Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 year old Maltese/poodle mix, Jasper, is recovering from a torn ligament. After many, many months of recovery and going the no surgery route (as recommended by the vet, and it worked due to his size), the vet gave the go ahead to start walking him. He is doing much better, but his life of jumping on and off furniture has ended. He also continues to struggle to stand up and get going. Today the vet recommended Dasuquin for joint health. I don't have a very positive human perspective on supplements in terms of helpfulness. Of course Dasuquin is the number one recommended joint supplement for dogs according to the package...but are these supplements truly helpful?

Anyone have a perspective to share?

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
I know people who have had excellent results using YuMove in the UK - I met one dog I know well a few days after he started taking it and he was transformed!

Reactions: Dogs4Life

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Dasuquin has glucosamine and chondroitin which are both definitely recommended for joint health. I would have no issue giving these and I have given Dasuquin to dogs in the past. Currently I opt to give these supplements in natural form by feeding green lipped mussels and poultry feet, though my pup is young right now and doesn't actually need them as much as he may when he is older. If you are not in favor of artificial supplements, green lipped mussels are a great natural option that you can get raw, dried, or powdered, and they'll provide the same benefit while also being rich in other good stuff like omega 3s.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You might want to look at Vitamin C as well. I have used it with sick dogs and arthritis. C reduces inflammation, and is needed for the body to use calcium. it's just a nice supplement for any ailment. There is not a standard for dosing, by my vet said for a 20 pound dog 1/8 teaspoon once or twice a day is not too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts