Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! So my standard poodle Cinder has had dry skin ever since I brought him home at 8 weeks and used to constantly scratch himself and gnaw at his paws. Following the vet's recommendation, I changed to a higher quality food and added fish oil to his daily intake and he seemed to get a lot better for a few months. But now he's back to constantly scratching himself! He's around 6.5 months, could this be because his coat's starting to change? What else can I do to help alleviate his dry skin and dandruff? I brush him using a slicker brush and The Stuff coat conditioner every other day, and I give him a bath with Earthbath Oatmeal/Aloe shampoo and conditioner every 3 weeks or so. Is there a better brand out there that won't break the wallet?

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
I have found using a good grooming spray like "Magic Touch Grooming Spray #3" (thanks to Mysticrealm for suggesting it) It may seem a bit pricey but you can get the concentrate and dilute.

I also have found "Warren London Hydrating Butter" to be great. Take a dollop and warm in your hand then just rub into coat.

I believe these are both available on Amazon.

Personally, I didn't like "The Stuff" - didn't seem to help Asta a whole lot.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
If your puppy doesn’t improve with the diet change or different bathing and grooming product options, consider taking him to a vet dermatologist. That’s a wallet breaker, but they get to the root of the problem quickly. Try some foot baths with your oatmeal shampoo, for itchy feet in the meantime. Hope you and your pup find relief:)

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Change his food again and go with a different protein (chicken instead of beef, for example) and also a limited ingredient food, for sensitive dogs.

I buy Go! Salmon for my sensitive one. Going raw would certainly solve the problem if it’s food related, since it’s only one ingredient. Ypu just have to find the right protein (animal).

Does he get bathed enough (or too much) and he is rinsed thorougly ? Maybe change shampoo too.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
If he is chewing on his feet or if his ears are gunky you are most likely dealing with allergies and a Animal Dermatologist would be the place to visit. Could be environmental or food allergies so for now go with a limited ingredient food and foot bathes. Spraying feet with a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and water can help with itching as it kills the yeast if the feet are yeasty (yeasty feet will smell like fritos LOL) Google Yeast Infections in Dogs for more info.

P.S. if your dog should have grain allergies the oatmeal shampoo is not good! I would change shampoos too!

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I agree with MollyMuiMa. Ditch the oatmeal soap. I'd go with something like Coat Handler Hypoallergenic from Groomer's Choice. Be sure to dilute all shampoos and conditioners, and to rinse well beyond what you think you need after the shampoo. If you use (for example) Coat Handler conditioner, no need to super completely rinse. A bit of that very diluted conditioner left behind may be soothing.

I've read a dilute apple cider vinegar with the mother on the feet that doesn't get rinsed may be a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help everyone! I should clarify that he isn't gnawing his paws or his ears so I don't think he has an yeast infection (I check pretty regularly and clean his ears weekly), he's just constantly scratching and licking himself. I keep finding chunks of fur around, so I'm wondering if his coat's changing? It could just be that he's scratching hard enough to pull out chunks of fur. I'll try out the hydrating butter and switch to a new shampoo/conditioner without oatmeal and a new protein! Also a quick question - I have two slicker brushes. One goes through his coat pretty easily and comes out fairly clean after I brush him down, while the other seems to get deeper but pulls out a ton of fur and is completely filled with fur after brushing. Which one should I be using?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts