Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background:
We feed blue buffalo. We selected that food when we got Jazz. I was looking for something I could feed to Jazz AND the tibbies and blue is what Wonder would eat LoL. The three adults and Mister are getting lamb and rice. Jazz was eating good 'ol pedigree when we adopted her and whew did she have mountains of poo and gas! The blue cleared that right up and she has done really well skin and coat made a drastic change and the gas disapeared. Wonderful.

Now fastforward to when we got Saleen. I was a little shocked that saleen was sent home from the breeder's with a bag of puppy chow, which went into the trash the very next day. Saleen too has moutains of soft to loose stool. We switched her with no transition straight to Blue. We had loose stool for two days, which was expected, and then on and off again for almost a month. The vet found nothing in a fecal but I wormed her again anyway, Which seemed to help?? When she was put on antibiotics for a UTI the problem stopped entirely which would suggest there was something going on in that tummy of hers.

Ok, now to present day and the issue at hand. All three tibbies and Jazz are perfectly fine good poo no gas. Beanie on the hand.... Whew... Gas central has a leak!!! Bleh. Whats worse is that it's not even quiet gas. To be fair it's a lot better than when we first brought her home but dang a couple times a day she can clear a room. I have a 45 min drive to and from work with her in the car. I often find myself in a panic looking into the backseat thinking she had an accident. Gross to say the least.

So anyone have a solution? With each meal she gets a dose of solid gold seameal with prozyme and a canberry tablet one week on and one week off. I am contemplating another food switch for the poodles so I can put the tibbies back on Solid gold. Cost of a new food is not a huge issue but is a consideration with how much saleen eats as a growing puppy. She eats a little more than double what Jazz does and still keeps her girlish figure, she quite lean.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
WOW WP, I wish I could help, I have tried the blue, wellness, proplan, royal canin, and bil-jac and I like the blue best, no gas that I have noticed, slightly fishy breath after eating, but you know those good ol' omega fatties it has. Someone else had mentioned charchole biscuts? Not sure who, but they said they helped with the gas.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Honestly....it is tough to know what to do.

Mine were on Nutro and everyone everywhere scared me about it and I tried transitioning them to Natural Balance Lamb and brown rice and the poo got messier. I tried Wellness and it was messier.

Only the darn, much maligned and scared of Nutro makes the poo compact and non smelly.

Sheesh.

I am low on food right now (combo Nutro and Natural Balance) and wondering what the heck to do myself!!!!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I am the charcoal cookie lady.
Gunther used to have awful gas,as most spoos do.due to their sensitive digestive systems.
The cookies cleared that right up.
They also help to settle their stomach...no more digestive concerts coming up.
They did the trick for us.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Does Blue have potato in it? That seems to be what caused Murphy's gas. We used to feed Orijen but she had terrible gas and her tummy would look swollen. I switched to Horizon Legacy which is nearly the same but it uses pea starch instead of potato and she hasn't had gas since.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Mine were on Nutro and everyone everywhere scared me about it and I tried transitioning them to Natural Balance Lamb and brown rice and the poo got messier. I tried Wellness and it was messier.

Only the darn, much maligned and scared of Nutro makes the poo compact and non smelly.

Sheesh.

I am low on food right now (combo Nutro and Natural Balance) and wondering what the heck to do myself!!!!
I switched from the food I was using to Natural Balance and my poodles also got gassy and had loose stools. I had read that that can happen sometimes and just sick to it, give it a good month, so I did. I mixed their food, decreasing the mixture very slowly till they were on Natural Balance alone. There stools did finally settle to nice smaller hard stools and no gas. I, too, had thought of changing their food again at first, but am glad I waited it out as this food is working excellent with them. So, maybe you might want to keep at it for a little longer and keep slowly switching them, or if they are already switched, give them time to let the new food settle. If you switch to another new one, you will have to take the time again to get their bodies used to another new food.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Now I am also feeding cooked meats and vegies, yogurt, brewers yeast w/garlic, fish and eggs, no starches though, like potatoes or rice. My sister and I went fishing a couple days ago and caught a dozen trout so I boiled up the heads and innards and they LOVED this!!! I have noticed a change in their coats, the color is richer and their coats and nails are growing faster and their coats overall looks better.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Wonderpup, wish I had some good advice to give you. I don't feed blue buffalo but have heard nothing but good things about it from people who do use it. I hope someone has some ideas to share with you about this. I know how awful it is when you have a dog "letting them rip" that just peels the wallpaper off the walls!!! I had a doberman back 25 years ago that used to do it, NOT as ofter as your girl (thank God!) but, WOW, when she did, it was enough to make your hair curl, the wallpaper fall off the walls and your eyes water. :faint2: I remember her passing gas so loudly that she would jump up and look at her butt as if she couldn't figure out what that sound was... used to make us laugh so hard to see her expression of shock and confussion....LOL. It was especially funny when she would be sitting down and let one rip. You would hear her pass gas and she'd jump up like she had gotten stung by a bee and turn her head and stare at her behind like some else had down something to her and she was trying to see what it was. :pound: We would laugh but also say.. "Oh, Star!" because we knew in a few seconds we would smell it and whewww.... :dizzy:

Good luck with finding "the cure".... I am sure all in the house will be happy.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does Blue have potato in it? That seems to be what caused Murphy's gas. We used to feed Orijen but she had terrible gas and her tummy would look swollen. I switched to Horizon Legacy which is nearly the same but it uses pea starch instead of potato and she hasn't had gas since.
I looked up the ingredient list on the blue buffalo website and yes it does contain whole potatoe as the 7th ingredient and whole sweet potatoes as the 13th ingredient. Did you happen to find anything written that would lead you to guess potatoe was the problem or did do that on your own? I love little research projects lol and since it's raining here and I can't plant all my wonderful new plants I don't have anything better to do than to research stuff on the net. ROFL - It'll keep my busy and quite so I don't frustrate my hubby any further today. I made him take me out to our local plant paradise and I tromped around the nursery in the rain for an hour this afternoon. He is less than thrilled.. OOPS. Let us hope that Saleen doesn't have another gas attack for at least a couple of hours. I think if she gased him at the moment it might drive him over the edge :faint:

·
Registered
546 Posts
whoooaaa WP, that sounds brutal!

I recently started to transition Snoops from royal canin puppy to halo spots stew chicken adult. i don't think it's agreeing with him. his poop is so soft and he has gas as well. tho, he is on antibiotics cuz he had allergies (hives that got infected). the vet said it was a flea allergy, but i wonder still if it was the food... hmmm?

last night i switched him back to his puppy food only and he seems to be doing better with his itching and bowels/gas.

do you think maybe you are giving Beanie too many different things, that her tummy can't deal with? Between the dose of solid gold seameal with prozyme and a cranberry tablet one week on and one week off and feed change.. is that too much? I'm no expert at all.. but maybe Beanie's food just needs to be simplified somehow?

I know that when I take my cranberry tablets, greens plus capsules, and acidophilus pills - it makes my tummy topsy turvy as well. If it does it to me, it will most certainly do so in our pets as well, right?
good luck with it!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose eats Blue Buffalo rice and chicken ( I believe that's the type), and he gets bad gas sometimes, and other times none at all. I think it has to do with how active he is before or after he eats. Because, like I said it's not constant or predictable really. It could be a very small amount of activity, not even noticeable I think. The same is true for his poops, 99% they are perfect doggy poops other times they are too soft and are mountains.

He loves his buffalo, and we try not to let his farts bother us but they can be clear the room bad.

Maybe this one is more active?

·
Registered
646 Posts
If she is fine on the food other then gas just try a spoonfull of plain yogurt. Not sweetened with sweetner.
Ever have a mastiff pass gass in a room. Worked for him and he had a bad stomache for most foods.
( why do I get all the weird dogs that can't just eat dog food and be done with it)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Teddy clears the room no matter what he eats. I have found that if I give him some plain organic yogurt -Stoneyfield- the gas stops.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I had a doberman back 25 years ago that used to do it, NOT as ofter as your girl (thank God!) but, WOW, when she did, it was enough to make your hair curl, the wallpaper fall off the walls and your eyes water. :faint2: I remember her passing gas so loudly that she would jump up and look at her butt as if she couldn't figure out what that sound was... used to make us laugh so hard to see her expression of shock and confussion....LOL. It was especially funny when she would be sitting down and let one rip. You would hear her pass gas and she'd jump up like she had gotten stung by a bee and turn her head and stare at her behind like some else had down something to her and she was trying to see what it was. :pound: We would laugh but also say.. "Oh, Star!" because we knew in a few seconds we would smell it and whewww.... :dizzy:
:rofl: Do I ever remember that!!!! I used to sit in your living room and watch the wallpaper melt!!! LOL It was enough to make us sick.

I have only one slightly gassy dog and it is Taffy. She is on the same food that Billy is on but for some reason, every now and then, she will pass gas that moves my husband right out of the room. It's the sneaky, silent type that just hits you out of nowhere. LOL Thank goodness it happens only occasionally and really isn't a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts