Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 463 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks Axeldog! I was recommended to to that dumbbell work as the first activity for each of my training sessions when I was with Deb early in the week. He was hungry, so prey drive was easy to generate yesterday when I worked on it at my club.

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have been really lucky that the trainer who has helped me make such great progress with Lily for utility has had a cancellation that I could take almost every week this summer. We are making progress by leaps and bounds. Even when I have to go back to my regular fall class schedule at the college I should still be able to take a lesson with her on a catch as catch can basis. Also so much of what she has shown me with Lily will apply to moving Javelin forward too, even without one on one time with Deb. He has great drive and movement and is going to be a lovely working dog, as his big sister is!

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Thank you! I use "Yes" because I did not want to use a clicker
I am going to try your words "Good" and "Oops or Uh-oh" as well, no treat but to do again

It is good to know it is OK not to give a treat to Toby the first time always...
I felt Toby was wrong on purpose at times also!! Little stinker! haha

It is awesome watching you work with Javelin from the sidelines.

appreciate it!!!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I find it easier to mark a good behavior with a word rather than a click since you always have your voice at hand, but not always a clicker. Also as you can see sometimes I have my hands full. Be consistent with that three word system and you will be amazed at how fast they catch on.

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I took Javelin to the trials this weekend with just a rally novice entry for him on Saturday. It is a big show with four rings running at the same time. He has never worked at such a noisy venue as this one and it showed. He lost his head when he saw a GR in the next ring. I couldn't get him to refocus so I asked to be excused.

I did work with him in the practice rings and we worked on focus, leave it and his dumbbell holds. He did very well with most of it, but his distractability is something we will have to work hard on.

Javelin's biggest accomplishment this weekend was passing the Canine Good Citizen test on Sunday morning. It was no small success after all of the time he spent patiently waiting around in his crate.

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
GR = Golden Retriever

Yes, I am very pleased about the CGC.

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Catherine it's so interesting to read what you go through with your spoos. It sounds like alot of work and competition.
Focus- I've never even thought about that one. How do you go about working on that?

It is a lot of work, but then again not work because it is doing stuff with my dogs, and how can that really be viewed as work? Most especially you have to remember that all of this work makes us have a better human to dog relationship and also makes the management of a multi-dog household easier.

I have to get ready to go teach, but I will take my tablet and hopefully I can get my desk assistant to make some videos that will show how you work on focus.

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Axeldog you can use tug for impulse control but also as a way to get focus. If you tuck the tug toy into the shoulder area on your left side it will be about at the spot you want him to look with just a bit of it showing. Practice heeling and once he has really shown focus and ignored distractions you can pull it out to play with him as a reward for the focus.

Javelin and I took a private this morning. It went very well. He is a diamond in the rough still but I am really starting to see signs of a great working dog shining through.

We started on having Javelin retrieve the dumbbell. It is still tied on the string, but rather than having him follow after it and pick it up when it goes dead I am having him stand at my side while I hold his collar. I show him the dumbbell and throw it into a corner and send him to it. When he takes it I run away so he has to move with it. We are also doing take, hold and give so that he remembers he has to give it to me when I tell him to do so.

We are going to use a sit platform to teach him wait and stay. I just finished assembling the platform so we spent some time getting him used to being on it. He will be able to learn how to hold a nice tight sit using the platform along with teaching him the wait and stay. He still needs work to get used to being on it, but he was already better on it by the time we finished than when we started.

Heeling is improving by leaps and bounds. He is learning to keep in eye contact with me without forging. I am finding a good pace for moving with him to keep him interested. Heeling with him will end up being an aerobic workout for me I think. Since he is bigger than Lily his stride is longer than what I am used to with her. I will have to pay attention to which one of them I have with me and adjust accordingly.

I have a bunch of things to do for homework and I hope I can get a few more lessons in during August to move my foundations further along before going back to teaching in September.

·
Registered
522 Posts
What do mean by a sit platforms? My trainer has recommended a u-shaped form out of PVC to use to teach her to sit straight on recall each time. I haven't got it made yet. My son and his family were visiting the past two weeks and it has gotten me behind where I hoped to be by now. Also, the oppressive heat and humidity keep me inside too much!! She is very on and off lately so I am getting nervous.

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Congrats to Javy on his CGC!
What do mean by a sit platforms? My trainer has recommended a u-shaped form out of PVC to use to teach her to sit straight on recall each time. I haven't got it made yet. My son and his family were visiting the past two weeks and it has gotten me behind where I hoped to be by now. Also, the oppressive heat and humidity keep me inside too much!! She is very on and off lately so I am getting nervous.

Raven's Mom the sit platform is for teaching stays and the pvc thing is for fronts. I do have both of them, although I never had problems with Lily's stays so I just made the one I put together for Javelin. I will take pictures of them in a little while and add them here.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Axeldog you can use tug for impulse control but also as a way to get focus. If you tuck the tug toy into the shoulder area on your left side it will be about at the spot you want him to look with just a bit of it showing. Practice heeling and once he has really shown focus and ignored distractions you can pull it out to play with him as a reward for the focus.

I actually discovered this a couple days ago! We went to the little park near our house to work on a bit of heeling. I had his fabulous "Made in NY, Javelin-approved" tug with me. At first I was using cheese to reward, then switched to the tug and it worked so much better. I tucked it under my arm like you said, and it works really well!

I was looking at those platforms for training - it looks like a really good tool for getting precise sits.

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I am so glad that Axel is loving his tug toy!

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Here is the sit platform on my kitchen floor. My floor tiles are 12" x 12" so you can get an idea of the size. It is about 12" wide. The top is cut from the rubber mat tiles used on playgrounds and in play rooms. The middle layer that gives the height is flower foam. I put non skid rug backing on the bottom so it won't move even when used on my floors at home. You could make a platform that would serve the same purpose just by using the play mats with two layers of them taped or glued together. For a start though I want Javelin to really feel when he is on vs. off it and that is why I made it relatively high.

position platform.jpg

Javelin is still getting used to using this item since I just finished adding some length to it on Sunday evening. I didn't need more length for sits, but I did for stands for him. Once he really learns his position on it his front feet will be just in from the front edge. Since I added the length it will be good for sit stays, drops and stand stays.

J on platform.jpg

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Here is my front and finish box that is sized for Javelin even though it is Lily who was the subject for the pictures. She is not in correct front or finish positions in these pictures since the box isn't really set for her and I wasn't really training. She knows correct front and finish without the box. I would not have allowed Javelin to sit in the wrong place at this point since he is still learning where to be.

front and finish box.jpg

Lily front box.jpg

Lily finish box.jpg

You can make one half this by using a second 45 degree elbow in the place of the cross piece in the middle and use it either in front of you for fronts or next to you for finishes. I did not glue any of the pieces together. I can use shorter cross arms to make it narrower for Lily by having it easy to take apart (which also makes it easier to put away.

41 - 60 of 463 Posts