Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Poppy's heat is over, but as I've never been through this I may be wrong. I think she stopped somtime Tuesday eveining and I haven't found any blood since then. The main things I am basing this on is the pad in her panties is clean, she sleeps in her kennel without panies on and has had blood in her tail hair each morning but the last two and I have wiped her numerous times within the last 36 hours and found nothing.

So, is she safe? Or do I still need to keep her under lock and key and if so for how much longer?

thanks, I really appreciate all the wisdom you all are willing to share with me!!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I only dealt with one girl in heat and hers lasted about 45 days!! Longer then average. But the average time frame they say is 21 days, but its best to give 7 days after the bleeding has stopped. (I might do more - being overly scared!)

Glad she's through that!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I only dealt with one girl in heat and hers lasted about 45 days!! Longer then average. But the average time frame they say is 21 days, but its best to give 7 days after the bleeding has stopped. (I might do more - being overly scared!)

Glad she's through that!

I am in agreement with Olie. Taffy is also coming to the end of her second heat. The average is 21 days. She seems to go a bit longer! It's really not worth the end results if she is one of those with a longer cycle.
She was caught at the real end of her's and we had to endure an entire false pregnancy (two months of hell) before knowing she was not actually pregnant.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gosh Ollie, I think 45 days would put me over the edge. If I noticed Poppy on her first day of heat, Tuesday would have been 18 days. I guess what I'm understanding is that just to be on the safe side I should give her an extra week or so just to make sure she is out of the woods. Better safe than sorry! She is getting to run in the fenced yard under supervision, but we have not went walking or on any outings and I had been getting her out at least once per week to the park or petstore and walking some in the evenings. Oh well, we'll start getting out again next week, as long as she doesn't start again.

The person at our vet who schedules the surgeries is out this week and will be calling me next week. Do you think sheduling her for her spay the middle of June would be ok, pending the heat is over?

thanks for the info

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
june should be fine i would think :)

i sometimes send my girls to "grandma's house fo two weeks or so if i'm having trouble with the boys and keeping them seperate. wonder is comming in, i've been keeping an eye on her. i feel lucky that i really only have to worry about it with her for two weeks instead of three. 45 days would kill me !! hahaha.

not looking forward to Saleen's next heat but I can't spay her just now -bummer. Wish I had done it as a puppy now. She was in heat most of December, what timing lol. She wore a pair of my hubby's old boxers around with her tail sticking out the hole. It was really funny looking but effective lol.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yep, Aoki was awful - she kept very clean pretty much on her own. I called the Vet and everything lol......it seemed forever.

Mine are all fixed now!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd have to say your not out of the woods yet. I think they are super fertile right after the bleeding stops. My cousins male mini is coming to stay with me for a couple of weeks because her female came into heat and hasn't been fixed yet. She's not taking any chances. and I think he's coming for her last week of bleeding and week after bleeding. eww gross.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
wonderpup- just curious, but why can't you spay Saleen?
B/c We have a ton of lab bills that weren't totally covered for us and we are having to make payments on. I stopped working back in October for the rest of my pregnancy and have yet to go back to work. I kind of racked up quite the tab with my three times a week visits and ultrasounds and testing. Yay for pregnancy complications :rolffleyes: Then a c-section that we didn't budget for but maybe should have.
I elected btw not to spay as a young puppy because I felt like it would be better for her to wait until she had stopped growing and was more mature. Had I known I was going to find myself expecting 3 mo after getting her I might have changed that opinion?

Mostly I am not looking forward to the additional mess, she was a bit messy last time and a spoo in heat is a world apart from a little tibetan spaniel which is the breed I breed and show. Other than the larger mess issue she wasn't difficult. She never even offer to "stand" for Howie when he sniffed her through the gate. Wonder on the other hand is at this very moment standing and flagging :eek:hwell: hooker! Guess it's about time to pull them apart. I've been in dog in heat hell for a while now actually. All three tibbie girls have been in one right after the other, Wonder is the last. Love how they wait until one is just about finished before the next one goes. The two younger girls are still actively showing and Wonder is on hold until I decide if I want to continue to show her as a special or not (after her hair grows back... I just shaved it all off.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'd have to say your not out of the woods yet. I think they are super fertile right after the bleeding stops. My cousins male mini is coming to stay with me for a couple of weeks because her female came into heat and hasn't been fixed yet. She's not taking any chances. and I think he's coming for her last week of bleeding and week after bleeding. eww gross.
Well that would be a new one to me...

In my experience, and somebody else's may be different, It's unusual for a dog to be fertile after the bleeding stops. At least it is with all the ones I've ever dealt with. Once they aren't bleeding they aren't in heat anymore and go home (refering to girls coming in to visit Howie). Sure it's possible that a girl may be fertile later or earlier in their cycle than what you're used to but they tell you. When they are going out they are very unreceptive. When they are ready to be bred, i.e. at their most fertile, they flirt and sweep their tails far to the side and try to get the attention of any dog they come across... or for that matter any person with a really flirty girl. It's pretty obvious with a lot of girls lol. Like mine. She's standing across the door to her kennel right now flagging her tail at the cat...
Once she's not bleeding anymore though she won't be fertile at all and won't be at all shy about offering to take Howie's face off if he wants to try argue the point.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wonderpup- thanks for the info, I thought it might have been something to do with Saleen, finances sure are a bummer.

·
Registered
518 Posts
we've had a couple of accidental breedings..arrrghhhh
one was when the female was 5-6 days into her season. the other was when the female was on day 18-19. So we keep apart for 28 days unless she is obviously telling the boys its over.

I too like to wait until the females are older before spaying. It is a safer surgery if they are not in heat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts