mornings from about 8;45 till 10:30 he has a playdate with a lab. I sit outside and watch them. Then he pretty much sleeps. Then at 5 the lab comes back (there is a dog door between mine and the next door house that the lab uses) I go back OUTSIDE and sit. It's during this time other people walk their dogs that he's jumping mainly. There has been 2 times he will just jump and stand outside the gate very proud of himself. A couple of times a week I will take him out and bike with him.

Honestly the dog is great any other way just the fence.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
LMAO - you seeeee - he is doing it just for the fun of it !!! Climbing will not interest him LMAO !!!! How about you make a small course for "just jumping "in your yard LOL , smaller hight "obstacles" but 3 in a row and have him jump back and forth like little "horse" :) I am not sure if it is OK for a year old spoo to do those though *sigh :rolffleyes:

Oh - I do not volunteer for anything !!! My CA tax and property tax are so HUUUUGE that I refuse to move my little finger !!!!! :fish:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I could probly build something real easy with that white pipe stuff. Do you think this will reinforce the jumping the fence tho?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I do not think so :rolffleyes:... It would be just "redirected" activity - same as with pooping, I would think, - NO pooping in the home - YES pooping outside :rolffleyes: etc. When he jumps the fence scold him and than take him to his "play course" and say "Jump !!!" Same as they teach "Speak" and "No speak".

BUT - I guess only time will tell ...If he finds people surprised on the "other side" amusing LOL, than it would be a problem. But , you said he sometimes just jumps "to jump" , even when nobody is out - so my hope is that just the act of jumping is thrilling for him :rolffleyes:

Well.. at the end, keeping him on the long leash with a "correction" collar and training him that way to "not jump" could also possibly work. You just need to try things and see what will work the best for you and him.

In the meantime, I would still ask for that permit and have that "invisible fence" kept as an option also ! ; )

1 - 20 of 40 Posts