Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These two little porkers are my new fosters. I didn't get any before pictures but they were so darned cute after a good bath and a little face and butt trim I had to post these. It wasn't easy getting them to stay far enough way from me to get any good ones. They are about 3 or 4 years old and are so sweet. They are only 12 inches tall but weigh 22 pounds each!

Jack has the most adorable thing that he does with his ear. He can make it stand straight out. I just love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I do sometimes call Jackson Jack and he comes to that name. But Jack and Jill have always lived together and will probably (hopefully) be adopted out together so I do want to continue using his name.

I've never had obese dogs before. How much should I be feeding them? I certainly want them to lose 5 or 10 pounds but I don't want to starve them. Should I feed them the amount that a normal 12 pound mini gets or should I give them a little more (since they are very obviously used to lots more)? Is 12 pounds too skinny? At what rate should they be losing? I will be getting green beans as that's been recommended here before.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I'd ask a vet because I have no idea how to get dogs to lose weight unless you control what and how much they are eating and exercise the heck out of them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Love the ear thing. Tsuki did that as a pup and I taped her ear (yes.. mean mom here LOL) and let all the hair grow to keep it down. But it'll still go up and stick out sideways!

For loosing weight... I'd start off with giving the amount of kibble it says on the food you are feeding. Cut that amount back with about 1/3 and replace with green beans. They will feel full, but not have the extra calories. I would also start using something else if you are giving treats (ie training or whatever). Itty bitty pieces or *normal* treats, or you can also replace with more green beans and carrots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts