Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poodle Judging Ring

Everybody, transform yourself into an amateur (or professional!) Poodle Judge and have a go at my poodle!

Or, post pictures of your poo, and have your fellow forum friends compare it to the Poodle Standard to the best of their ability.

Beware: To the sensitive poo owner, only post some pics if you're not afraid of criticism. Some poodles have better confirmation than others, even though every single one of them is extremely beautiful in their own special way. This is just for fun. Don't get frazzled!

So, without further ado, let's welcome contestant #1: Dana, the standard poodle! Dana just turned 8 months old and is a spayed female.

Dana is owned by Salukie who, try as she might, could not get Dana to stack properly. This is the best that she could come up with. Try to disregard the fact that Dana is standing funny and that her tail is firmly clamped to her but! LOL! And please excuse the bracelets and the topknot, they need scissored! (Oh, and please excuse Dr. House in the background. LOL)

Now, here are the points that jump out at me:

Head: Perfect! LOL! (Please, do correct me if I'm wrong!)

Neck: EWE NECK! That's not Dana's fur, that's her actual neck sticking out like that.

Back: It looks sway in the first pics but that's just the way she stands on the grooming table. GAH! It's better in the after groom pics. Actually, when she's just walking around, it always looks slightly roached.

Chest: Good I think.

Front legs: Good, I also think.

Shoulder: I have no idea. I can't tell a straight front from a properly angled one. If someone has a good eye for this, please educate me!

Back legs: Okay, something is going on here. I'll admit she's standing a little funny on the table but even on the floor, she never has her back feet any further back than that. I've tried stacking her properly but she seems really uncomfortable with her back feet slightly back of the point of her but. She always wants to: either bring her back feet forwards, or bring her front feet back. I'm thinking her stifle angle might be a bit too straight? Or is it in her hips? Her but also wags from side to side when she walks... ?

Feet: Perfect!

Tail: Set low and docked VERY short!!

Coat: Pretty good for a puppy coat!

So, what does everyone else think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I agree with everthing. I have 2 comments. I love the black nose and pigment. I see no angulation on the rear (the back of the back legs.

This is an interesting thread that can last months. I hope to learn a lot.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Lol - feet were the first thing I looked at too!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, I want to learn more too. I am searching for my camera now to take a picture of Polar Bear. Getting ready for work now. So it will be awhile before I can post a pic. As you can see I am very partical to white poodles too. Thank you for starting this thread.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What a neat idea. I would love to get comments on Jager. I'm having some pictures taken tomorrow, so I will post them next week.

Dana does have awesome feet!

Can someone explain "ewe neck" to me?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Here's what I think, but then it's very hard to say without getting hands on the dog and just looking at her, she's a very lovely young girl :)

Yes, Ewe neck. Shoulder lay back in a little bit off, making her shoulders a bit to far forward and her front legs a bit to Straight up into her forechest. The back leg... with the pom's on the back legs, it's hard to say, but from the angle of her back feet (setting back on the pad), I'd say she's sickle hocked and when you said she wiggles back and forth when she walks, that's another good indicator. Also another reason why she won't stack correctly. Sickle hocked means that the heel bone (hock) bows (for lack of a better description) slightly in and makes the foot set more under the leg. It also makes the dogs gait less graceful (hard to describe), but it looks like the way a GSD moves in the rear and less flowing like a poodle. She looks a bit out of square and on the long side for her height.

As for tail set, well, she's a clamper, so you can't tell from the picture. A good rule of thumb for tail set is... the tail should be set half way from the hip bones to the point of the rump and should come off the body straight.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lets see......this example may have an extreme case of rubber neck disease and possibly some sort of liver problem! I sure hope you are not planning on breeding her....however you could probably sell her to a doodle breeder who would be happy to use her in their breeding program!

LOL!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Lets see......this example may have an extreme case of rubber neck disease and possibly some sort of liver problem! I sure hope you are not planning on breeding her....however you could probably sell her to a doodle breeder who would be happy to use her in their breeding program!

LOL!
:O
Note the huge orange flowers...wouldn't those look amazing on a puppy -scours the earth for a male to compliment her-

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Flowery poodles - the next big thing! And congratulations on accepting the dare!

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Okay I am joining! Judge Millie, please! :)

(I tried to stack her, but didn't do a very impressive job. Her color looks weird in the first picture too. Not the best camera..)

*She has a curled tail and often carries it over her back - I know that is a major fault. But - surprisingly in these photos she is holding it pretty well.

I think her tail could be set a bit low as well?

Ready..GO!

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Millie is adorable. I am not an expert by any means, the only critique I notice is that her tail is set a little low. I still think she is pretty much cute brown perfection:)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'm obviously no expert, so I can't really notice any faults on Millie other than the low tail set either lol. She looks really good to me!! :) Nice and square, balanced. IDK, that's just my amateur opinion.

gosh but I also want to point out how cute she looks stacked up on that table. I just want to squeeze her! :) haha

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Millie is a pretty color. I do not like the haircut on her entire back half because it makes he body look so boxy. Her back is like a box because her back legs fall straight down. I think much of it is not her body conformation, but her plain jane hair cut. Her tail is low, but not terriblt and nothing that a big pom set on a nicely angulated rump wouldn't deceieve the eye.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Millie is a pretty color. I do not like the haircut on her entire back half because it makes he body look so boxy. Her back is like a box because her back legs fall straight down. I think much of it is not her body conformation, but her plain jane hair cut. Her tail is low, but not terriblt and nothing that a big pom set on a nicely angulated rump wouldn't deceieve the eye.
P2P I would love hair cut suggestions for next time? We are working on growing out the tail pom!!! I can't wait until she has a big pom!!!!!

I wanted the groomer to leave more hair on her..but she took off a little more than I wanted.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, I agree, a bit more flair put into her grooming and it'd improve the boxy bum look! LOL!!!! She is very cute though!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I think Millie would look ADORABLE in a puppy lion clip! I agree her tail set is low and the clip is not flattering on her, but her feet are nice and tight, she has good angles and nice head. She even has a chin! You would be surprised how many spoos out there that you see without much of a chin....GREAT job on her nails as well, they are a perfect length!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts