Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be taking Chagall over to the vet in a few hours but wonder if anyone can suggest something to help what's ailing him...he's been licking his right front paw between the toes to the point the skin is angry red. This started about a day or so ago. His feet are shaved and he's kept very clean. His ears seem fine and he seems fine overall, just that nasty itching which has him licking one of his paws. I hope this isn't an allergy starting--I went through that with our terrier for 16 years!, but I'm bracing myself. He'll be 1 year old next week and is on FROMM food, which he just loves. He also loves playing outside on the grass, in the woods, etc. so I'm hoping this isn't going to be an environmental allergy thing! The breeder told me to try cortisone plus cream, but I want the vet to see him first. When I called this morning the vet's receptionist told me his initial thinking is he'll give Chagall a shot, which I'm thinking is a steriod. I've washed off Chagall's paw and he's got a sock on it for now. Just looking for some ideas here to make and keep him comfortable. Sorry but I am an anxious poodle mom!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
What about rubbing baby powder into it, or Gold Bond? You could try calamine lotion but will have to keep it covered so he doesn't lick it. Was he just recently clipped?

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Could he have picked up a sliver or thorn? My mix breed, Hannah, was picking at a foot one time and, actually, slightly lame on it as well... My daughter spread her toes apart and found a little spiney thorn between her toes. Once it came out she was fine - but she certainly didn't like it in there!! Good luck and hopefully it's something simple to fix!

ETA - Hannah also has reactions to bee/wasp stings - could he have been stung on his paw? Just a thought...

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for being there!! I've been putting Gold Bond Powder on the irritation since it flared up yesterday. He was clipped 4/29 so I don't know if there's a connection there. I just put the sock on his paw today so he probably did just licked off all the powder before then. I've really looked at the paw and don't see anything in it like a splinter or anything, and the irritation is between several toes so maybe something in the grass (a weed, thorns, etc.) did get him. The vet will see him in an hour. I just have to stop him from immediately giving Chagall a shot and make him ponder what might have caused the problem first. I know he's going to think allergies! My vet is a good guy but not too chatty and usually just wants to "do his thing." Again, many thanks for caring and trying to help. You made me feel better, now I'll get Chagall to feel better!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I would say if he was clipped over a week ago and he just now started bothering the foot, it probably isn't because of that - it's gotta either be an irritation from something he stepped on, or something that isn't agreeing with him in his food. Hopefully the vet will listen to your concerns and find the actual reason so you can prevent it from happening again!! Let us know the outcome!! (((Chagall)))

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Let us know what the vet says. I think the fact that it's one paw only could mean it's something localized... a bug bite, sticker or thorn or something. Good luck!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well, you've probably already been to the vet by now, but thought I'd put my 2 cents in here.

His licking (even for a short time) has added bacteria and/or yeast in between his toes and that's compounding the problem that caused him to start licking in the first place. It might help to soak his foot in some very strong cooled tea to sooth the irritation and then you can apply a small amount of Desitin (covered by a sock or bootie) or continue to use the powder with zinc oxide.

I hope the vet found the CAUSE of the irritation, but never take this behavior lightly with poodles, as they can be prone to cancer of the digits, interdigital cyst's, and other toe problems.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The vet saw nothing in Chagall's paw that concerned him or made him think anything much was going on. He gave me six capsules of 25 mg. of Benadryl to try. He thinks perhaps Chagall steppped onto something or other that initally irritated his paw and he just continued to lick it. I am not wholly reassured as of yet (that's just how I am!). Now that Chagall's had one caspule of Benadryl and is wearing a sock on his "boo-boo" foot, which is covered in Gold Bond Powder, I caught him licking his other front paw! I sat and pondered what could be going on. I rotate his food, always using a forumula of Fromm dry, each time he finishes a bag. Last week I put him on Fromm's Salmon A La Vegetables, something he's had before. I scoured the ingredients and spotted no change in them. But to be safe, tomorrow I'll take him off that food and switch him back to either Fromm's Duck and Sweet Potatoes or Pork. I just so hope I am making a mountain out of a mole hill, but my "radar" is typically pretty good and I am very, very observant of my dog. Hard not to be, he's practically a cojoined twin with me! The only place I go that he doesn't is to work. It also occurs to me the dew's been heavy lately as we trot through the grass and woods each morning and maybe that spawned something? I think you're quite right, Cameo, about the initial problem being compounded by his licking. I appreciate and will follow your suggestion for the tea soak--earlier I'd read that same advice on the internet and wasn't certain whether I should try it. I will continue to watch Chagall like a doting poodle mother, oh gee!, that's just what I am! I'll also go net surfing to learn (and scare myself silly) about all toe ailments and problems poodles may suffer. I deeply appreciate your advice!!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It sounds to me like an enviornmental allergy issue. Its the perfect time of year for it to start. Most dogs that have these lick their feet, and it usually starts at a couple years old.

Riley has enviornmental allergies and chews his feet in the summer/fall. He will lick huge ulcers in his feet, and chew off pieces of his pads. It gets worse every year with him. I hope Chagell doesnt have a huge issue with it!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Our GRD has the seasonal allergies. She started around that age too. She licks incessantly from spring until winter set in. We have changed her dog food to a better kind and give her fish oil too. She is doing much better since last fall and her hair has grown in in all of the spots she licked bald. She does still occasionally lick her feet now and again but doesn't make sores anymore.

I hope you find the answer to your problem soon and that it is nothing serious.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am sorry to hear your beautiful Riley suffers so with seasonal allergies! I am hoping against hope Chagall does not have to endure the same. I am, however, hearing that voice in my head saying, "uh-oh, this is NOT a good thing!" He's had two Benadryl between yesterday afternoon and this morning and they've made him tired, but it's too soon to see if he's getting much relief. The vet didn't say I should be treating his paw, which is wicked red beneath the toes all along the pad, topically. I have a love-hate thing with my vet sometimes. He is a minimalist when it comes to medicating, which is good, and conversing, which isn't so good. But he was a saint during our last dog's illness (came to our house, called often, etc.) and euthanasia so I stick with him. I am probably going to go for a second opinion this week just the same if things don't improve. I am still putting Gold Bond Powder on the "raw paw" and covering it with a sock at bedtime and at different intervals throughout the day to try to give it time to heal and prevent a total skin breakdown, a nightmare you clearly know all too well. What has worked for your Riley in terms of getting him comfortable? And thanks for keeping your fingers crossed for us hoping Chagall's problem doesn't mushroom into something bigger.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's heartening to hear your GRD's allergy situation has improved, spoospirit! Let's hope she can be Chagall's "role model" in that regard. I keep Chagall on a salmon oil supplement year round and I'm careful with his diet so maybe his immune system will be able to withstand the seasonal assualt. (okay, so I'm a bit of a dreamer!) I am a little beside myself because like all of us on this forum I want my poodle to have a perfect life and selfishily I miss my spunky playmate, who is Benadryl dopey right now. Thanks for sharing your experience with me and for your well wishes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You can get dirt/bacteria jam under the skin were the toe nails come out of the paw. It can become very irritated and you will have the same symptoms as Chagall has "licking between the toes." That area can be cleaned.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, I think that's a good thought, Taxi. Since it's just happening (for now) on one paw, maybe it could be a dirt/bacteria thing? Of course this answer would be preferrble to allergies, or heaven forbid something way worse! I always wipe his paws before he comes inside, either with a shammy or aloe unscented baby wipe, or both. Do you think I should actually be washing his paws more, with a gentle shampoo, as well? I don't know whether more moisture is a good idea or not...so much to think about such a litttle paw!

·
Registered
114 Posts
We wipe the their feet all the time before they come in the house. We have a creek behind the house and it is tidal. At low tide they like to get bottles that are laying in the mud and it can get underneath the skin. Since this irriatation has happen to one of them before I am aware of it. When washing the mud off I make sure it is not under the skin. Also when I clip their toes, I also push the skin back to see if it is clean. You can use the same solution to clean the toes as you do for their ears. (we do our own grooming) We use "Vet Solutions" ear cleaning solution.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
VERY helpful suggestion and what brilliant idea about using the ear cleaning solution to cleanse the paws! It's got to be gentle enough. Thank a million!!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
As for topically treating it, we dont advise our clients to. Putting gels/ointments on them just seems to draw the dogs attention there and they want to lick the product off. Also some products (like neosporin) can actually impeed skin healing. Fish oil is a great thing to have them on like mentioned! The omega 3s really reduce inflammation.

As for Riley, his is not a happy case. His allergies seem to get worse every year. There is really no medication we have found that gives him relief. The only thing is benadryl at a high enough dose (150-200mg 3x a day) that it really knocks him out. We have tried all the antihistamines and others. The one thing that Really gave him relief was a steroid injection! It is a bandaid fix and doesnt address the root problem. Unfortunatly with allergies you know what teh root problem is, but not much can be done. The injection really gave him relief, and at that point the risks were worth it. Unfortunatly, Riley had a bad reaction to steroids so he cant get the shots anymore. We give them to client dogs all the time without problems though, so it just depends on how bad he is. If oral meds can control it then thats great.

Riley wears an ecollar when he is really bad to keep him from mutalating his feet. One time they all swelled up so bad, and he got major ulcers/infections between his toes. Bathing his feet often does help. Also he gets put on a certain antibiotic during the season that also seems to help. It is something we battle through as we cant find anything to help him.
Not the most motavational story i know. I really hope Chagalls dont turn into this and can be easily controlled!! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting advice about avoiding topical treatments so as not to encourage a dog to lick all the more! Never thought of that, though likely my vet did and that's why he told me not to apply anything to the paw when I asked about doing so. It's as though you, bigpoodleperson, completed his thought out loud! (Got to get him to talk more. He answers direct questions with one syllable answers and doesn't volunteer much. I do believe he knows what he's doing, he just doesn't provide the narration, which I SO need!) It may be we'll up the Benadryl aftering giving the initial 25 mg. 2x's daily, I'll see what the vet says this week. You also made me feel better about getting Chagall a steriod shot, should that be deemed necessary. It saddens me to hear how your poor Riley has to be drugged up and wear the E-collar and yet still suffers! I actually find it useful to hear "worst case scenarios," such as your Riley endures. Once you contemplate the worst possiblity, whatever happens seems more manageable. You've been a wealth of information and comfort, I sure appreciate it! I do understand that allergy causes are illusive and tough to pinpoint. I will keep hope that somehow Riley can be made more comfortable. I'm going now to pick up an E-collar, just in case we need it. My plan is to try to keep Chagall so well exercised that he sleeps more and licks less so the paw can heal up. At the moment, that strategy is working and he's fast asleep, shhh!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I was wondering if thing's improved?

Versus starting a new thread - since yours is so similar to what I am wondering about.

Suri has been bugging her foot the last few days. So I bathed them today - which I normally do every 2 weeks and we skipped last weekend. Anyway I trimmed her feet so I could see better why she was bothering it - licking terrible. It is very red, and she seems very irritated with it at some points. Before I read what BPP said (which I really rely on) :eek:hwell: I did rub cortizone on and put a sock on her foot, did the benedryl and now we will wait and see.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts