Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took your advice and got up with Willow at night even though she didn't whine, I took her out of the crate to pee and she did, but then when I went back this morning early she'd pood in her crate and walked all through it and it was on her feet and her tummy and she'd jumped up the crate door and smeared poo all over the bars. What a mess!!!

When I put her in her crate she screams the place down for about half an hour, soulful cries which break my heart lol but I know she's been pee and has been fed and had a drink earlier at dinner and has a blanket and a water bottle, but she just screams and screams. Eventually she stops and I never go in to soothe her (I've been burnt with that one before)

Being almost 8 weeks (breeder had enough by 7 weeks it seems, all went at 7 weeks) she goes pee and poo when ever were ever, I'm puppy pad training her and we're getting results, but she doesn't actively seek out the pad which I never move yet till she knows it well. I put her on it and 50% of the time she'll go when I say go pee pee, but 50% she wanders off again and again, and I'll watch her till I see the signs and try again, with her having 4 inch long legs lol a squat takes a milli second, but I scoop her up mid flow and place her on the pad, rarely will she complete the pee though, she just wanders off.

Any advice as to my technique etc very much apreciated.

I know advice has been given and I have tried it and I'm still having trouble.

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow, 7 weeks is really little, poor girl has had a huge life change so while I am no expert I'd give her some slack. Puppet learned to use the pads by herself on her pen. I put her pen and lined it with the plastic I had for my kitched cabinets, I put the bed on one end, the pads on the other and she had some room in between with water and food and toys. I set her pen in a rectangular shape. She did step on poo and pee a few times, but after a whileI think your pup will not like being dirty, and will start avoiding the poo.

I had a 24 inch crate for Puppet too, and since she was so small i put a smaller crate bed (pad) sideways on half the crate and a peepee pad on the other half, she figured which one was for what pretty quick. I can't say about poop because as bad as she was with the peepees, she lerned to control her poop really quickly.

Eventually she learned to pee in her pads overnight, I set out 4 of them in the bedroom with the door closed. EVentually she graduated to full roam of the house, but she started peeingin the living room until I realized she did not like going potty in he bedroom, so now I leave them in the living room and no problems. I still set out 4 pads because she is a walker, she walks out a bit until she picks her peepee spot, so this works better for her.

I am not sure if this is any help, but when she was little I also got her a 23 in travel crate. Because it was darker, much shorter and a little smaller, I think she felt much more secure in it. I put it on top of the night table so she would not feel so alone at night. Instead of going out all the time at night we;d take her out to the pen with the pads. Now we know she needs to go because she licks our face non stop for a while and responds to "need to go potty?".

Good luck with WIllow! Just remember she is really little, and as frustrating and even overwhelming as it is she will learn with time and patience. I noticed a huge change around four months. She became much more "grown up", I am not even sure how to explain it lol.

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
Time, patience, perseverance. At 7 - 8 weeks she is an absolute baby - and has next to no control over her bladder and bowels. It's therefore more luck and judgement that you get her out at the right time. These are the toughest weeks - at 12 weeks she will begin to get control, and it will continue to improve rapidly until she should really be able to hold it at 6 months.

I have to say I had more luck having mine in bed with me than in a crate - I slept with one ear cocked, and at the first signs of restlessness had the puppy up and out. We had one or two small accidents, but none of that mess-trailed-everywhere stuff. And bedding bungs in the washing machine, anyway!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I will say the same as others - 7 weeks is SO young. There is no way she's going to "get it" at this time. She has no control over her bladder or bowels. Just keep being consistant with your training and she will eventually get it. I know how frustrating it is right now, but she will eventually get it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I agree with the others. When Sandy was 8 weeks she pooped it seemed like non-stop (though would not overnight in crate). Piddles everywhere. They can't really hold it right now.

Make sure your not feeding her close to bedtime and limit water near bed time.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
She is too young to expect any results at this time. I think peeing on the pad 50% of the time at 8 weeks old is excellent!

Puppies are a lot of work. When mine was a pup I took him outside to potty constantly. I never wanted him to potty in the house, so we never used pads. If he wasn't right there with me (with me watching his every move, not doing dishes or watching TV or whatever) then he was in his crate, in his X pen or on a leash. I never let him out of my sight. I took him out to potty (on leash) every hour or so when he was 16 weeks. I took him out after playing for a while, after eating, after napping and just if I thought he hadn't gone in a while.

I also fed him at the same times every day. This way his poop was always consistent (I still feed him on a schedule). He poops in the morning between 7:30 and 9:30 am and poops in the evening between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. like clockwork.

How late do you feed your puppy dinner? Do you make sure she's had an evening poo before bedtime?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Oh, one more thing. Every time he had an accident in the house I reminded myself that it was my fault, not his. He was a baby. If I did not anticipate his needs, he had accidents. I just promptly cleaned them up and redoubled my efforts. I cleaned up lots of pee and poop. It's part of puppyhood. It gets better though!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hahaha don't expect instant results, it's part and parcel of puppy growing up. Once they start to do everything perfectly, you'll have done a job well done.

I was cleaning up after my pup every morning after i wake up, and every evening after i come back from work, clean clean clean clean, and now he suddenly does everything in the pee pad.

He's about 9 months now and it's all fine and dandy, touch wood that he doesn't do it anymore :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feed her 3 or 4 times a day (sometimes she doesn't eat the fourth) morning, lunch, 4ish an 8ish pm. Her breeder fed her 5 times, the last being 10pm, but the vet said I can drop that feed. She's been using the pee pad herself most of the day today and yesterday, She's about 60% succesful now I'm very proud of her efforts:act-up: she's not crying so much at night any more either, just a few minutes of protest hehe. We're moving on the 21st and the kitchen there is much smaller and enclosed. So I plan on putting a baby gate up at the kitchen door and leaving her crate in there with the crate door open and pee pads out in front of the crate by the back door. This way she can come out to use her pads and sleep in a clean bed, also the pad by the back door is perfect as thats were she will be going out to do her business during the day, now and all her life while we live there. its totally fenced in and safe. So, I'm hoping in the new house it'll go quite smoothly. she had her first needle today and she screamed the place down lol poor baby was NOT impressed! Back again for her last needle in 2 weeks and a week after that she can walk on her own rather than us carrying her everywere!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts