Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After discovering Jake had a retained testicle (and as we wasnt going to stud him), we were advised to have him castrated. So on Monday he had the chop, poor boy!! :shocked:

When I picked him up after the op, the vet told me that the testicle had been attached to his kidney and the surgery had been quite difficult. Now 2 days on he's doing ok. However, he had a poop on the mon afternoon when I got him home, but hasnt had one since. Is this normal or should I be getting worried yet??

Also any thoughts on the whole retained testicle thing?? Why does this happen?

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is he eating normally?
Is he leaving the incision alone? It's not weeping or stinky is it?
He's eating okay, and the incision looks okay, its just him not going for a poop that im most worried about.

He seems fine overall (he's trying to kill a broom in the garden as we speak)!!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
He's probably fine, but I'd still call the vet and let them know what's going on. :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Wow, I didn't know they could be attached to organs like that! I knew they could become cancerous if not removed, though. Bailey had one, but I knew nothing of it, til after he was neutered. Aren't you glad you got him neutered, it sounds like it could've become very serious!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
The vet may be able to recommend something to eat to help him out a bit....poor guy might start getting cramps

·
Registered
897 Posts
Have you tried feeding him maybe a tsp. of pumpkin daily (the real stuff, not pie filling)? It's good for digestion-both constipation and controlling diahrea. I'm guessing on the dose - for my boxer, it's a TBSP., and he weighs around 58 pounds.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies everyone,

I rang the vet this morning, and i now have an appointment in an hour, i had a closer look at the stitch and it looks like the stitching may of started to come undone, and he has like 2 lumps growing out of the wound, he had a poop this morning, but something isnt quite right with him. will keep you posted.

btw harley chik, im soooo glad i got him done when i did!!!! :rockon:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Sometimes they get these little bumps at the top and bottom of the incision line, that can be from a little allergic reaction to the knots of the internal sutures. No biggie, but I am glad you are having him looked at. :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Most of the time what people think is constipation is diarrhea 'on empty'.

Pumpkin is the great equalizer, though...for either problem. I love the stuff!
That and plain yogurt are great for dogs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im definatly going to try the pumpkin. Vet gave Jake antibiotics and some stuff to clean the icky bit, he said its just a little infected, hes got to go back on monday for another checkup. Bless!! He's getting lots of love from his mum and dad so im sure he'l be okay :love:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts