Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in South FL we've got Marine Toads. These buggers are poisonous to our 4 legged kids. From what I've heard a few years ago some kids died from licking them. They thought they could get high.

There has got to be some way to keep them away from my yard. I don't want anything happening to my kids & I'm sick & tired of doing "toad checks" every night & every morning before I let them out.

Any suggestions, opinions... anything???

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Honestly I have no idea. Here in Australia we have poisoinous ones called cane toads. They come on a boat from some country and now they are all over one state and trying to get across the boarders into other states.

They have killed many dogs that do eat them :(

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Wow that's terrible.
We have some VERY LOUD ones in the backyard which is kinda crazy since we get snow!!

The only way I can think is to fence the entire yard and use the small 1/2" mesh fence and burry it atleast 1/2ft into the ground... and then have it go up like 3ft above ground.

·
Registered
182 Posts
..a thought....

...maybe there's a way to train the dogs to view the toads as untouchable? I'm pretty sure my dogs wouldn't have much interest in a toad, but I don't think a Std would be hard to train to recognize them as poison.
I keep my guys out of poison oak when we're walking in the hills here, by just saying "poison oak". They come right back to the trail. In 13 years with Alex, I've never gotten poison oak from him. I think if the dog saw a toad, and checked it out... *sniff?* and you made a Very Loud Noise, such as yelling "TOAD"!!! at the top of your lungs, bang a pot at the same time or something, they might train pretty fast.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose loves to hunker down low and creep up to things he's not sure about!! Then he pokes them with his nose... the other day I caught him with a dead bird in his mouth.. then again they were bread for that so that might be different than eating a toad!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts