Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks everyone for your help and support for our first show yesterday, I truly appreciated it all!

We had a GREAT time. It was an early day, we were up by 4a.m. and left at 5:30a.m. We arrived at the show almost 3 hours early. I thought the extra time would give Jasper enough time to settle in and wear out a bit.

I knew several of the people showing Poodles which was VERY nice. Everyone was extremely helpful. They helped me figure out getting numbers and gave pointers as I was putting up Jasper's topknot. It was very sweet and their help was really invaluable.

I have to say that our experience at the indoor show didn't do much to prepare us for this one! The grooming tent was incredibly close quarters. In the waiting area before going into the ring we were really piled in on top of each other. Overall Jasper was very well behaved, especially when considering he was nearly always pushed up against another person or dog!

There weren't any other dogs entered in our class, so we won LOL. I had a little trouble getting Jasper stacked at first. I think had there been other dogs in the class he'd have gone into "show mode" a little faster. Once settled in he did nicely.

After 6-9 months we went up against Julie and Eli, and they won so we took Reserve. We were pretty happy about that as Eli needed those points to finish his CH... which means Julie is free to take Jasper out the first weekend in June :D. Jasper was a bit bouncier because he was excited to see Julie (and Eli!) in the ring with us. He adores her.

I made a zillion mistakes, but we had a lot of fun. It was also a great learning experience for both of us. Granted it wasn't very competitive, but it was the perfect situation for our first time out. Additionally the Judge was wonderful, she was so patient and nice. I plan to continue going to handling class each week, and we'll keep practicing until we get it right :).

Here are a couple videos and photos from the day. Unfortunately I didn't have much time for photography. Sorry for the very distant video, Jasper would have been distracted had he gotten any closer to shoot us in the ring. Think Jas could have wagged that tail more?! LOL, silly dog!

Here's Jasper in the grooming tent:

LOL his nose isn't really crooked, he was mid-movement!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Awesome. It looked fun. Only seconds in the ring after all the prep, huh? You both looked great! Congrats on a successful first show experience!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. It looked fun. Only seconds in the ring after all the prep, huh? You both looked great! Congrats on a successful first show experience!
Thank you :). All that prep time and then over before you know it LOL. As a reward for being good for so long, Jas got an orange and then we let him roll/play in the sand for a while. He was a happy sandy dog!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh my goodness - isn't he just STUNNING or what !!!!! Look at that face :beauty: , jeeezzz *sigh ..." picture perfect" !!!!! Oh boy, I am soooo happy for you LOL - and I am glad I "nudged" you mercilessly to do it LOL. :)

He is so natural in that ring with no special training and of course you did fantastic job for a first time yourself !!!! Your suit is VERY elegant - perfect choice !!!!!

I watched videos "full screen" on the 62 inch TV LMAO - so you were not "distant" to me , he he heee : ))))) !!!! I felt like sitting in the first raw and cheering you guys !!!!:target:

Thanks for posting and wishing you both even more "funner" weekends and new wins : ))) !!!! He might be finished as a puppy with such correct confirmation and nice gait : ))) !!!!! I can only imagine how happy and proud you are and you should be :first:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much 4theLOVEofPOODLES and wish :)!

Too bad there's not a place on the show registration form for "nudger extraordinaire" :D.

I was very proud of Jas! I thought he did really well for being 6.5 months old. He's incredibly smart, and full of personality, which is what usually gets him into trouble LOL.

In the first video during the free stack, you can see how he went into it soooo nicely when I said "show". More impressive was that he actually kept that stack despite my klutzy moving around :doh:.

BTW I carry bait with me, but don't actually use it anymore. I probably should have the last round with Eli and Julie to get him focused in on me a bit better. He has a bad habit though... he is convinced there are crumbs on the ground after each bite. His little nose goes from hand to ground so quickly! Toys get him too excited.

Anyhow I was really pleased with Mr. Jas. We're going to work on leash manners, he's a bit of a brute, so will focus heavily on that for the next couple of weeks. The next show will be here before we know it!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
He looks great! You could totally finish him yourself out in our area. Nice reach and drive. Suit looks great too!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Congrats You gouys looked great in the ring. I also think you can finish with him as owner handler :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much everyone!

Jasper is a natural. Stacking, especially free stacking, just comes naturally to him. He sets himself up so wonderfully in a free stack. I also have to constantly remind myself to really look at him when hand stacking, most of the time he's walked into it nicely on his own.

We'll see how I do going forward. Next weekend Jas will be with the handler. After that I'll show him until he's 9 months old and then re-evaluate. If doing okay I'll continue on my own. I actually hope that I do get better at it, it's really a lot of fun.

As for clothes... I couldn't believe how some of the women handlers were dressed. (not Poodles) Let's just say that tank tops, and poor supporting bras, are not flattering when running even if you had the perfect shape!!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
What a precocious puppy! Jasper and you looked great and so professional! I saw some pretty awful handler's outfits last weekend as well--midriff tops (even if partially concealed by a jacket) and belly rolls when bending over are not appealing. I can't believe how some women dress.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, amerique!

I'm always amazed by what people wear. One woman had on the shortest pinstripe skirt I've ever seen. Your husband/boyfriend/girlfriend might like seeing absolutely everything when you bend over to fluff your little terrier, but please spare the rest of us! I always tease that I want one of those magic mirrors that tells me I look great no matter what I put on :D. Anyhow, a few of the outfits were just shocking given the venue.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Jasper looked great, you looked great!

I have also seen some crazy get ups at shows.
heck, I have worn some crazy get ups LOL ( I thought that I NEEDED to wear a fuscia blazer for instance LMAO)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts